Rawz "Natural flavors"

CatEng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just bought some Rawz rabbit for a cat who has a suspected chicken allergy, and the can lists "natural flavors" on their ingredient list. Based on their website they can be vegetables, beef or chicken based. I contacted customer service but the answer I got was "they are the flavors from the cooking process and not added protein sources". But let's face it, water used to cook chicken that tastes like chicken is likely to contain chicken protein.

Has anyone had issues with feeding this to a cat allergic to chicken? Any reactions (mild or severe)?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rawz knows who buys their food. They aren't crossing the protein streams in their single protein pates. I fed Rawz in the turkey and rabbit flavors to an IBD/SCL cat for a couple of years without issues. And this cat was sensitive enough to detect the poultry in FortiFlora. Rawz rabbit does not have chicken and will not be cooked with chicken. Krista finally achieved remission eating Rawz rabbit when I finally got rid of the small amount of fish flakes I was using to wrap her pred pill. If there was chicken in the Rawz, she would have never reached remission. Sadly, it was too little, too late for her. But that wasn't the Rawz' fault. Her lymphoma reduced her to less than half the cat she was before we finally found and eliminated all the triggers. She would succumb to a bladder infection a month later. But that last month, she spent it in remission without any butt or gut episodes. And a large part of that was the Rawz rabbit she was eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatEng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Krista :( but at least that's very reassuring that they're careful with that. I did ask customer service again and they clarified that they only add the flavors of whatever protein is present in the ingredients.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
No issues here… My boy has a chicken allergy too and I feed him Rawz Turkey and/or Rawz Duck daily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatEng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh that's good to know! But sadly I think the Rawz rabbit is off the table for us anyway. We gave him that, and maybe it was just the change in food, but we had the worst week we've had in months of tummy issues (constipation and diarrhea alternating), and he was sad and unwell.