Raising a 1-Day-Old Orphaned Kitten

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So just another poop question (and I hope is the last poop photo that I post here…)
Now the little guy did a perfect toothpaste like poop but it had a little bit of dark thing inside hope it’s not sth to worry about. His formula is rich on Fe maybe it has sth to do with that ?
Oh and to answer Margot Lane Margot Lane yeah he has a heating pad! And I have it on medium always
Yeah, eternal discussion among rescuers. A momma usually eates up the poo, a breeder does seldom see any poo. so its usually just rescuers whom see the poo.

Excellent with this tooth paste consistence.
What is the dark thing? Difficult to guess. MAY be if its much iron / Fe... MAY be a tiny droplet of blood. Lets hope its natural...

But whom shall be cautious and look alike a hawk, if not you?? YOU are the caretaker / momma in charge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, eternal discussion among rescuers. A momma usually eates up the poo, a breeder does seldom see any poo. so its usually just rescuers whom see the poo.

Excellent with this tooth paste consistence.
What is the dark thing? Difficult to guess. MAY be if its much iron / Fe... MAY be a tiny droplet of blood. Lets hope its natural...

But whom shall be cautious and look alike a hawk, if not you?? YOU are the caretaker / momma in charge.
Whatever it was it’s gone now thank god
😩
We are getting bigger and bigger now on 175 grams! I don’t want to jinx it !

ChrisCraigCritters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just joined and this is my first response. Your kitten looks so healthy and happy. Its a boy, for sure! Looks like he gets a little chubby belly after eating but not bloated. Great job!! I would expect that his eyes will open soon and he will see his mama!

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question
In the last 3 meals the kitten dispute the fact that has a huge appetiser for food drinks only 2-4 ml of milk
It’s like something is wrong with the bottle ? I have done some testing and the milk comes out ok

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it’s just weird to me cause in the morning he had full appetite he ate 5 times 4-7 ml and now the last 5 meals he eats 2-4ml and he is not like he is not hungry
Maybe it’s what you say he doesn’t want too much because after food he seems calm
He is purring and doing his paws on the blankets

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An update to the kitten
He hasn’t gain any good amount of weight from Monday
He was 175grams and today he is 180grams
I hope this scales up and not down :(

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many days old is he? He sounds healthy and his overall weight is good.
He is about 10 -11 days old
I think the kitten lady has given me the creeps cause she says that they should gain 10 grams per day
Other than that he eats ok
From yesterday he doesn’t suckle his nipple bottle that hard so I have to try feeding him 2-3 times in order to eat properly, without of course squeezing any milk with force inside of his mouth . If he doesn’t want at all I don’t pressure him
I don’t know he had a burst yesterday morning eating so much and then that 😂
Other than that he is very active for a newborn when I wake him up and he is suckling my hand many times .he turns his belly for scratches
He is even climbing on his teddy bears

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have another question
Something the kitten when he swallows too quickly some milk comes out of his mouth
I now that is a not good thing I stop him when he does that immediately but I don’t understand how this is happening
I mean the hole in the nipple is not that big
When I have the bottle vertical only fire drops comes out

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something the kitten when he swallows too quickly some milk comes out of his mouth
I now that is a not good thing I stop him when he does that immediately but I don’t understand how this is happening
Sorry not his mouth his nose !

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is potentially dangerous. This happens sometimes without negative consequences. but its dangerous... They easily gets fluid into lungs, and usually its the beginning of the end.

Sure he hasnt no spalt? ie a hole in the roof of the mouth (sorry, I dont remember the proper english wording). Although with such a hole he would be difficult to take from a bottle - you would need to use a syringe.

Perhaps you shall use a syringe instead, and give more dropwise?

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t no if he has a hole I’ll check
I have a syringe but she has no nipple and I’m not quite sure I know how to feed him with that

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How do I know if he has a problem because of that
He seems peaceful and breathing ok
Im speculating. I dont know, but having such a hole they will easily get fluids into nose.

What is easiest to observe, is they have difficulty to suckle, because there isnt enough with vacuum... But handfeeding with syringethey may survive... Human children do survive as we all know, so cat kittens may too suvive if the damage not too groeesque.

But you say, so far he has added properly, 10+ grammes a day? If so he, proparly suckles OK.

Anyway, you must experiment, because this with kmr coming out via nose, although not automatically fatal, is potentially dangerous.

Some manage well using a little sponge, size of make up sponge. Soak it with kmr, and kittens sucks on the sponge... This works for some.

Poppy Seisaki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im speculating. I dont know, but having such a hole they will easily get fluids into nose.

What is easiest to observe, is they have difficulty to suckle, because there isnt enough with vacuum... But handfeeding with syringethey may survive... Human children do survive as we all know, so cat kittens may too suvive if the damage not too groeesque.

But you say, so far he has added properly, 10+ grammes a day? If so he, proparly suckles OK.

Anyway, you must experiment, because this with kmr coming out via nose, although not automatically fatal, is potentially dangerous.

Some manage well using a little sponge, size of make up sponge. Soak it with kmr, and kittens sucks on the sponge... This works for some.
Yeah he doesn’t do this frequently and when I see a bubble I stop feeding it’s not like a good amount of milk comes out cause I monitor it
But I will ask also tomorrow the vet
Right now he ate just fine and an amount of 9 ml