Ragdoll (bad genes)?

straightcatman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I received a free one year old neutered ragdoll cat from a young couple
today. However, this cat is not adjusting too well in my home. Once he saw
my three year old spayed Siamese he started to growl and to hiss, eventually displacing that hostility onto me. The ragdoll would hide in the carrier and in the cat box bed and growl and hiss if I approached him. At one point he nearly scratched me with his big paws. I put the Siamese in the other room but to no avail this ragdoll remained hostile. I left him in the cat room while I went out and bought some kitty supplies. I came back home and opened the door to the cat room. This ragdoll meowed softly and unexpectedly approached me. I started to pet him and then abruptly he stopped my attempt to show some human affection by biting my hand and proceeded to chase me out of my own room, growling and hissing all the way and wanting to do battle with me. I called a couple of local breeders of ragdolls. A few opined that this animal must have been caged for too long and hasn't yet been fully socialized to accept human company. I wonder if he was that aggressive with his last family. I was told that they had to let go of the cat because of their infant. The couple did not want to have sit-down with me to discuss the cat's history and quirks. It was here's the cat, here's his cat things, and bye. Other breeders thought that the ragdoll is jealous of the Siamese and the detection of the Siamese's scent on my clothes brought about his feline resentment. Any suggestions? Should I return this cat?

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know what to tell you. I ams ure that some of the administrators can help. I will tell carolcat about your problem. She has a ragdoll! I wish you the best of luck.
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan

I received a free one year old neutered ragdoll cat from a young couple
today. However, this cat is not adjusting too well in my home. Once he saw
my three year old spayed Siamese he started to growl and to hiss, eventually displacing that hostility onto me. The ragdoll would hide in the carrier and in the cat box bed and growl and hiss if I approached him. At one point he nearly scratched me with his big paws. I put the Siamese in the other room but to no avail this ragdoll remained hostile. I left him in the cat room while I went out and bought some kitty supplies. I came back home and opened the door to the cat room. This ragdoll meowed softly and unexpectedly approached me. I started to pet him and then abruptly he stopped my attempt to show some human affection by biting my hand and proceeded to chase me out of my own room, growling and hissing all the way and wanting to do battle with me. I called a couple of local breeders of ragdolls. A few opined that this animal must have been caged for too long and hasn't yet been fully socialized to accept human company. I wonder if he was that aggressive with his last family. I was told that they had to let go of the cat because of their infant. The couple did not want to have sit-down with me to discuss the cat's history and quirks. It was here's the cat, here's his cat things, and bye. Other breeders thought that the ragdoll is jealous of the Siamese and the detection of the Siamese's scent on my clothes brought about his feline resentment. Any suggestions? Should I return this cat?

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont think the problem is with the ragdoll, its the way in which you have introduced him to your household.

he may or may not be an aggressive cat but regardless his whole worlds been tunred upside down
one minute he was living with his 'family' the next they have left him with a stranger who he isnt sure if he can trust and with a strange cat that he is expected to make friends with.

i would buy some feliway (calming pheremone) and read the threads here on cat introduction. you might have to start again in getting to know this new cat.

Hissy can give you some wonderful tips on helping your cat get used to his new house and to you.

good luck

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold on - you got him today? And he is aggressive towards you and your other cat? The poor thing is probably scared stiff and trying to defend and assert himself in the only way he knows how. He doesn't recognise any of you as friends - why should he? His world has been torn apart. He had a home and now he is among strange people, a strange cat whose territory he knows he is invading, and strange smells everywhere. Look on this site for the introduction thread for how to gradually bring a new cat home and help it adjust to other felines. Sometimes it only takes a few days, sometimes a few weeks, but give the guy a chance. Your Siamese too needs time to adjust. Good luck with them - I am sure that with a bit of time they will become friends. ANd once the new cat gets to know you and your smell and knows you are safe to be around, he will not be aggressive towards you either.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you posted a similar thread in breeders corner, maybe ask a mod to merge them or else it will get confusing

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You didn't introduce them properly. Keep them seperated for while and let the new one slowly get used to you and then start slowly introducing the ragdoll to your older cat. This may take time. It is hard to know how to introduce animals and it depends on the individual animal. My cats needed no time to get used to my moms two siamese when I came home from college for break, they got along great within a 1/2 hour of me letting my kitties lose. The dog also go along well with my cats but shamus would attack the dog if it got to close. The dog is now vey much afraid of shamus (very funny becasue the dog is 65 pound sheperd mix and shamus established dominance right away) The point is that it can be very different for different animals and it never hurts to start slowly. They may NEVER like each other but they dont have to, they just have to coexist in the same space without killing each other.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I think you just went about the introductions all wrong. If the cat was approaching you and then when he got close freaked and bit you, then it looks like he was reacting to the smell of your other cats on you. You just need to introduce them again but this time, do it the right way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straightcatman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ragdoll (meowed to me) let me brush him with a nice brush/comb and actually purred when I did it. However, when I got up to leave he hissed at me again. My siamese is in the other room sleeping in my bed as usual. She loves to sleep in the afternoons. I hope the vocality of the siamese won't alarm the the quiet ragdoll.

straightcatman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brushed him again but this time he growled, bit me, and attacked the brush. Strange cat.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah I agree with what everyone has said. The new cat and your cat must be seperated and go through a slow proper introduction. He probably won't show aggression towards you, it was just redirected aggression as he is blantanly aware there is what he sees as a threat in the new home. Take it really slow and give him time to adjust to new smells. Read up on proper introductions and feliway can't hurt.

straightcatman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's coming around now. He allows me to pet him and brush him but he ocassionally hisses and bites. I try to leave the room but he chases me and tries to catch me with his paws and takes gentles bites off of my leg pants. His behavior is somewhat unpredictable and erratic.

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This cat may just have some aggression/behavioral problems. My sister's cat just likes to bite and claw people, even her. She's learned to accept his quirky behavior and always tells guests not to touch the cat. Is there any way you can ask the previous owners about the cat's behavior? Is there a reason they didn't want the cat around their new baby?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You had several threads with the same message. I have merged them for you. It is just easier that way. You are in the correct forum to get the help you need. I deal with strays and ferals all the time and I would never put two cats together right away. I do not know if breed specific cats are different. I also do not pet or brush a new cat that comes here for at least a week maybe longer, but again, I deal with the street cats.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she is a beautiful affectionate cat, THOUGH she can be tempermental. She is also very skittish about noises, other animals, new things, iow not very laid back. Ragdolls, as docile and compliant as they are, are like any other cat when it comes to meeting other cats. That can be a VERY stressful situation. One suggestion would be to keep the ragdoll separated with a screen so the other pets can get used to her, and vice versa. Soon enough your ragdoll will be more comfortable with the situation and less stressed. Keep in mind that when stressed even the most lovable docile cat will bite, usually out of fear. Stick with her, Ragdolls are a wonderful breed! Good luck

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't return the ragdoll back to the people you got him from. They will just dump him at a shelter.

What I would do is advertise locally to look for a home with no other pets or kids. Then he might be better. But explain the story to the new owners so they are warned. I suspect the cat started getting aggressive with the couple and around the baby.

I've heard of kiittens living in cages with no proper socialization and then given to the homes and develop numerous behaviorial problems. I wonder where the cat orginally came from - willing to bet it was a kitten mill or a byb of ragdolls.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to give the kitty some time. The poor cat is NOT going to love you or your other cat right away. Like everyone has told you previously, his poor world has been turned upside down. He doesn't understand why he left the home he was used to, to go live in a strange home with a strange cat.

This past March I got a beautiful little spayed 3 year old retired Siamese, SunLee. She was terrified of me and my cats, and the strange new home she had been brought to live in. Not to mention she arrived in an airplane, which was pretty frightening for her. Terrified? She was totoally and blindly traumatized. She was not a feral, but a Breeding, and well loved Siamese cat. At first all she did was hide and tremble. I did was Hissy and the people from TCS told me to do, and seperate her in her own seperate room with food water, and her own litter boxes. I'd go into her room periodically and talk to her and tell her how beautiful I thought she was, but I didn't try to pet her until she came to me. Finally after about 3 days, she came to me and would let me pet her, but if I stood up or moved she would go back to her hiding place which was a shelf so high I couldn't reach it if I tried. It took about 2 weeks with her, before she was ready to come out and be a part of the family. Now, it's as if she's been here all of her life. She loves my Bengal Simba and romps and plays with him. She tolerates my other Siamese, Shane, and has even grabbed at his tail playfully a few times. She is my total cuddle bug little girl, and sleeps with me always. Just give this kitty som time. It is acting normally.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You shouldn't return the ragdoll back to the people you got him from. They will just dump him at a shelter.

What I would do is advertise locally to look for a home with no other pets or kids. Then he might be better. But explain the story to the new owners so they are warned. I suspect the cat started getting aggressive with the couple and around the baby.

I've heard of kiittens living in cages with no proper socialization and then given to the homes and develop numerous behaviorial problems. I wonder where the cat orginally came from - willing to bet it was a kitten mill or a byb of ragdolls.
C'mon, this cat is behaving exactly like anyone would expect. He just needs a week or two to settle in and adjust. This is really not some out of the ordinary behavior for a cat that is thrust in to a new environment and expected to deal with a new house, a new owner and a new feline roomate.

You're jumping to conclusions about the origin of this cat. Why? The new owner has already stated that the cat is making some progress in adjusting. This cat will more than likely be just fine after being given a chance to get used to his new circumstances.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so glad things are better. I know it will keep getting better, too. You are a good daddy!
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan

He's coming around now. He allows me to pet him and brush him but he ocassionally hisses and bites. I try to leave the room but he chases me and tries to catch me with his paws and takes gentles bites off of my leg pants. His behavior is somewhat unpredictable and erratic.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've dealt with new cats coming in, but what concerns me is how the cat was acting in the couple's home with the baby. If this cat was aggressive around the child or biting the owners, then there is something wrong with it.

I'm willing to bet its not as simple as you all think it is. Ragdolls are very docile cats and this action is NOT typical of a ragdoll. Sure the cat might be a little scared but not agressive.

I think there's something a lot more serious if the previous owners just dumped the cat on her and wouldn't tell the entire story.