Quiz: Do you speak Yankee or Dixie English

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
73%: A pretty strong southern score!

Imagine that...
My husband is from the north, and his family likes the way I talk...they say I have an accent, but I dont think so.

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katspixiedust

The only area I've ever heard of having one here in Florida is in Tallahassee. I'm sure there's others elsewhere, but that's all I've heard of!
They dont just sell liquor. They sell cola and stuff too. Its no different than a gas station where you can buy beer. Its not like, rolling up, get a mug and roll out. Theres one in Nags Head, and I believe one is Corolla, but maybe Duck.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by diane8704

They dont just sell liquor. They sell cola and stuff too. Its no different than a gas station where you can buy beer. Its not like, rolling up, get a mug and roll out. Theres one in Nags Head, and I believe one is Corolla, but maybe Duck.
The one in Tallahassee that I have seen pics of is literally like a fastfood drive-thru! You can get kegs and cases of beer or other kinds of liquor right at the window. It's the only kind I've ever seen!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The one in Tallahassee that I have seen pics of is literally like a fastfood drive-thru! You can get kegs and cases of beer or other kinds of liquor right at the window. It's the only kind I've ever seen!
That's like the one down here. But they sell Cola, and stuff, and I don't know if they ACTUALLY sell liquor.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

That's like the one down here. But they sell Cola, and stuff, and I don't know if they ACTUALLY sell liquor.
Yeah I would assume the one in Tally sells sodas as well. That's a good few hour drive from here though so I doubt I'll ever see it in person to find out! I definitely know it has kegs and liquor though from other people who go to FSU up there.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The only area I've ever heard of having one here in Florida is in Tallahassee. I'm sure there's others elsewhere, but that's all I've heard of!
Theres several in Brevard County. Theres a bar and liqour store in Rockledge that has a drivethrough at the package store. We just call it the drivethru. Theres also still a drive through window at a bar called the Crazy Horse in Cocoa. In the early 80's I remember a bar in Cape Canaveral with a drive up window where you could purchase cocktails. At that time, believe it or not, it was LEGAL to consume alcoholic beverages WHILE DRIVING!

As far as my score...57% Dixie. I've been transplanted to Florida from the Northeast. To my neice and nephews up there, I call myselt aunt. To my niece here in Florida I call myself ant, so that one could have gone either way.

I PROMISED myself I would NEVER say y'all when I moved here, but I had to take that back. When I used to wait tables and bartend, I found that customers thought I was speaking to only one of them when I asked "What can I get you?" Saying "what can I get y'all?" solved the problem.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Theres several in Brevard County. Theres a bar and liqour store in Rockledge that has a drivethrough at the package store. We just call it the drivethru. Theres also still a drive through window at a bar called the Crazy Horse in Cocoa. In the early 80's I remember a bar in Cape Canaveral with a drive up window where you could purchase cocktails. At that time, believe it or not, it was LEGAL to consume alcoholic beverages WHILE DRIVING!
Now that's quite a bit closer to me! Perhaps I'll get to see one of these places after all!!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now that's quite a bit closer to me! Perhaps I'll get to see one of these places after all!!
Not much to look at, but comeon down anytime!
(I just had to use the banana)

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Not much to look at, but comeon down anytime!
(I just had to use the banana)

You and those bananas!! Here this ought to really bring a lot of joy to you:

It's a banana dance team!

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic...

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You and those bananas!! Here this ought to really bring a lot of joy to you:

It's a banana dance team!

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic...
Thanks!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised there wasn't a question on you pronounce "oil"

Around here you can hear "awl", "erl", and "arl".

Did you know they get oil from bananas?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
41% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

My dad was in the Navy, I was born in Virginia, moved to Florida, back to Virginia then North Ca-ca-lac-a. When he retired I was 15 and we moved north to Erie.

No wonder I'm so mixed up!

Anyone recall that Motley Crue song?

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, despite the fact that I'm English, I got 61% Dixie English. Which is not surprising really considering the Dixie family come originally from a village just a couple of miles from me. In fact the Grammar School is still called Dixie Grammar.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
42% - barely into the Yankee category. That's what happens when you live abroad half your life, and teach ESL.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
87% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?
not surprising, since i was born & raised here in north Texas!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

I am 51% Dixie, "barely in the Dixie category".....which is surprising, because I'm not even american!
Seriously, was the drivethru liquor store question a joke, or do you guys (note: not y'all lol) actually have those??
yep - there's one in Denton, about 20 minutes from my town... it even looks like a barn. but i call it a drive thru liquor store, not any of those nicknames...

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
86% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just love the posts to this thread by those living in other countries.

Actually, for me this quiz is extremely accurate as I've lived here all of my life.

For me, it's pa-JAM-as, ANT, and OYL, rhyming with boil.