Quitting smoking....

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Snake Lady - I think and hope and pray my start date will be May 2nd. The more I think about it the more scared I get. I got my free patches from the State of MN and thought I'd try lozenges. I know people that have had success with those. Has anyone heard of orange juice and cream of tarter for flushing your system of nicotine?

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

....I think I'm finally at that point...the "getting sick of smoking" point....
Thats the best thing you can do for yourself. Try to build up that unpleasant/disgusted feeling for smoking! I tried quitting countless times before I actually did but the difference between them was that I actually HATED it by the last time. It really helps detesting the way your breath smells, tastes, feels after smoking one. I started hating it so much at the end, I would only smoke half a cig. Did that for the last 6 months. The only time I couldn't hate really was that after meal cig (smoked the whole cig, lol), but by then, the overwhelming disgust for cigs helped me tremendously in quitting. I hope you can do something similar that helps you accomplish your goal! Stay strong and don't give up!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris, you are doing well my friend. Keep it up.

Hubby and I are still non-smokers and it gets better every day. We rarely even think about them anymore but do still every once in awhile. Fortunately it's just a thought and not much of a craving.

to all of you who are trying still or have quit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MNJULZ

Hi Snake Lady - I think and hope and pray my start date will be May 2nd. The more I think about it the more scared I get. I got my free patches from the State of MN and thought I'd try lozenges. I know people that have had success with those. Has anyone heard of orange juice and cream of tarter for flushing your system of nicotine?
I will be trying to quit with you tomorrow. I have the patch as well, and the lozenges. I have the lowest strength of the lozenges but found that it made me all jittery and just felt yucky....so I'll be using the patch.

I use the step 2 patch and have found it works well for me. I smoked while using it (not recommended) and I KNOW the cigarettes I had were not because I needed it, but out of boredom or because they were there.

I have not heard of cream of tarter, but have heard of OJ (something about the citrus helps) and cranberry juice (antioxident) for flushing the nicotine out. Drinking lots of water helps too.

Originally Posted by GrooveRite

Thats the best thing you can do for yourself. Try to build up that unpleasant/disgusted feeling for smoking! I tried quitting countless times before I actually did but the difference between them was that I actually HATED it by the last time. It really helps detesting the way your breath smells, tastes, feels after smoking one. I started hating it so much at the end, I would only smoke half a cig. Did that for the last 6 months. The only time I couldn't hate really was that after meal cig (smoked the whole cig, lol), but by then, the overwhelming disgust for cigs helped me tremendously in quitting. I hope you can do something similar that helps you accomplish your goal! Stay strong and don't give up!
Exactly!!!!!!!!! I think I am at that point.... I'm not getting anything out of smoking....no calming, no anything really. I think I'm finally just tired of smoking. The crap taste in my mouth, sometimes the smell will bother me but its mainly the taste in my mouth. Yuck.

As well, I want to be healthier. I have enough health issues as it is, the issues I cannot do anything about....but there's 2 that I CAN change. Smoking and weight loss. Quitting smoking and losing weight, I think will help my normal health issues.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Chris, you are doing well my friend. Keep it up.

Hubby and I are still non-smokers and it gets better every day. We rarely even think about them anymore but do still every once in awhile. Fortunately it's just a thought and not much of a craving.

to all of you who are trying still or have quit.
Thanks Linda

I know I swore I was gonna quit on the 7th, but I just couldn't...with everything that happened, had I quit I don't think it would have been a forever quit. Now I do....and that's what I want.

I KNOW that once I quit, I cannot ever have a cigarette again in my life. I learned that one already. It's what got me smoking after a 2yr cold turkey quit... I thought I could have just one.... doesn't work that way.

to all the quitters, cutter downers, reformed smokers, etc. May you all continue on your healthy path.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chris,
I left you another long winded pm about smoking and eating healthy.
Offering my complete support and rooting for you - and for everyone that has or is quitting.

Smoke free 25 days

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did smoke yesterday, but as of posting, I have not had a cigarette in 10hrs.

I am in a great deal of pain today, but I'm going to attempt to get my arse moving, have a shower and maybe go pull some weeds.

The more I sit idle, the more I feel the pain, so hopefully with some drugs and activity, I can not think about smoking.

Right now I actually do not want one, so that is good.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 hours!!!
GREAT JOB!

Keep busy, keep your mind busy! YOU DO NOT WANT TO SMOKE!

Way to go Chris!!
I'm so proud of you!!

Today I will not smoke!

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good job Snake lady half the day is over. I've got my first day in and I'm going to bed maybe day 2 will be easier than day 1. I'm taking ziban, got the patch on and using lozenges and still am still craving cigs. Looking forward to the day ending

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's everyone else doing?

I never actually quit, came close but ended up succuming(sp) to peer pressure. Yes I know, I make my own choices. But the person involved, now knows that I WILL be quitting.

I knew I'd have a hard time quitting. Unfortunately I have quite an addictive personality (having dealt with many different addictions in my life) and that played a big part in the smoking.

I picked up a prescription for Champix today, and start taking it tommorrow. I will pick a quit date between 1-2wks after starting the meds. I am chosing June 10th as a quit date (unless I feel the effects sooner....but for now I'm picking a date at the end of the range because of my addiction issues).

I would love to hear from anyone who has used Champix.

The best news: my drug benefits is covering some of it. They cover a once in a lifetime smoking cessation product up to X dollar amount. I've had Zyban before and thought I would have to pay for this. My surprise when the pharmacist rang it in at $5.
I must not have exceeded my alloted $$ amount.

I had been trying the patch, and there were a few times between the last time I posted and now that I should have just quit... I didn't want to smoke, but I did for social reasons. That of course led me back to smoking 10-15/day now.

I do want to quit. I want to live, I want to breath easier.

I was hoping I could arrange the quit date for June 23rd, which is my 2yr wedding anniversary....but I don't want to wait to start taking the pills. My pharmacist did tell me that some people it takes longer to quit than others, so my fallback date is June 23rd if I should happen to need longer than the usual.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CDubbie, Julianne, LilMaggie, how are you guys doing??? I'm curious, if you haven't slipped, have you ever come close to it and what did you do to prevent it? How's food tasting? That is what I'm looking forward to, being able to taste food better. I remember one quit, I was eating some yellow beans and I had never noticed before how very sweet they tasted.

MNJULZ, how is the zyban working for you?

I am soooo proud of everyone who has ever quit smoking, here, in the past, whatever, It's hard and a definate lifestyle change. Great job everyone.

to all the quitters....hope you stay quit
to all the tryers, hope you continue on your path to quitting.

I took my first Champix pill today.... no side effects that I've noticed, so I am happy with that

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Chris.... I am finally posting on your thread, as I had relapsed when you started it, and didn't really want to face the reality that I failed once again on my attempt to quit...
Well.................................. I quit again!

It's been about 2 weeks since I had my last cigarette, and I am doing great! What I used to calm down was, believe it or not, Rescue Remedy
It worked quite well actually! The only thing that is bothering me A LOT, is my insomnia. I.E., I didn't sleep last night (at all), or the night before, as you know...
Chris, forgive me if this has been posted before, as I have not been following this thread as I should have been, but have you ever heard of a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr?
It has worked for me in the past more than Zyban, Wellbutrin, patches, you name it - the book worked better than anything else... It sounds ridiculous as you read, but by the end of the book you just don't need to smoke anymore. It's almost like a written hypnosis...

My problem, and the reason why I always started smoking again, was the occasional puff... Like on a bar, or an event... :just one puff...
Can NOT ever do that again. I need to make this time THE time I quit for good!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Chris, forgive me if this has been posted before, as I have not been following this thread as I should have been, but have you ever heard of a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr?
It has worked for me in the past more than Zyban, Wellbutrin, patches, you name it - the book worked better than anything else... It sounds ridiculous as you read, but by the end of the book you just don't need to smoke anymore. It's almost like a written hypnosis...

My problem, and the reason why I always started smoking again, was the occasional puff... Like on a bar, or an event... :just one puff...
Can NOT ever do that again. I need to make this time THE time I quit for good!!
Thank you for finally posting my friend
I knew you would, when you were ready to.

I have not heard of the book, but maybe I will look into it while I'm taking my champix too. I know that champix isn't going to do it alone, so maybe that book will help as well.

I know exactly what you mean. We have to instill it upon ourselves that we cannot have a cigarette again ever. That's what does alot of quitters in... thinking you can have just one... or just a puff. When I quit for 2yrs, then got in a fight with a coworker, I bummed a smoke to cool off...thinking that would be it.... Nope, I found myself going out for a puff, then bumming more smokes, then buying my own.

You can never touch them again...no drags, no buying, nada.

I hope for you my dear, that this is your final quit.
I hope you will post more as well.....the support is wonderful, and I know I'd like to see this thread continue, for all those out there who ever thought about quitting, or are trying to quit.
we all know how important support is.... moreso when it is coming from former smokers who KNOW what it is like to quit.

My hubby has a hard time supporting me, because he has no clue what I'm going through. He has never smoked, never fought any sort of addiction, and really, has no clue.

I'm so happy for you Carolina.....great job hun, I knew you can do it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcoming Hun
I will post more often for sure!
Please, take a look at the book - it will make your quitting MUCH, I mean, MUCH easier!
And no matter if you think it's a ridiculous, boring, repetitive book, because that's what you are going to think as you read it, just keep reading it, until the end. It's bizarre, but I think it is the best and easier way to quit, hands down.

Research about the author - he has hypnosis clinics all over the world for quitting smoking...

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chris - I'm soooo glad to hear you're taking Champix! Well, not that you're taking drugs but hoping you find that this works for you and you do quit
June 10th is the big day? I'll be rooting for you!
Please make sure you post updates daily! I'd really like to know how well Champix works.

Yep, there are some days I have to chew gum like I haven't eaten for days or chew on a plastic straw because there's always a time where I'm stressed out enough to want to smoke. But thank heavens it passes quickly. I quit almost 2 months ago but I never said it was easy. No quitting any addiction is easy but the up side is that I feel so much more healthier and I can breath. I also know that if I pick up a ciggy now, I'll start smoking again so like an alcoholic with liquor. And yes, food tastes better but so I don't gain lots of weight, I've been keeping bland foods in the house and no snacks or sweets. I do keep sunflower seeds around though.

Carolinalima - 2 weeks!
You go girl!! I'm sorry but I never knew you smoked
I love to hear that people quit though! Good job!

Smoke free 55 days....today I will not smoke.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

CDubbie, Julianne, LilMaggie, how are you guys doing??? I'm curious, if you haven't slipped, have you ever come close to it and what did you do to prevent it? How's food tasting? That is what I'm looking forward to, being able to taste food better. I remember one quit, I was eating some yellow beans and I had never noticed before how very sweet they tasted.
Hi Snake Lady - sorry about your troubles. Not uncommon for many attempts before the 'last' quit. You've learned something, which is important (e.g. that social smoking is your downfall)

I'm on d113 and doing OK. I wish it had been easier. The finish line seems to get further away. Around day 90-95 I almost folded, I just could not go on as a quitter it was just sooooooo bad (smoking and quitting greatly changes your brain chemistry. The healing of that has been a rough ride for me). I was so upset that I was going to relapse and that I could not go on but fate brought me in contact with an addiction counselor. THAT has really been the key. I have not had even one drag since 2/8/9. She tells me I'm on the "6mn plan" LOL. If I never have to quit again I think I will not begrudge this experience. Regardless, I'm statisically doing better than like 90% of other ppl who try to quit the first time. I truly do not know where this fortitude is coming from, it is really unlike me LOL.

I am disappointed about food tasting: I think it tastes worse about 50% of the time (like too salty, too bland, tasting "spoiled", etc). My sense of smell has always been good so just a little bit of an improvement. I will say though, fruit juice is an explosion of taste that was surprising and intense.

Dont give up snakelady. Dont quit quitting.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't posted this before but since it relates to this thread - here goes.

Saturday my younger brother had a single lung transplant due to smoking and COPD. He was staying with us from November to January 31st when it became apparent that I we did not live close enough to the transplant hospital and could not provide him the support he needed to get to the hospital 3 days a week unless I quit my job which was not feasible. The NB healthcare people found him a retirement home close to the hospital where he had 3 square meals a day and snacks if he wanted between meals which was what he needed to keep his strength up for the operation. Some folks have waited over a year for a lung but my brother got very lucky. He came back to Ontario and checked into the retirement home 4 weeks ago and was called for the transplant this past weekend. He was called the weekend before but the lung turned out not to be suitable. He came through the operation very well and as at this moment is still in ICU but doing well.

Any prayers you folks could muster up for him would be appreciated and I in turn will pray that you will all be successful in quitting smoking and getting that weight off your backs.

I tried unsuccessfully for years and it was because I honestly like smoking and really didn't want to quit but just knew I should.

Seeing my brother sitting in our living room hooked up to an oxygen machine 24/7 plus the oxygen machine the hospital sent home for me when I was released from the hospital was our wake-up call. It scared the pants off my hubby so he quit along with me.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yosemite - I'm relieved to hear your brother is doing well, that is a big deal (a tx). I wish him continued health and good wishes.

Whatever it takes, it takes, to quit. I'm sooooo addicted and didnt want to quit - still don't
Doesn't matter how I feel about it as long as I dont smoke. I hope I quit early enough. My breathing did improve almost immediately.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Any prayers you folks could muster up for him would be appreciated and I in turn will pray that you will all be successful in quitting smoking and getting that weight off your backs.
omgosh Linda.... how incredibly scary, and what an awakening. I'd like to respond more to all the posts above but I have to leave for physio....but I had to respond to this part of your post.

My thoughts are with your brother, his family, you, everyone involved that he recovers well from the surgery and goes on to live a healthy life

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I haven't posted this before but since it relates to this thread - here goes.

Saturday my younger brother had a single lung transplant due to smoking and COPD. He was staying with us from November to January 31st when it became apparent that I we did not live close enough to the transplant hospital and could not provide him the support he needed to get to the hospital 3 days a week unless I quit my job which was not feasible. The NB healthcare people found him a retirement home close to the hospital where he had 3 square meals a day and snacks if he wanted between meals which was what he needed to keep his strength up for the operation. Some folks have waited over a year for a lung but my brother got very lucky. He came back to Ontario and checked into the retirement home 4 weeks ago and was called for the transplant this past weekend. He was called the weekend before but the lung turned out not to be suitable. He came through the operation very well and as at this moment is still in ICU but doing well.

I tried unsuccessfully for years and it was because I honestly like smoking and really didn't want to quit but just knew I should.

Seeing my brother sitting in our living room hooked up to an oxygen machine 24/7 plus the oxygen machine the hospital sent home for me when I was released from the hospital was our wake-up call. It scared the pants off my hubby so he quit along with me.
Whoa, THAT'S scary!! Yes, that's a real wake up call!! I'm glad to hear he's doing well in ICU.
Lots of prayers and for a full healthy recovery!!
Would you keep us updated on how he's doing?

Smoke free 56 days. Today I will not smoke.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Whoa, THAT'S scary!! Yes, that's a real wake up call!! I'm glad to hear he's doing well in ICU.
Lots of prayers and for a full healthy recovery!!
Would you keep us updated on how he's doing?

Smoke free 56 days. Today I will not smoke.
Good for you!

I will keep you all posted and thank you so much for your prayers and vibes.