Questions about Mammary Hyperplasia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that mastisis can occur if there is an infection in a SPAYED cat? Also, is surgery sometimes necessary to treat mastitis?

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm supposed to apply pyodine and cicatrin powder on my cat. My question is is it fine if she licks it or I'm supposed to make her wear a cone after applying them? If yes, then for how long? My vet is not responding and i need an urgent answer. (Picture attached)

Attachments

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are antiseptics so to be on the safe side I would put a collar on her until they are absorbed, I'm not sure how long it would take but if she's ok with the collar, leave it on her.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello A Aafia Ijaz . Did your cat's ulcerative lesions healed? How is she doing now?
They did but they still show up every month or two at times. She's doing fine however, she vomits almost everyday as she has kidney disease

Saif Rhy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm pleased to hear the wound healed, although it's unfortunate she now has kidney disease. I pray that she overcomes the kidney disease also.

Please tell me, was there any intervention/surgery done since your last post on Feb 10? How did you get the wound treated? Is she wearing any cone/cloth? Is she under any medication for the ulcers? Are you applying any ointment/antiseptic on the area?

From what I've been reading on your posts, my cat has developed something very similar to yours since last year, and we are yet to find a proper diagostic. We did so many surgeries, tried all sorts of antibiotics, steroids, etc., but the lumps and the ulcers are still present. We keep him inside and he is wearing a cloth to prevent him licking/damaging the site and introducing any sort of infection, but honestly, it's painful to see him living so secluded. We are desperately looking for ways to treat him and help him have his normal life back. I'm gathering as much information as possible to see about any possible treatments and discuss it with my vet. I am grateful if you could help me on that.

I read stuffs about Panniculitis disease (Mycobacterial, Sterile, etc.) and was wondering if your vet ever discuss this possibility with you?

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pleased to hear the wound healed, although it's unfortunate she now has kidney disease. I pray that she overcomes the kidney disease also.

Please tell me, was there any intervention/surgery done since your last post on Feb 10? How did you get the wound treated? Is she wearing any cone/cloth? Is she under any medication for the ulcers? Are you applying any ointment/antiseptic on the area?

From what I've been reading on your posts, my cat has developed something very similar to yours since last year, and we are yet to find a proper diagnostic. We did so many surgeries, tried all sorts of antibiotics, steroids, etc., but the lumps and the ulcers are still present. We keep him inside and he is wearing a cloth to prevent him licking/damaging the site and introducing any sort of infection, but honestly, it's painful to see him living so secluded. We are desperately looking for ways to treat him and help him have his normal life back. I'm gathering as much information as possible to see about any possible treatments and discuss it with my vet. I am grateful if you could help me on that.

I read stuffs about Panniculitis disease (Mycobacterial, Sterile, etc.) and was wondering if your vet ever discuss this possibility with you?
My cat had 3 surgeries in total. Last time she had her lump removed last year in January. However, she developed another lump in another mammary gland after a week of surgery since the vet didn't remove the entire mammary chain. I think her lesions appeared because of the lumps that started growing. I was applying pyodine and cicatrin powder. It's been a long time since the lesions last appeared but I'm not really sure because she has a lot of fur down there it's hard to see. I only made her wear a cone after applying the pyodine and cicatrin powder. I would let her lick her wounds because it was very painful to see her like that with a cone. My cat too, wore cone for a very long time as she had 3 surgeries. Your cat most likely has a tumor and this is why she starts developing wounds that don't heal like my cat

Since your cat had too many surgeries, did you notice any change in behavior like drinking a lot of water? Are her kidneys fine?

Last edited:

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had 3 surgeries in total. Last time she had her lump removed last year in January. However, she developed another lump in another mammary gland after a week of surgery since the vet didn't remove the entire mammary chain. I think her lesions appeared because of the lumps that started growing. I was applying pyodine and cicatrin powder. It's been a long time since the lesions last appeared but I'm not really sure because she has a lot of fur down there it's hard to see. I only made her wear a cone after applying the pyodine and cicatrin powder. I would let her lick her wounds because it was very painful to see her like that with a cone. My cat too, wore cone for a very long time as she had 3 surgeries. Your cat most likely still has the tumor like my cat which is why she starts developing wounds that don't heal

Since your cat had too many surgeries, did you notice any change in behavior like drinking a lot of water? Are her kidneys fine?