Questions about Mammary Hyperplasia

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are the initial symptoms of mammary gland tumor? Do cats drink a lot of water (more than usual)? And sleep a lot? Anything? Can you name some symptoms?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Extreme thirst is usually a sign of diabetes in cats. That can easily be diagnosed with a blood test by the veterinarian.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am guessing you have actual physical signs that this could be a mammary gland issue, yes? If you have more information or pics to share that might help.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
One of the most common signs is a mass on the abdomen, in which case you need to consult the vet as soon as possible. Same for excessive thirst and lethargy which could both point to diabetes, as was mentioned. Diabetes is manageable; I have done it twice. A mammary tumor need to be seen by the vet, so either way it sounds as if you should take your cat in. If any symptoms are extreme, make that clear to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She got spayed in late September. Got a little bit of infection because one of the stitches was pulled out. She recovered in a week totally healed. On November 4th, i witnessed pus coming out from the same location. Took her to the vet and he started an antibiotic treatment along with drainage of pus through pressure. It almost healed but the pus started coming out again. Vet said he's afraid there might be a foreign particle inside and that they'd have to open it up. On November 19th, they opened it up and said there were litter particles inside which got into a few of her muscles so we had to clean it all up and remove the infected muscles too. They used the term "fibrosis". They kept her for exactly 3 weeks with a cone on but didn't see her late night and told me that she had pulled out her stitches so we stitched it again the next morning. They told me that she pulled out the stitches AGAIN the next day and we stitched again. Now the third time she pulled out the stitches AGAIN, but they said this time they wouldn't stitch it they'd go with open healing. The site was already too big for open healing because they had made a big incision. They said she managed to pulled out the stitches with the cone on. Anyway, at that time they said it would be very time taking and there was fluid coming out of the wound and they'd clean it thrice a day they said it was normal because it was healing and muscles were growing and attaching. After 3 weeks we brought her home and saw hard lumps under the skin. Vet asked us ti bring her everyday for cleaning and draining fluid through pressure. 3rd day there was no fluid coming which indicates healing. 4th day the fluid started coming out from left side of the wound not from where there was a hole because of the incision. The fluid was mixed with blood an exudate i suppose. When he gave pressure the fluid also started coming from bottom right part from between the skin (there was no passage for the fluid to come out of that skin but it still punctured a bit of skin with a very tiny whole). The vet told me after the surgery he felt two other lumps exactly in the left and right sides closer to the back legs probably in the mammary gland they were movable and hard. They are still there along with those hard lumps i mentioned above that developed after the surgery site started healing. The vet said it's not right for fluid to leak from sides again once it stopped coming out while the skin was healing. Is it possible that she pulled out fresh stitches thrice and it affected the internal stitches too which caused the lump? Or that hard lumps are normal after such a surgery where a few muscles were removed? Do surgeries cause mammary cancers? Because my cat was spayed in December and she was 8 months old around that time. I am really worried I don't want to lose her she is my life.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. Poor little girl - and you! So, has all the leaking now stopped? Have you considered getting a second opinion?

It is possible it is scar tissue (fibrosis) from all the tissue damage related to the stitches being pulled out so many times, not to mention the surgery. I would think an x-ray, or an ultrasound, might be able to decipher if it is scar tissue - if not those, an MRI should. You might want to ask the vet about that aspect as well. I, personally, have never heard of this type of surgery 'causing' malignant tumors - but yes it could very well be benign tumors (such as scar tissue), caused by all the trauma to the tissue. I truly believe this is a distinct possibility.

I wish I had something more to offer but I don't really.

Last edited:

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did get a second opinion and i was asked to apply honey twice a day for 10 days. The wound has stopped leaking only because of the honey because i was told the honey would dry the fluid. But the lumps are still there under the skin and the two on the opposite sides gets me even more worried 😭 how long does it take for scar tissues to resolve? Do they really cause hard lumps under the skin?
Also, I've noticed her sleeping all the time and drinking a lot of water since she came back from the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
how long does it take for scar tissues to resolve? Do they really cause hard lumps under the skin?
Scar tissue does not really ever go away, and because it is an overgrowth of cells that happens with tissue trauma it is usually hard, not soft. If I understood correctly, the vet actually removed some muscle tissue - that likely - as you wonder - is the cause of the lumps.

So, it sounds like you have the opinion of two different vets (hopefully not from the same practice, in order to help avoid colleague bias) who do not think this is mammary cancer. While that doesn't mean they both couldn't be wrong, it is a good sign that neither think that is the issue.

Keep the vets informed about her sleeping & drinking a lot, just so they know what is going on with her. But I still don't think drinking a lot of water is a common symptom of mammary cancer. As was mentioned before, it more common with diseases like diabetes or kidney issues. It could also be from dehydration. And, since she has been through so much, more sleeping is probably due to the healing process. Sleeping/resting is typically an intricate part of healing. Hopefully, she is eating fine!

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The lumps in both sides of the groin are hard and movable but the nipples are not swollen. That's what I'm the most worried about. Could it also be an infection?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I assume that one of the vets would have mentioned an infection if there were one, but since you have had recent medical treatment for her, I would call and bring up your concern. Scar tissue can definitely be prominent after major surgeries.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is fibrosarcoma/cancer caused in cats other than through injections and vaccines? Are they caused by foreign bodies such as cat litter particles that got inside cat's skin/muscles that were already healing from a prior surgery?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
according to thesprucepets.com, it can be caused by foreign objects under the skin or in a wound that causes inflammation. This could even include a microchip, however, those instances are extremely rare from what I've been able to ascertain.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is fibrosarcoma/cancer caused in cats other than through injections and vaccines? Are they caused by foreign bodies such as cat litter particles that got inside cat's skin/muscles that were already healing from a prior surgery?
Hello A Aafia Ijaz and cat(s)! Researching your posts, I can see that you have quite a concern with your female cat and though I do not have knowledge of this matter, I hope that by posting I will alert others who may have more information to post as well. Hoping your cats' vet can shed light on this, as they are the ones who should be best informed and most able to help you and them.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any chance that a 9 month old spayed kitten can live a full life after removal of mammary tumor without chemotherapy?

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was it biopsied? Is she altered? Unaltered cats are at higher risk of mammary cancer, but there is also a condition that will cause the mammary gland to swell called mammary hyperplasia. I have had it happen with several of my cats (even a neutered male!). However since your cats gland is oozing, I doubt that it is hyperplasia. I only bring it up so others reading this will know since even my vet was uninformed about it. I am sorry that I can't be more help. Best of luck getting treatment.
But cats with mammary hyperplasia also have swellings that ulcerate and bleed this is why sometimes mammary hyperplasia and tumors ar hard to distinguish even on a biopsy. Can you tell me if any of your cats with mammary hyperplasia had lumps that were ulcerating and bleeding?

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet didnt say anything else about it apart from the biopsy, but still, she said it wouldnt matter cause pretty much theres nothing else that can be done besides surgery, any other treatment would be too stressful for her. Tbh i feel like she gave up on her. Im gonna take her to a new vet this next monday.
What was the oozing like? What color was the liquid? Was it bleeding and ulcerating?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think anything can happen with cancer. What does his oncologist say? I know with other types of cancer, it's common practice to follow up the tumor removal with some sort of chemo in the case that the cancer has already spread, but I don't have any personal experience with mammary tumors.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Was the tumor staged? Do you know if there is/was lymph node metastasis? Do you have an oncologist?

Those are probably the three most important points to address right now. Most young spayed cats do not develop mammary tumors. It is a condition of unspayed cats or those spayed later in their life and I am sorry that you are facing this with a kitten.

Feline Mammary Tumors | Veterinary Medical Center

This article from OSU discusses staging, the kind of surgery that is most effective, and chemo.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was the tumor staged? Do you know if there is/was lymph node metastasis? Do you have an oncologist?

Those are probably the three most important points to address right now. Most young spayed cats do not develop mammary tumors. It is a condition of unspayed cats or those spayed later in their life and I am sorry that you are facing this with a kitten.

Feline Mammary Tumors | Veterinary Medical Center

This article from OSU discusses staging, the kind of surgery that is most effective, and chemo.
Yes she got operated but we didn't get the histopathology because then i would've freaked out. Isn't mammary hyperplasia similar to mammary tumor when it comes to the symptoms? Any experience with mammary hyperplasia?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Mammary Hyperplasia.

If you are sure it is hyperplasia, that is usually benign, but as the article states mammary gland cancer can be hard to differentiate without a biopsy. Too late to get histopathology report?