Question Of The Day, Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@kat0121, I don't doubt your appraisal, but I'll just have to continue making do with my substitute. I'm diabetic, so the sugar and milk in real eggnog are dangerous for me, in addition to which I have a casein (milk protein) "sensitivity," whatever that means. (When I tried to look it up, every site I could find with an article on the subject said something along the lines of "a sensitivity is not the same as an allergy" and then proceeded to talk about it as if it is the same thing as an allergy.) Unsweetened cashew milk is extremely rich and creamy and it doesn't raise my blood sugar at all, and contains no casein. And the vanilla and stevia also don't raise my blood sugar. :dunno: I go with what works.

Yes, mine does contain some alcohol, from the vanilla extract, but not enough to get even a minor buzz from.

Margret

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hot coffee!!! I love when I have time to take the coffee, sit down and close my eyes with the first few sips!!

I also love hot apple cider, but I have to watch the sugar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(When I tried to look it up, every site I could find with an article on the subject said something along the lines of "a sensitivity is not the same as an allergy" and then proceeded to talk about it as if it is the same thing as an allergy.)
The main difference is that with an allergy, the immune system gets involved, hence the hives and swelling in the throat. With a sensitivity, most of the side-effects are in the digestive tract, ie nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Some sensitivities can be so strong as to be life-threatening (due, I think to knocking your electrolytes out of whack).

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main difference is that with an allergy, the immune system gets involved, hence the hives and swelling in the throat. With a sensitivity, most of the side-effects are in the digestive tract, ie nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Some sensitivities can be so strong as to be life-threatening (due, I think to knocking your electrolytes out of whack).
I've never had any of those reactions to cheese. I did have lactose intolerance for a time, but that went away, and there's no lactose in cheese anyway.

The doctor who diagnosed the sensitivity said that she was concerned that it might have caused my immune system to attack my liver, and could, in fact, be the cause of my diabetes. And she, too, emphasized that a sensitivity isn't the same as an allergy, without specifying what she meant. :sigh: :dunno:

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ANNNNNNNND...I'm lost after that. I didn't know that sensitivites could trigger the immune system, although constant irritation sounds reasonable.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The coffee is more of a necessity for me than a preference. I really can't function without it. I drink loads of teas too though. Peppermint, Hot Ginger, Indian Chai and Red Berries & Vanilla are some of my favourites at the moment. I sometimes have just a cup of hot water with lemon in it too.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have Southern Comfort eggnog around here. I think it's just Turkey Hill. Rick will buy it and he drinks it from the carton, too. I don't drink it at all.

Here's Rick's Mom's recipe for eggnog; I'm thinking she probably got it from Betty Crocker. It's pretty basic. Now, when I make it for Rick, I make sure I buy pasteurized eggs at the store. Rick and our son can devour it in minutes. Oh, and I only use whole milk, not nonfat. And I only use my homemade bourbon vanilla. I should probably find a better recipe, but they like this.

EVELYN'S EGGNOG

4 cups milk
8 Tbsp. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
Nutmeg

In large bowl, beat eggs until light and foamy. Add sugar and beat until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in milk. Chill 3-4 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ooooooohhhhhhhhh...EGG NOG recipe! YAY!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The answer is of course coffee. I want coffee, coffee flavored water. I like French Roast and Columbian. I drink my coffee with just enough evaporated milk to turn the coffee. No sugar, no milk and not flavored coffee creamers. I don like some flavored coffees. Two that I detest are pumpkin and hazelnut. No thank you.