Question Of The Day, Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And now I'm a twitch early, but I didn't want to shut down then reboot in an hour.

It's finally cooling down here (although it will be almost 80 again this weekend), and I'm thinking about seasonal favorites. What is your very favorite hot beverage?

Me, I'm a caffiend. I do not function without my coffee. Don't talk to me before the first cup, neither of us will know what was discussed.

But you know what else I like? I like hot Dr. Pepper with a twist of lemon. I know, I know, it sounds HORRIBLE, but it tastes like an herbal tea of some sort. It's quite good.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Hot Dr. Pepper with lemon used to be a popular party drink. I never had it, but a lot of people liked it.

Cold Dr. Pepper goes well with rum, too. It brings out the fruity taste.

If I have a hot drink, it has to be strong hot chocolate with nothing on top but perhaps a little sprinkle of cinnamon. Second is classic chai tea, sometimes with a little milk or cream.

My father drank his hot tea with cream and sugar. I haven't had it like that since I was a kid. I doubt I'd like it now.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in addition to coffee (which I like hot or cold, depending on the weather) I drink a lot of green tea brewed with Throat Coat tea. The green tea helps to fight the tendency of all that coffee to cause loose stools, and the Throat Coat tea makes the green tea actually taste good and reduces its tendency to upset my stomach.

And this time of year I like to mix stevia and vanilla extract in with some unsweetened cashew milk. It tastes a heck of a lot like eggnog, which I dearly love.

Margret

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Coffee.....hot and black only, please.
Tea....Earl Grey, hot
Hot chocolate, but only home made

Margret Margret , Rick dearly loves eggnog, too. At this time of year, he's always looking in the milk case for eggnog and I swear he does a little jig when he finds it. I've made it for him, too.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
-Cappuccino and Lattes
-Tea (Green Tea, Cardamon French Toast, Peppermint, Pumpkin Chai, Coconut Cream Pie, Raspberry Cream Pie, Ginger etc)
-Coffee
-Hot Apple Cider
-Hot Chocolate, with something added to it, like spiced chocolate, Kahlua, pumpkin spice, candy cane, cinnamon etc
-London Fog
-Hot Buttered Rum

Yeah, pretty much almost all hot beverages :lol:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret , Rick dearly loves eggnog, too. At this time of year, he's always looking in the milk case for eggnog and I swear he does a little jig when he finds it. I've made it for him, too.
Roger asked me the other day to keep my eyes open for "vegetarian eggnog" when I'm grocery shopping. I told him I'd be happy to share mine with him -- he'd forgotten how much my cashew milk version tastes like the real thing. (No, he's not a vegetarian. I think he was worried about the raw eggs, which my version doesn't contain because I just don't bother with them.)

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At night I'll sometimes have a hot chocolate because there's less caffeine.
Unless you add caffeine to it, hot chocolate shouldn't contain any caffeine at all. Chocolate doesn't have caffeine in it; when people talk about caffeine in chocolate they're really referring to theobromine. Quoting from that article:
3,7-Dimethylxanthine. The principle alkaloid in Theobroma cacao (the cacao bean) and other plants. A xanthine alkaloid that is used as a bronchodilator and as a vasodilator. Theobromine has a weaker diuretic activity than THEOPHYLLINE and is also a less powerful stimulant of smooth muscle. It has practically no stimulant effect on the central nervous system. It was formerly used as a diuretic and in the treatment of angina pectoris and hypertension. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, pp1318-9)
Note: Emphasis mine.

Margret

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Roger asked me the other day to keep my eyes open for "vegetarian eggnog" when I'm grocery shopping. I told him I'd be happy to share mine with him -- he'd forgotten how much my cashew milk version tastes like the real thing. (No, he's not a vegetarian. I think he was worried about the raw eggs, which my version doesn't contain because I just don't bother with them.)

Margret
IMO the best commercial eggnog is this one:

No - it does not contain alcohol although they, of course, recommend you add some! I like it plain. I'm the only one who likes it so I take a sip here and there directly from the carton. :cloud9: