Question Of The Day, Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother taught us; I had always assumed that it may have come out of the Depression, that they had to make their own treats and someone came up with this as a way to "dispose" of leftover potatoes. Not that they had refrigerators, must have been an ice box.

:headscratch: I wonder what a Google search would reveal; never tried it on this subject...

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: It seems to be very old, likely of German origin. Old Fashioned Mashed Potato Candy Recipe

My mother came from Pennsylvania Dutch stock, so it was probably an old family recipe, but the website I found also says that it had a sudden surge of popularity during the Depression, so I wasn't all that far off. Also, it appears that most recipes add other ingredients; I found the following items mentioned:
  • Vanilla (don't know why I didn't think of that one myself)
  • Peanut butter
  • Chocolate
  • Maraschino cherries
  • Nuts
  • Food coloring
  • Coconut
  • Salt
I also found a reference to mashed potato fudge that I intend to follow up on.

Margret

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a girl we used to make mashed potato candy. You take about a tablespoon of mashed potatoes and start adding powdered sugar to it. The sugar pulls the moisture out of the mashed potatoes and the mixture turns very liquid for a time, but as you keep adding powdered sugar it eventually becomes dough-like. At that point you roll it into a log shape, wrap it in waxed paper, and refrigerate it. Cut off small slices to eat as desired.

It takes about 1 box of powdered sugar per tablespoon of mashed potatoes, and is, of course, very bad for you.

Margret
My mother made that all the time. It was delicious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Toasted apple and cheese sandwiches. You can't believe how good they are until you've tried one.

:thumbsup:
Must try that. Dad got me started on the apple pie and cheese thing, and I love it.

i'll try most things at least once. i tried ham with pineapple pizza not long ago, and i really liked that! :yummy:
Try bacon and pineapple. It's to die for.

I also found a reference to mashed potato fudge that I intend to follow up on.
OH GOD! There go my insulin levels!

Another odd favorite of mine, maple-glazed bacon crumbled on a good vanilla bean ice cream.

maybe i should shut up about the hot dogs and peanut butter, huh???