Question of the Day, Wednesday, July 5, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :coolcat: Carleton has an upcoming vet appointment and although our vet is not hours away it takes about 30 minutes in good traffic or 40 minutes if road conditions are bad. A friend who is a longtime cat lover recently switched to a new vet that is only 5-10 minutes away so I was debating whether to change.

HOW FAR DO YOU TRAVEL TO GO TO YOUR VET?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe 10 minutes. And she's a wonderful cat-only vet. I'm blessed. Kitties still don't like it, though.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
sigh.... depends on traffic... if I go to regular Vet, about 20 minutes. When we go to the Internist and the traffic is good, 30-40 minutes. I try to avoid peak traffic times..

Geoffrey is really good at traveling in the car--- not a peep.. of course, he is frightened into a panic.. so he gets fully withdrawn.

Now that one major road into Boston is closed for the summer, it will probably take about 2 hours to get to the IMVet... hoping we can avoid a trip in, for the next couple months...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe 10 minutes. And she's a wonderful cat-only vet. I'm blessed.
Our first feline only vet was in the city and that was many years ago. She was the original founder of the American Association of Feline Practitioners. When we moved to the suburbs and it was more difficult driving four cats into the city she recommended a wonderful vet who although not feline only leaned more toward cats than dogs.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
30 to 40 minutes depending on traffic. I went through a lot of vet hopping with my IBD kitty Patches before finding the vet that I go to now. He was going into fatty liver disease when I took him there the first time and he got almost 8 good years after that so I continued going there. I have thought about switching to a closer vet but the cat that I have now has FIV. I got her from a rescue a year and a half ago and she has been healthy since I got her. I know that can change even though she is still young so I continue making the longer drive. They have evening hours so I can avoid rush hour traffic so it is usually 30 minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have thought about switching to a closer vet but the cat that I have now has FIV.
That's my dilemma too, Carleton is a senior and has had some health problems ever since we adopted him. I really like our present vet and feel, "if it's not broke don't fix it." For the time being it's worth the longer drive to know he's in good hands.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Five minutes to the cat vet
Twenty minutes to the vet who was my dog's primary care physician
One hour to the referral clinic that we used, but out here that factors in freeway traffic, if you have to take side streets instead, etc.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anywhere between 20 to 45 minutes depending on traffic. It's a lot better getting into town now though, since they built bypasses and other means of getting across the city...traffic is a lot lighter on the main drags. I could go to the vet closer to home but she is terrible and price gouges since she's the only vet in my town...I live in an outskirt town from the city.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet I've seen for the last 8 years is located less than 5 minutes from the house I grew up in (which is where I was living 8 years ago). Even though I moved twice since then, I still go to that vet. Now I travel 20ish minutes to get there. Not a long distance, but still more than I would normally go for other appointments, but I love the staff so I don't want to go anywhere else.