Question of the Day, Wednesday, February 8, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good afternoon and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :cutecat: As Mr. Rogers would say on his tv show, "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood." Which leads me to my question today. For the most part we are lucky to have friendly and thoughtful neighbors. Most of them are awesome. :thumbsup: We can borrow an item if something of ours isn't working right, ask for help with a chore/repair, get a recommendation on anything from a doctor referral to a restaurant opinion. In the summer when the temps are warmer we talk outdoors in front of one of our houses. Almost everyone is an animal lover too! :greenpaw::bluepaw: I would feel comfortable going to any one of them in an emergency. However, the neighbors across from us are not friendly or considerate. They don't speak to anyone and overstep their boundaries. Another neighbor two houses down and behind us are also unfriendly and not polite. When they have large parties in their yard during the summer they play loud music late into the night. Once or twice another neighbor has called the police. Whether you live in a house, apartment, trailer, etc. how do you feel about your neighbors?

DO YOU LIKE OR DISLIKE YOUR NEIGHBORS?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are quite far away…and we all care about our small town and the biodiversity in between us, so in that sense, we all get along. I think the trick is not to go too deep into politics or religion, and try to find the places where we can work together. Such a good question, b/c from a larger perspective, getting along w/ your neighbors is becoming more and more urgent. 🌏

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My across the street neighbors are friendly and nice people. My directly east neighbors have lived there a couple years, stick very much to themselves and have enormous gatherings once or twice a week spring, fall and summer. Not wild or particularly loud but with so many people there you can hear them even when indoors. My west direction neighbor is a pretty much a jerk most of the time.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As people in general, I have good neighbors. Most are nice and will wave. I've on occasion had a few help with my driveway after a big snow storm (they have trucks with plows). Our one neighbor across the street has invited us over a few times and has been helpful with a few random things over the years...like borrowing a tool or something...
However, our one next door neighbor loves to play their music way too loud...to the point where I can't enjoy my back yard...I'm fine with hearing music playing but at the levels he keeps it at sometimes the whole neighborhood can probably hear it. And it's worse if he uses his "big stereo" from the garage because the base is just too intense. If my house is vibrating....your music is too loud!!!! I often have to keep my windows closed due to the volume, but even at that, with that dang base all I can hear is the "thud thud thud" throughout my home. They are nice people...but OMG! just turn your music down to an acceptable level!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I absolutely love our neighbors. Always happy to help with anything at a moments notice but are completely non nosy, and drama free. The neighbors across the field have kids (now young adults) who are some of the nicest and most down to earth kids I've ever met.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neighbor across the street is my middle son (he bought at age 20--he'll be 25 this year, which seems impossible).

On one side, I don't really know him well, but he seems to be a decent sort. He's also the one who puts out a constant supply of dry cat food and for feline entertainment corn for the birds and squirrels (the cats can't catch any healthy bird or squirrel ... but they have been known to try).

Other side, I'm a little concerned. It had been the mother of my hairdresser, but she passed away and now the house is for sale. *fingers crossed*

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our houses are just far enough apart here that I’ve only ever met the people on either side of me. DH has met more. I don’t have any problems here. The people across the street are a little strange but not creepy or anything.

Our old neighborhood had some great people but also some people with addictions and things. Still they looked out for me when DH would be away for months at a time. One man’s grandson cut my yard for me. I really appreciate the quiet of where we are; but people there were good too.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are only 4 other close houses where I live and whilst I dont see any of them often I feel I could knock on their doors and ask for help if needed. When we do cross paths they are really friendly, I like them all.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I like the older man that lives 2 houses down. He would be about 84 now, if he's still alive. He used to stop me to chat on my walks, but I haven't been taking my walks the past couple years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've on occasion had a few help with my driveway after a big snow storm (they have trucks with plows).
Thanks, I forgot about shoveling especially since we live in a location that can get a lot of snow in winter. We don't have a snowblower but some of our neighbors do and they always offer to help especially we got a heavy wet snow.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the ones I've talked to. I haven't really talked to many of them because I moved in March 2020, so I never really got the chance to meet anyone because of Covid.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part, we like our neighbors...... with the exception of the people 3 doors down who have been busted twice for running a meth lab. Them, we can do without. Some of them we know better than others, but then Michele and me are not the most outgoing of people, preferring to keep to ourselves.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
As people in general, I have good neighbors. Most are nice and will wave. I've on occasion had a few help with my driveway after a big snow storm (they have trucks with plows). Our one neighbor across the street has invited us over a few times and has been helpful with a few random things over the years...like borrowing a tool or something...
However, our one next door neighbor loves to play their music way too loud...to the point where I can't enjoy my back yard...I'm fine with hearing music playing but at the levels he keeps it at sometimes the whole neighborhood can probably hear it. And it's worse if he uses his "big stereo" from the garage because the base is just too intense. If my house is vibrating....your music is too loud!!!! I often have to keep my windows closed due to the volume, but even at that, with that dang base all I can hear is the "thud thud thud" throughout my home. They are nice people...but OMG! just turn your music down to an acceptable level!
Anonymously mail him ear buds! Seriously, if it’s hard on you, must be really hard on cats! Sometimes polite persistence can get you somewhere.

Arya Underfoot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our neighbours are really nice and friendly. Our other neighbour is a complete bitch. When we first moved in she ignored my hello's. We've had a few unpleasant encounters, the worst was when she was blaming us for water pooling in her driveway, suggesting it was coming from our pool. We live on top of a hill with a slope to the side of our property, her property is further down the hill and her driveway has a deep V slope. We tried to tell her that natural water run off is not our responsibility (it wasn't coming from the pool, we just had a lot of rain). She went nuts at us and said she would investigate, she never got back to us. My husband managed to talk to a landscaper that was checking out the damage and he confirmed for us that all the water issues she was having was coming from her own driveway, which she hasn't maintained at all, no proper retaining walls, no drainage. She had actually expected us to pay for it too, I was so stressed out until the landscaper put our minds at ease.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are very lucky to have the neighbors that we do.I often mention the couple that brings us goodies,and we share with them as well.I have known her since she was a little girl,their boys are now grown and they're just the best!We just lost the fella on the other side of us as he passed away suddenly.We had no clue and are so glad his daughters came to tell us.Our doctor lives down the road a little bit,which is great,and there is a couple in his little cul de sac that are honey customers,and they buy berries and jam...we are blessed to live where we do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We are very lucky to have the neighbors that we do..Our doctor lives down the road a little bit,which is great,and there is a couple in his little cul de sac that are honey customers,and they buy berries and jam...we are blessed to live where we do.
Can I live on your block? 😉 It sounds like a wonderful neighborhood especially with your doctor so close by.