QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 11, 2021

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like watching lightning and the plants need rain so I can't really say much there. Snow, though.....that cloud crap (and winter in general) can spontaneously combust. No redeeming qualities whatsoever, it's nothing but a pain in the ass.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Storms don’t bother me. Our son and I used to get up in the middle of the night to watch the lightning. If a storm was north of us, we’d go out on the deck. I still do sometimes. Since I retired, I don’t look at snow storms the same way. “I don’t have to drive in it. We’re at home. Let it snow.”

ETA: We had a summer storm a few years ago that was quite ugly. Rick was in Oregon. I just got home from work. Son called and stayed on the phone while I started walking around outside, watching the sky. I did not like that sky at all. Put the kids in carriers in the basement. Son was going to drive home, but I told him we were fine. That time? I was worried.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am not a fan of thunder and lightning at all. When I was a kid I was home alone one afternoon while both of my parents were at work. I already wasn't a huge fan of storms then, but we had a really bad thunder and lightning storm move through. The lightning hit the transformer on a pole that was just a few houses away and it caught on fire. Power went out, I freaked out and ran across the street to the neighbors that I didn't even like. They were the only ones home. In my haste I locked myself out of the house. I was stuck there until one of my parents got home.

As a homeowner, all harsher storms bring about a level of concern. I have a lot of trees around my house and I do worry during wind storms, hurricanes, etc. that one will come down and hit the house. I always worry about the basement flooding during extremely heavy rains.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy what I call an old fashioned thunderstorm...the ones I remember as a kid.A little lightening,the rumble of thunder,maybe some wind and then the sound of the rain hitting the roof.Nowadays,and where I live now....many is the time you're darn lucky to have a roof!Not fond of them at all.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE THUNDERSTORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did I get my point across? :lol:

There's a storm rolling in as I type so I'm pretty giddy right now. :bliss: Looking at the radar map, the bulk of it should hit my area around 7 pm. They are predicting possible 100km winds and hail up to golf ball size and some areas (not near me) may even see tornados....so not great...but I still love storms.
When a storm hits I actually feel great. The energy, the air pressure, the smell...It just makes my body and mind happy. Lightning is absolutely beautiful and I love the sound of thunder....
When we were young, one of the many things my Mom did to ensure we didn't develop any fears was, during a storm, she'd stick us outside on the porch (covered) with a blanket and a snack to watch the storm. To this day, I will sit and watch a storm.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was awakened at 03:05 AM this morning.
I heard loud rumbling that lasted for a full minute.
I remarked that the Navy must be trying to sink San Clemente Island. It is 50 miles offshore and a practice range.
I saw two flashes from that area and the rumbling continued. I decided there had to be 10 destroyers to make that much firepower.
I sat up in bed. The sky lit up from about Long Beach to almost San Diego, with cloud to cloud lightning at about 20 miles offshore.
The light show and rumbling continued until 03:35 AM.
As the storm rolled onshore, the lightning seemed to stop about a mile offshore.
We never got a drop of rain from the storm, which we really need.
Not heavy clouds, yet a lot of cloud to cloud lightning activity.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was young my grandmother took me out to the shore to let me see the power of an incoming hurricane. It was still far out but had the sea and wind churning. She wanted me to see the power of Mother Nature, to respect it but not to fear it. I’ll never forget us standing there alone by the lashing waves that crashed against the shore and showered the air with mist. The wind curled the tops of the waves over and further onto the land. It was amazing. Together we hunkered down in her house until the hurricane had passed. While the power was out we used kerosene lanterns and she told me stories of those who had come before and how generations of family had faced storms. I was not afraid. Later in life I lived inland where lightning storms were unreal! Lightning struck my room just as I was leaving it and caught the house on fire. That was scary. The house was saved and all lives preserved. I was reminded of the lesson from my Grandmother. Nature is powerful and should be respected. So, I do take precautions during storms. I prepare but then I sit back and admire the power and strength of nature. A tornado gave me a fright once. I was unable to leave the property until trees were cleared. I have been stuck inside after an ice storm that cut power too. All that said, I do enjoy a storm. I do not enjoy fire , flood or crashing trees. Wind , snow and rain can be lovely. Nature is amazing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. I don't mind rain. I get energized to do things inside when it's rainy.

I dislike severe weather. I never used to mind lightning; but so many storms are severe now it's just not enjoyable. I dislike snow because it makes driving difficult to dangerous. When DD was a newborn we had back to back blizzards and lost power during the first one. It was getting into the 50s inside our house when we were evacuated for her sake. I was exclusively pumping and didn't have a manual or battery powered pump either. So that was all really stressful. We invested in a wood stove a few years later.