QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 11, 2021

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've been having major thunderstorms the past two days. Yesterday I came home to find branches and limbs from the neighbor's tree in our yard. Tonight we had loud claps of thunder, lightning and gusty winds. Since we lost power once and are supposed to get more storms tomorrow I decided to post Wednesday's Question of the Day a bit early just in case we lose power again.
IMG_1225.jpeg

My husband loves to sit and watch storms especially if there's lightning but I prefer to be as far away from the windows as possible. Fortunately Carleton is not the least bit concerned if there's a storm brewing. In fact, he sat on my lap tonight perfectly content to snooze. :sleepycat:

SO FOR WEDNESDAY'S QUESTION OF THE DAY - DO YOU LIKE STORMY WEATHER?

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a branch came down in our yard from the latest storm earlier. Not sure if it was from our yard or a neighbor's.

I don't love storms, but I know they have their plave and don't hate them, either. I like sleeping while it's raining, but the thunder and lightning can be distracting, and it scares Sparkle.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love it have done since I was little. My dad used to sit at the door watching the lightning with us as kid's. I did it with all mine counting in between the lightning and thunder, looking for the big flash of lightning. I know a few people that are really on edge with them, my sister in law is terrified. So maybe dad did me a favour watching from the safety of the house.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I do really like watching them, but I have to admit they can be a bit inconvenient. We get power cuts from thunder storms or trees coming down and there is always loads of clearing up to do the day after a storm goes through.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a part of Japan that gets monsoons, typhoons and blizzards. Just lucky I guess...... :rolleyes2:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can take it or leave it. I've been through 2 hurricanes on land- in one of them, Hurricane Hazel, a tornado demolished one of our outbuildings but missed house and barns- and 3 while at sea. I've had close encounters with lightning, of the kind that go snapflashBOOM, and just recently we got over 4 inches of rain in about 2 hours, and our back yard was transformed into a wading pool. Then there are the snowstorms endemic to western NY. We no longer worry about losing power because we have our standby generator. We may lose the internet, but that's what books are for.
Edit: this dates back 10 years, when I came home from work to find that we had 2 new trees in our back yard.
100_0029.JPG

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I woke up this morning the first thing I did was check the backyard - part of our neighbor's fence came down from last night's storm. While watching the news I heard 99,000 customers lost power overnight. I saw a car split in half by a tree and unfortunately there's another strong storm predicted for tonight. :eek:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love snowstorms.
As for thunder storms it depends. In 2018 we had a severe storm with straight line winds and it blew down 3 big pine trees that totaled my car, damaged my husbands truck and trailer and my roof had to be replaced due to major holes and water damage.
I do like the soft rolling thunder but I hate the wind and lightning when it’s close by.