Question of the Day - Tuesday, November 7

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy first Tuesday of November!

icegif-27.gif

What are the most ridiculous beauty standards, for either gender, that just frustrate you?

- The perfect little button nose. The thing that really affect me the most throughout most of my life, to the point where I was younger and desperately wanted a nose job.
- Big boobs, tiny waist, big bum
- Absolutely flawless glass skin all the time, no pimples, pores, lines, texture etc
- Hip dips. Like what the deuce monkey? Since when were hip dips a problem? :lol: It's crazy!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are so many. I would say for me it would be the flawless skin, haven't had it since before puberty. Many of us simply do not have the genetic make up for it, absolutely nothing we can do about it. People who are blessed with the genetics for perfect skin don't have to do much at all to maintain it, the rest of us try and try and still don't have it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m not even sure what a hip dip is. :lol:

How about dyed hair? I need a cut (it’s been 8 months…) and can’t figure out when that’s going to fit in my schedule let alone the time commitment to dying hair regularly! I know some people do look much younger with dyed hair; and I’ve almost got enough “sparkles” to understand, but gosh id rather pay for pedicures than that much hair maintenance and time.

Makeup wearing in general is too much these days too. I am wearing a little again and its nice. Googling how to do eyeliner and eyeshadow these days is just plain sad!:lol: And false eyelashes?! Not happening. These full face routines look way too complex. Not to mention my oily skin would feel awful under all that. All the contouring and blending would probably melt off. 🤪

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pretty much all of it. Women have to be tall, thin, beautiful features, perfect hair, perfect skin, etc., and men have to be tall, broad, muscular, tan, and chiseled. Nothing is said about personality or what's in their heart. When I was a kid it was magazines and TV, now, it's everywhere and all these filters people use on social media might make them look nice, but IMO many of them look so over-done it's obvious they are 100% fake.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To show how ridiculous varying beauty standards can be,
With the same chest, an American woman will want an enlargement, and a French woman a reduction.
And at some past era, large hips were highly desirable, believed to help with childbirth.

What annoys me are false interventions, such as false eyelashes and nails, dyed hair, implants and excessive makeup or jewelry.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very tall. I don't think it's anything to be envious of! I hate it. Almost 5'10.

Probably the perfect skin thing you guys mentioned. My face is an oil pit! I have tried everything to stop it. I would try drinking more water, but I already drink 64oz per day!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The one thing about getting older is that you become more content or satisfied with your looks, i.e. not trying to fit in or have a model's body. However, I think Botox and fillers are awful. There is more and more research being done about the long term side effects and they're definitely not pretty or healthy. So glad I never fell into that trap. :nono:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate thin shaming, which isn't exactly a beauty standard but some kind of backlash.

I don't like the pearly white teeth standard, I guess. My mom's teeth were the second to the whitest on the chart at the dentist's. Perfect by nature: just brush and go. I guess I inherited my teeth from my dad's side of the family. And yes, I want perfect teeth.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaving legs. I don't do it anymore but I'm still self-conscious about wearing shorts.
Tanning. Never something I've done, but because it will very likely cause skin cancer it's something I am very against and do not support people doing or feeling the need to do.
Thin automatically means healthy when it doesn't. I'm not saying being obese is healthy either, but you can't judge someone's health by how they look.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Botox and fillers are awful
I hate this especially Botox. Botox is something that can be dangerous. I know there are legitimate medical uses for it like it has been shown to reduce migraine days for people who struggle with them. Using it for something like that makes sense because of the benefit. I can't see using it to paralyze where you have wrinkles so they aren't obvious. Think about that, inducing paralysis so the wrinkles aren't as obvious, that makes no sense to me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate this especially Botox. Botox is something that can be dangerous. I know there are legitimate medical uses for it like it has been shown to reduce migraine days for people who struggle with them. Using it for something like that makes sense because of the benefit. I can't see using it to paralyze where you have wrinkles so they aren't obvious. Think about that, inducing paralysis so the wrinkles aren't as obvious, that makes no sense to me.
One of the dentists at the offices I go to is certified in it. I don’t get it either. I mean its a well-regarded dental office. But it just seems weird to mix the services to me.

I might be working towards understanding why some people do things like this better as I start seeing signs of aging in myself. But the botox type stuff does seem riskier.