Question Of The Day - Tuesday, May 1

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone!

Happy May Day!!!!

Now let's get down to business!

So you were sent back in time (Let's say 600-700 years ago) and you are going to live in that past for the rest of your life.

What modern feature, object, amenities etc would you miss the most?

Painkillers!

While it would be a bummer to live without things plumbing, internet, easy access to books and food etc I feel I could adapt and hopefully survive without them Ok. Whereas living without something that could easily take care of everyday pain and discomfort would be hard! Imagine having a bad headache, or lady cramps, or sore joints and muscles, and you don't have anything that could legitimately and quickly take care of it. Or worse/bigger cases where you need something stronger. As my history background says, pain was just a normal everyday aspect of life for people in the past and they knew it and accepted it.

I'm sure there are more superior options but losing something like Advil came to my mind first for me :eek:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd go for modern medications as a general statement. Only because I have three prescriptions that I pretty much need plus I like some of the OTC, like pain killers. I actually prefer to not take medications unless I really have to but breathing is a nice thing so my dailies I take.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say medications as well, especially my Motrin.

Electricity would be a close second. Candles don't quite cut it, and night must've been terrifying back then.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Modern housing. Houses back then were small, dark, and smoky. Windows were hardly more than slits in the walls, and chimneys didn't work well.

Speaking of modern medicine, in the 14th Century (600-700 years ago), almost half the population of Europe was wiped out by plague.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Modern housing. Houses back then were small, dark, and smoky. Windows were hardly more than slits in the walls, and chimneys didn't work well.

Speaking of modern medicine, in the 14th Century (600-700 years ago), almost half the population of Europe was wiped out by plague.
That was my first thought too. Probably end up right in the middle of the plague and that would end that.

I'd have to say TP. Using leaves or grass just is not an option.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a well-founded fear that the black death would be the end of the human race.

I also would have to go with modern medicine, though there are a heck of a lot of things I'd miss.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Modern medicine is definitely important, I think half of us would be dead right away without it!

But as far as quality-of-life issues, I think hygiene products are most important. No toilet paper. No lady products. No shampoo or lotion or laundry detergent. Just lye soap that eats your skin off if it stays on too long. Nope! That's just nasty.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm... I'm going with modern medicine as well. It's not perfect; but its easy to forget what life was like for generations before us! My cousin married the grandson of someone my Grandfather grew up with. One of the sons in that family was crippled from polio. Diseases like that aren't THAT removed from us yet.

Otherwise I agree with hygiene products! I'm no "germophobe" but I do like to keep clean!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely need modern medicine!!!!

and modern hygiene standards... YUCK
I have a very sensitive sense of smell...
YUCK

:insertevillaugh:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone!

Happy May Day!!!!

Now let's get down to business!

So you were sent back in time (Let's say 600-700 years ago) and you are going to live in that past for the rest of your life.

What modern feature, object, amenities etc would you miss the most?

Painkillers!

While it would be a bummer to live without things plumbing, internet, easy access to books and food etc I feel I could adapt and hopefully survive without them Ok. Whereas living without something that could easily take care of everyday pain and discomfort would be hard! Imagine having a bad headache, or lady cramps, or sore joints and muscles, and you don't have anything that could legitimately and quickly take care of it. Or worse/bigger cases where you need something stronger. As my history background says, pain was just a normal everyday aspect of life for people in the past and they knew it and accepted it.

I'm sure there are more superior options but losing something like Advil came to my mind first for me :eek:
Middle of the fourteenth century basically? Easy - ciprofloxacin. The Plague Epidemic began in 1347.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toilet paper! I don't even know what they would have used back then, but I would imagine it wouldn't feel too nice. :lol:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Running water. (in homes)

also have to throw in medicine same as everyone else.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Probably food. If I had to kill my own food I would freak out. Although in the 1400's I would probably be burned at the stake as soon as they realized I was left handed. I guess at that point hunger wouldn't be important. lol

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles my father was crippled by polio. He was in an iron lung for a month when he was 8 years old. He has a full S scoliosis of the spine, making one leg much shorter and far weaker than the other, and giving him a hunchback. He can't walk these days. It's always been rather a huge thing for me but I don't speak of it often as he doesn't complain, even though he lives in constant, excruciating, pain. He always refused to take painkillers, worried that what would he do when the pain inevitably became too great due to his spine collapsing. He sometimes takes the odd tramadol these days if he's about to pass out with pain but I'd most likely be a morphine addict if I were in his misshapen shoes. He has great intellect and a keen sense of humour, which is just as well really. He looks a bit like Yoda, funnily enough. He's from a very stoical background of Isle of Wight farmers. An almost unimaginably different world to my own.

We almost eradicated polio worldwide a few years back, reaching roughly 99% of the world inoculated, then some country or another let the side down and it's gained grip again with a vengeance. This lack of human cooperation bothers me somewhat.

Anyhoo, all medicine is groovy with me, modern and 'traditional'. The Chinese were using opium medicinally in the 7th century. Just saying.

I'd miss tea, coffee, and chocolate, which were all classed as illegal drugs until the 18th century or so.

This is a good question cassiopea cassiopea , I'm sorry to have put my foot in it, if I have.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after modern medicine, I think I'd miss air conditioning the most. :)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plumbing. I've been having problems with my toilet lately and I cannot imagine not even having the crappy (haha) one I have. Also not being able to shower. People probably smelled horrible hundreds of years ago too because deodorant wasn't a thing.