Question of the Day - Tuesday, January 10

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My father was a door to door milkman. Before going back to the dairy he would come home and add up all of his sales slips with a manual adding machine along these lines -

s-l500.jpg

I still remember the sound of the keys and the sound of him pulling the lever.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
the chatter and racket my aunts and uncles made at our yearly xmas gatherings my dad has 10 siblings counting him 5 boys 5 girls :lol: so my 5 aunts counting the some of the wives were like a flock of birds with all the noise they made add in a bunch of kids and it was chaos:biggrin:
Something I forgot about - when the Sicilian side of my family gathered for holidays all the adults only spoke Sicilian to each other with a smattering of half English half Sicilian words thrown in. None of us kids learned to speak but if we listened carefully could pick out the thread of the conversation.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes we would walk to where the air raid siren was and be under it when it was tested, which they did every Saturday at noon. It was mounted on top of a small grocery store with a residential area all around it. That thing was loud! It projected sound through a horn that rotated. This was in the 50's.
My small town still sounds the weathers sirens at noon every single day. They are loud enough to hear anywhere in the house or over a TV.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I forgot about - when the Sicilian side of my family gathered for holidays all the adults only spoke Sicilian to each other with a smattering of half English half Sicilian words thrown in. None of us kids learned to speak but if we listened carefully could pick out the thread of the conversation.
thats the sad thing about moving to another country the kids lose part of the culture language/tradtions etc. most my cousins cant even use chopsticks. they understand more than they can speak cantonese

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Snow plows
People shoveling snow

I love Florida winters. Lord knows we don't live here for the summers. :lol: :sweat:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The sound of my Mother 'doing the till' at the end of the day. We had a newsagency and at the end of each day all the coins (and notes of course) would be counted. But the coins made the most sound. Then they were rolled up in brown paper and there was a 'thunk, thunk' as each end was bashed against the desk to secure it all.
The thing is we heard it far more than just at that time, as the budgie was very taken with the procedure and would run through the whole thing several times each day. :rolleyes2: