Question of the Day - Tuesday, January 10

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
cassiopea cassiopea I remember getting all frustrated when it constantly rang busy, but when the dial up connection sound finally played I felt so relieved! :lol:
I could always tell if I was outside if someone else at home was watching TV because we had one of those giant satellite dishes.
1673399324617.png

It had a very faint and distinct noise it made as it moved. I loved watching TV off of it though, you'd plug in the channel you wanted and if the dish had to move all the way across the sky, you'd sometimes catch glimpses of what other channels were playing as it moved. (My favorite channel was S3 03, 05, and 15, because it seemed like saved by the bell was on either one of those channels pretty much all day, and 90s kids gotta 90.)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thud-thud-thud from tire chains on cars in the winter. There was no such thing as snow tires or tires with studs. If you went anywhere, and there was snow on the roads, you put on tire chains, and they had to be adjusted because they tended to loosen as you drove.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The sound of a summer night. We didn’t have fans so you slept with your head near a window. The ping, ping, ping of June bugs and mosquitos hitting the screen, the sound of owls and the flapping of bird wings, and the rustle of unknown creatures moving through the grass.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a couple of sounds that can still be heard today, but I rarely hear them because of where I live. Our house growing up was on the flight path from National Airport, and the planes overhead were deafening and frequent, maybe every 15 minutes. If you were outside, conversation stopped. I've seen the house from the air flying over, that's how close the planes were. We were also located about two blocks from the fire station, and since Arlington is a high density area, fire trucks blazed down the street three or four times a night. I'm out in the far suburbs now, rarely hear a plane, and fire trucks show up silently three or four times a year.

We could also hear taps being played at Fort Myer on still summer evenings. That was a sweet, sad sound.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sound of a summer night. We didn’t have fans so you slept with your head near a window. The ping, ping, ping of June bugs and mosquitos hitting the screen, the sound of owls and the flapping of bird wings, and the rustle of unknown creatures moving through the grass.
And the fragrance of magnolias.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The sound of the machine at the old drugstore soda fountains that mixed malts in the old silver tins. My favorite was what we always called chocolate malts, in some places it was a black and white because it was made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. There was almost a full second one in the tin which was also part of the deal. That is why when I was small and a parent was always there it was shared. That was a good thing because no one especially a small child needs all that sugar but I didn't care for the sharing idea.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes we would walk to where the air raid siren was and be under it when it was tested, which they did every Saturday at noon. It was mounted on top of a small grocery store with a residential area all around it. That thing was loud! It projected sound through a horn that rotated. This was in the 50's.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sound of the machine at the old drugstore soda fountains that mixed malts in the old silver tins. My favorite was what we always called chocolate malts, in some places it was a black and white because it was made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. There was almost a full second one in the tin which was also part of the deal. That is why when I was small and a parent was always there it was shared. That was a good thing because no one especially a small child needs all that sugar but I didn't care for the sharing idea.
Or how about a cherry phosphate?