Question Of The Day - Tuesday, December 12

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry, I like just about everything! The only thing that even comes close for me not to like is anything peppermint. But I'll eat that too at times, it's just not my favorite.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would! I'll try anything at least once!
With plenty of sugar that is not too bad, it is nothing like licorice, but still it has bit of that sting of some type of licorice, it is quite dense stuff too, so not too soft.

Milk makes it inedible though, but that is because I can't tolerate milk at all and I'm not even lactose intolerant, they have tested that many times.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would like the tradional one they describe (malted rye allowed to naturally sweeten with time) over the molasses one. I don't care for molasses. I drown every dessert in milk or cream so that part wouldn't bother me :D. I do like orange-flavored things so I probably would like it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fruitcake :cringe:, mincemeat :barfgreen:, and that green bean casserole with the (is it) cream soup and french fried onion stuff :noway:

i'd like the green beans without the cream soup and that fried onion stuff though.

and i wonder if a real English fruitcake might be better than the kind we generally have here in the US......:dunno:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... But I'm A-OK with gingersnaps, especially homemade ones with a little cayenne pepper for that kick that kinda burns your mouth a bit.
Thanks for that good recipe tip! yum

----

For me, I hate anything with the ever-present seasonal cranberries. :fear:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to try Mincemeat pie, since I prefer savory dishes. But I never could find it in any stores.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to try Mincemeat pie, since I prefer savory dishes. But I never could find it in any stores.
Except that mincemeat pie isn't made with meat, despite the name! Why did they name it that? Who knows. (Ok, there is apparently a little beef in the jarred stuff. It seems to be mostly fruits though)
Mincemeat Pie

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what Mincemeat even is, but it sounds like it would taste good.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents used to get the BEST fruitcake from a church fundraising group, but they stopped making it. No citron, tons of candied fruit and nuts, and the cake holding it together was moist and light, not a traditional fruitcake at all.

Mine would be eggnog. I used to like it, then started thinking about the whole raw egg thing and now I can't drink it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seasonal food, that would be this Paskha - Wikipedia if you would know Finnish, you would get how even it's name is so close to something that exists after eating, truly horrible.

Then Christmas food, rice pudding, I don't like rice and in that form it's smell makes me feel vomiting, it is kind of reflex or something.
Even writing this makes my tummy twist and body shake, I don't really know why, but I get really really strong negative feelings from even thinking of that stuff, it is so bad that I can't go to space/room where there is smell of rice pudding.

Then again there is not many foods I actually do tolerate, anything white or too soft is bad news etc.
I'm actually Half-Finnish :wave3: My father is from Vaasa, with a large handful of other family members living in other parts of Finland. I lived in Helsinki for a number of years as a child.

I've heard of that Paskha dish but never had it, for a variety of reasons - Reckon I am not missing much thankfully :lol:

Hei ja Hyvää Joulua! Onnellista tavata joku Suomessa!

(Sorry if my Finnish sounds imperfect)

*Edit*

OMG The Mämmi. Ah, sweet memories.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh heh heh heh

That is one of the best things for a flu, opens nose really quick. People who have not tasted that, can't really tell what kind of taste that has, nothing like a licorice, it is really strong, burns tongue and lasts long, you can't really chew that, but it melts so slow and burns.

It is wonderful sensation.
After getting used to Salmiakki, you want more taste and then this comes to play (Tyrkisk Peber is actually swedish name of it, Turkinpippuri is Finnish name):

Twenty Iconic Finnish Snacks

Problem is that some who does not know, tries that without getting used to Salmiakki first, that will burn so bad :D

It is like Tabasco sauce, but with sweet part in it, can't understand how someone would not like such, salty burning sweet sensation :p

Sadly I had to stop eating all the sweets around 8 months ago, but don't miss those waves of tiredness which pretty much stopped when I stopped eating sweets.