Question Of The Day - Tuesday, August 7

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings everyone! Happy first Tuesday of August!

Favourite famous cat person?

Thankfully there is quite a few, from Abraham Lincoln to Matisse! Mark Twain to Poe to Chekhov to Southey to Hemingway! Florence Nightingale to the Brontë Sisters! Churchill to Catherine The Great! Newton to Lennon! (And you get my point :tongue:)

Past, present, dead or alive, it's all good.

For myself....

Cardinal de Richelieu. Something sweet about his caretaking and love of his kitties. Not only did he took care of his own, he was devoted to promoting adoptions as companion animals in high French society. He had a room and catery just for them, and even had kitties nap on his lap as he worked. They were fed nice proper chicken daily, and even after his death he made sure they would be well provided for. Had 14 cats in his care at the time of his death, all with names.

The real life guy BTW, not the Three Musketeers version ;)

Freddie Mercury. Great music, great cat lover! Even writing a song about one of them. And as fans on the internet were saying "Making cat videos before they were cool" Need I say more? It's hard not to find him endearing.

There are no doubt many others in my brain, but they came to my mind first.

Kind of makes us cat lovers look quite smart too :lol: Just sayin'

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Celia Hammond was a British model in the 1960s and began to trap and neuter ferals in the 1970s after developing a passion for animals during the anti mink fur campaign. There are now four Celia Hammond sanctuaries in England, one of which Toffee and Fudge were adopted from :)

Anne Frank and her family were also into cats, as was Miep Gies, one of their helpers when they went to hide in the annex. Anne's cat was called Moortje ("blackie" in Dutch) and I read that her parents Edith and Otto had photos and paintings of cats on their walls in their apartment in Amsterdam.
Miep gained a cat when an elderly Jewish woman who lived near her was rounded up by the Nazis. She wrote in her book that the elderly woman gave her cat to Miep to look after until she returned, but sadly she died during the war and Miep adopted the cat, who lived with her for a long time.

Abraham Lincoln - his wife Mary Todd once stated that cats were his only hobby. He adopted several stray cats who lived with him at the White House.

Paul Klee - a Swiss artist who was inspired by his many cats. He has approximately 30 artworks that feature cats and he took his cats with him whenever he painted and travelled.

Elizabeth Taylor - gave a cat to James Dean as a gift and wrote a poem about cats.

Isaac Newton - is said to have invented the cat flap after he made a hole in the wall for his cat to go outside.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cassiopea cassiopea , I didn't know that about de Richelieu. That explains why, in the 1932/Ring of Fire S.F. book series (begun by Eric Flint, but written in by many authors) they gave de Richelieu a Siamese kitten when they were opening diplomatic relations with France.

I think my favorite is Sir Isaac Newton. Although, I'm also rather enamored of Mark Twain. :think:

Margret

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charles Dickens.

Last night for some reason, I was looking up Hemingway's cats on the Internet. All sources said they were polydactyl, but one site said it was a dominant gene, and another said it was a recessive gene. It sure can't be both. Then yet another site said the first cat's name was Snow White, and another said it was Snowball. Guess you can't believe everything you read.:dunno:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mark Twain, I liked the quotes about cats that have been attributed to him. I had always heard that the original Hemingway cat was named Snowball. I don't know anything about whether the extra toes is a dominant or recessive gene.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ernest Hemingway. They still have polydactyl cats at his old home that are descendent from his cat Snow White.

hemingwayhome.com | Cats
Been there! Pet some kitties! Best vacation ever! :lovecat::petcat::loveeyes::cloud9:

I don't really follow celebrities to know who is a cat person otherwise. I'm obviously a fan of Patrick McDonnell's comic strip Mutts. I like his way of using a comic strip to promote animal welfare. So maybe hes my favorite? The Official MUTTS Shop: Artwork, Books, Gifts & More for Animal Lovers

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That explains why, in the 1932/Ring of Fire S.F. book series
Whoops! :paperbag: Just re-read my post, and it's too late to edit it. I don't know how I came to call it the 1932 series; it's actually 1632 - which makes more sense of a gift to Richelieu.

Margret