Question Of The Day - Thursday 8 June

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Have you ever broken a bone ? If so, what bone and how ? :nurse:

I haven't broken any bones. But, I did crack the top my head open and have to have stitches once. I fell off my bike when I was about 10 years old :oops:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just broken my toes...several times. The first time was just before a hurricane made landfall, and there was a bit of a communication snafu while we were moving a bookcase away from the windows. Now I seem to keep breaking my toes every time I turn around. I really need to stop turning around. :wink:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have broken ribs and my nose. I broke my fibula 16 months ago. It was a bad fall on iced steps and I feel fortunate that a broken fibula is all that happened! No torn ligaments, no broken hip, no back problems and no head injury! Even though the fibula was separated, they did not put a cast on me. Just an Ace bandage. Sixteen months later I can't tell I ever had a broken bone! :thumbsup:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a broken toe that I don't remember how it happened but it was at some point.

GemsGem GemsGem I also fell off my bike around that age and managed not to break any bones. Just knocked out a tooth and knocked around several others, split my lip and scrapped my arms and legs up badly. I ended up having two dental surgeries and about 6 root canals to repair that damage and whenever I see a new dentist you can tell they judge my xrays harshly... at least until I explain.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I know of, lol. I probaby have broken a toe or two, but didn't go to the doctor so maybe it was just a bad bruise. Nothing other than that.

My little brother once broke his ankle by slipping on a magazine on the floor. Gotta watch out for those magazines! ;)

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back when I was in Kindergarten, I was pushed off a slide at school by a senior which broke my right arm. Right around 2 years later I double fractured my left arm on Good Friday- what was so good about Good Friday? I eventually had to go through arm surgery- put to sleep so my left arm could be rebroke and reset.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, where to start.
When I was around 20, my horse reared and came down on my head, split my skull open.
Cracked my right hip from a bad horse fall. Had my right foot shattered twice by a horse. Cracked a rib from coughing when I had pneumonia. Stress crack on my wrist from torqueing pipes together when they froze. Broke my butt and hip from falling down icy steps. Broke my leg and sprained my Achilles tendon falling in a hole. And recently, cracked my elbow. I don't have a clue how, don't remember hitting it on anything.

There were probably more, I just can't think of them right now.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've never broken a bone. (Trying not to be superstitious here and worrying that I've just tempted the fates).

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a broken upper arm in 2012. A work accident. Not fun.. Because the break was in a fairly good alignment, they decided not to do surgery. I could not have a cast, because of the location of the break; upper arm, not far from shoulder.
Ended up with shoulder arthroscopic surgery because my arm was immobilized in a sling, until it healed.. and then had more issues: elbow (nerve) issues...

2012 was not a good year..

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that the two fingertips I smashed back in 1999 was on my right hand so it was a pain in the rear end to write (or sign) anything seeing how I'm right handed so in a way I'm thankful for when my right arm got broke I was taught how to write left handed

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two broken bones. That long bone in my right foot when I tripped and fell and landed on my foot. Another time I had a stress fracture in my shin. I don't know how I did it. I found out that I have severe osteoporosis 15 years ago. I am surprised that I haven't had more broken bones. I've fallen down the steps twice, fell in the kitchen and landed flat on my back and yesterday morning I fell out of bed and did not get hurt or break anything.

Muffy

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess when I was a baby my toddler aged brother picked me up and then dropped me, breaking my leg. I have no memory of this at all. My parents did not take me to the hospital. They just bound my leg up with fabric. Somehow my leg healed just fine. I'm not sure why they didn't seek medical attention for me. Too cheap? Poor or no health insurance? :dunno:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've broken my right arm three times. Lucky for me, it still works. The first time was when I was about 8 or 9 and rollerskating. You remember those old skates that buckled on and had a key. Those. We lived on the side of a hill and coasted down the sidewalk. The twins next door were a year older and doing tricks by jumping over a board on the way down. I refused to do this, but they sneaked the board onto the sidewalk after I had started down. I was going too fast to stop and couldn't jump. Bam! I went right down. The twins swiftly disappeared, board and all, before I got up.

The second time happened about 20 years ago while I was walking my dog. He took off across a field, pulling me by the leash. (Who was walking who?) I stepped into a rabbit hole, and bam, I went down again. It hurt so badly I nearly fainted going home.

The third time was about 10 years ago in the hospital where I worked. The hall to the cafeteria was stone tile and polished like a mirror by the housekeeping staff. As I turned into the cafeteria, one foot slid out from underneath me, and bam, I went down again. It turned out that two other people had slipped and fallen on that floor, and the hospital was losing money on worker's comp. The president and CEO had the entire long hall covered with hardwood flooring.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not, I did. The hospital I worked for was a physical rehab facility, and it had no ER and no x-ray department. I had a difficult time convincing my doctor's scheduling nurse that I could not get treated there, but I finally did, and got in to see an orthopedist, who set my arm.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
:sigh: Where to start?

Broke a finger by falling into a drain when I was about 6, broke a collar bone by suddenly parting company with my pony when I was about 12. Broken thumb by falling off a motor bike at 18. Broken toe from being stepped on by a horse and then broke the same toe less than a year later when a car clipped me as I was crossing the street.

(Driver didn't even stop!)

I've had lots of stitches and a couple of concussions too. I'm kind of accident prone.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a chipped bone in my foot when i was a kid -- actually quite painful. and as an adult, a fractured big toe complete with a nasty fracture blister -- fracture blisters don't have any bearing on the severity of fractures, they just happen or they don't...is my understanding.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago, I broke the little toe on my left foot. Nothing they could do but tape it to the next toe and let it go. It doesn't hurt now or anything.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of another fracture bone I had. A few years ago my doctor took an X-ray and he said "Oh I see that you fracture your pelvic bone at some time in your life". I told him no, that he must have the wrong X-ray. He insisted that he had the right X-ray. A few years later another doctor told me the same thing. I asked my mother and she had no idea how I did it. One of the doctors said it could have happened when I was being born. My mother also told me that I was always climbing out of my crib and I could have fallen and got hurt.

Muffin