Question Of The Day - Thursday 27 June

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Spanish in high school and I have a Cuban sister-in-law. I don't speak it very well though.

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 2 years of Spanish in grade school, and worked with a guy from El Salvador, so I learned a little more, but fluent? Nah, just enough to get in trouble. As a sailor, I became fluent in obscenity, however.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am faaaar from fluent but I can understand and communicate some in sign language and asl.
I forgot about this! Although I am by NO means fluent. But I do know the alphabet, so if someone spelled each word very slowly, I could figure it out.

In grade school, my best friend and me decided to learn the ASL alphabet so we could talk to each other while in class with the teacher not knowing. Let's just say it didn't last because it took way to long to have a conversation. The things we do when were 12. :lol: (this was when 12 year olds were still 12 and not 20!:rolleyes3:)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand some Sicilian since my mom and her siblings spoke it with my grandparents but can’t speak anything but a word here or there. I tried taking an Italian class but there were enough differences between the Sicilian dialect and Italian to just confuse me.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i speak (very) little French -- though i know many words in French, two or three phrases in Spanish, and maybe a couple phrases in German. i can understand some spoken French, but read French much more easily.

i took Latin in high school one year, which i absolutely loved. we did learn to speak it too, though we were told that no one is sure exactly how it should be/was spoken.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took some French and some German in school. I used to be able to cuss in German; a friend said I was a bilingual cusser! I don't remember much about either language.

I learned a wee bit of sign language. When our grandson was very young, he wasn't picking up spoken words that well, but, for some reason, he was really good with sign language. He had some ear problems and, once they got his ears straightened-out, that was it for sign language; he hasn't been quiet since!

But, for the most part, I'm really good at Cat-ese! ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's just say it didn't last because it took way to long to have a conversation.
Haha, I think I did something similar when I was about that age! It takes forever to finger spell!

My brother knows ASL, and he's pretty fluent now. What a lot of people don't know is that ASL is a whole language, with it's own grammar rules, slang, and so on. Not a lot of finger spelling going on, although it's still used for words that don't have a sign. He says that context and facial expression are just as important for the language as the actual signs are. He likes to watch interpreters on TV and tell me when they mess up :tongue:.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the NY State Fair, they had a person doing sign language during the music concerts for the deaf in the audience. I thought that was pretty cool.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm fluent in German, which I use at least as much as English every day. I've lost most of my Spanish (3 years of it in high school, 4 at university decades ago) due to hardly ever using it. I can read a menu and do some grocery shopping in Hungary, but no way can I speak Hungarian.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can communicate in Spanish. Back in the day I was fluent - I spent a year in
Spain in 72-73. Since there are a lot of Spanish only speakers in Atlanta I hear and use it frequently (especially in my job), but I am not fluent anymore.

And of course I can communicate in meow.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so fluent in Cat that I'd consider myself a native speaker. I absolutely love languages I've studied French, German, Polish, Navajo, Kiswahili, Hebrew, Arabic, Turkish, Farsi and Korean. I do not consider myself a polyglot though because I'm only able to read or understand spoken words but I'm not able to converse unfortunately at least not past greetings and polite phrases one would use as a tourist.

The most I understand is French, German and Arabic with Korean being close.

Yikes I forgot Spanish. I live in a Latinx area and studied it in school so I didn't even think to include it.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am fluent in Spanish, French and, if you agree, in English, in that order.
I have lived my first 21 years in Uruguay, plus 10 years in England, 7 years in USA, 3 years in South Africa, 2 years in Australia, 41 years in France and back in Uruguay for the last 9 years.

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am fluent in Spanish, French and, if you agree, in English, in that order.
I have lived my first 21 years in Uruguay, plus 10 years in England, 7 years in USA, 3 years in South Africa, 2 years in Australia, 41 years in France and back in Uruguay for the last 9 years.
We agree, Drina!!:hugs: