Question Of The Day - Thursday 27 June

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Can you speak any other languages apart from English ? :)

Nope I can’t. I did learn German for a couple of years at school. But, I can only remember a few words now :rolleyes2:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Spanish and some French. Not fluently though. It's hard for me to practise on my own.

Mi gran abuelo was Cuban and French is just the standard language in Canada that people speak regularly.

I tried to learn Hebrew because I have Israeli ancestory but it's very difficult (for me anyway). Also, Irish.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took 5 years of French from 8th grade through 12th grade. I considered myself fluent by the time I graduated (I used to dream in French).

I don't get many opportunities to speak French. We've been to France a couple of times in the past 10 years, and I was able to get by.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand most Spanish (can't really speak it though) and if I were lost In Japan I could probably muddle through with the very limited words I remember. But, no, not in any meaningful capacity.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm proficient in French - having taken it starting in 7th grade and majoring in college, and were I immersed again I'd be fine after a few weeks, but I'm not fluent like a native speaker.

I'm okay in Spanish, though I tend to say everything in the present tense. Not as strong as French.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not say I am fluent, but I can read and mostly understand spoken Old English and Middle English. I can read some French, German, Irish Gaelic, Spanish, Latin, and a wee bit of Hebrew. I can understand some spoken Spanish, French, Latin, Irish Gaelic, Korean, and Japanese. (My son is currently studying Japanese.) I am horrible at trying to speak any of it. The Spanish and Korean were picked up because I enjoy Spanish and Korean drama series. I would love to speak or read Arabic or Farsi.

For the dorkiness in me, I have been trying to teach myself written Vulcan (Vulcan calligraphy is beautiful) and Quenya (High Elvish).

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some Spanish and a little more French. I pronounce quite well, but get tongue-tied when I try to speak any of it. So I'm limited to reading and listening. And of course, I know cat very well. Mingo appreciates that. He's quite chatty.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took 4 years of Latin in high school and was president of the Latin Club one year; but we never really spoke it even in class. Our teacher said it wasn't really worth the time so we could focus on other things in class.

I am faaaar from fluent but I can understand and communicate some in sign language and asl. It depends on the person signing.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I took 2 years of French in high school, and remember a few words and phrases, but definitely not fluent.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit of French from 3 years of it in high school. I love everything French; food, decor, fields of lavender, movies, etc. I may be able to get by a bit if there, but not very well.