Question Of The Day - Thursday 24 Jan

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to pick a favorite - probably cauliflower or spinach. Unlike a lot of other posters, I really like eggplant, provided it's breaded and well salted.

I dislike parsnips, but will eat them in vegetable soup.
I like eggplant too. Sliced thin and fried until crispy.

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lima beans. Haven't eaten them in over 50 years but I remember as a kid mom would sometimes fix mixed frozen vegetables. Of course I picked out all the lima beans and put them on my younger brother's plate so he would have to eat them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen zucchini blossoms done a lot on cooking shows. Seems like they are usually fried and sometimes stuffed.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Lima beans. Haven't eaten them in over 50 years but I remember as a kid mom would sometimes fix mixed frozen vegetables. Of course I picked out all the lima beans and put them on my younger brother's plate so he would have to eat them.
:lol:
Yeah, lima beans run a close second to okra.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
favorites are beets, and fresh homegrown tomatoes.

least favorites are lima beans, rutabegas, and corn.

i really like eggplant! but like some others have said, it must be prepared breaded and then fried until crispy.

i do like okra, but the only way i like it is sliced into rings, dipped in egg, then into breadcrumbs. lay it out on a baking sheet, and bake in the oven until done/crispy. :yummy: the okra is not slimy at all that way.

Last edited:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
carrots, celery, pickles, zucchini, black olives, eggplant, peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes are my favorite. I hate peas by themselves. In the pod taste better.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My younger brother used to eat dandelion flowers. He'd just pick them from the lawn and eat them as is.
We used to call dandelions wet-the-beds when we were kids. We told each other if you picked them you'd pee yourself at night.

I don't know where we got that idea from, but I hear dandelions are a diuretic. Did your younger brother ever......um....notice that effect?

:insertevillaugh:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always liked Lima beans :dunno:. They have a nice buttery taste. I like beets, too, especially pickled.

I won't eat celery sticks (stringy, ugh), but it's OK sauteed and used for flavor. I don't like big chunks though. And I don't like cooked green peppers. It makes them bitter and slimy. Raw green peppers are yummy. And I like pickled okra, but not cooked okra. It's slimy too.

Texture can be more important than taste for me. Nothing slimy. Or too smooth. Like butternut squash---I like it, but if I get the frozen mashed kind that has a smooth texture, it makes me gag. It needs to be in chunks or mashed with some chunks in it. My mom says she couldn't feed me baby food when I was an infant because it all made me gag! :barfgreen:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomatoes, Broccoli, Corn, Spinach and Potatoes.

Can enjoy celery and carrots too, especially with a nice dip.

Technically tomatoes are a fruit but oh well! :lol:

Least favourite...cauliflower, radishes, string beans, onions, kale.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like vegetables, most of them anyway. I don't really have a favorite.

My least favorite vegetable? Eggplant. Maybe it's because nobody has ever done eggplant that it didn't come out slimy and disgusting. A very close second would be okra. I'm just not going there.
Okra is good if it's breaded and fried until crispy.
We used to call dandelions wet-the-beds when we were kids. We told each other if you picked them you'd pee yourself at night.

I don't know where we got that idea from, but I hear dandelions are a diuretic. Did your younger brother ever......um....notice that effect?

:insertevillaugh:
Not that I know of but I think he'd just pick one and eat it and it wasn't a frequent thing.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really have a favorite or a least favorite. I love all vegetables. My favorite way to cook most fresh vegetables is slice them up, put them in a bowl with a bit of canola oil and garlic salt. Then stir them around, put them in a skillet on low heat and let them pan fry just a little, just to crisp tender. Maybe sweet potato is my favorite now that I think about it a bit. They are a root vegetable. I like them hot. I like them cold. I eat one just about every day. Yep, that one is probably the favorite.