Question Of The Day - Thursday 21 September

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am absolutely petrified of the dark.

I don't like height, but can handle it if I have to.

There is no way I can handle the dark. Too much happened to me when I was younger and I can't go there.

Being on a boat/ship and not being able to see the shoreline anywhere. Or a flippin' plane. It's a control thing. I could probably be on a plane, if they'd let me fly it. And yeah, I know exactly how stupid that sounds!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heights is about as close as I can get, I get vertigo, but can climb up to a second story to paint(?) I'm fine as long as I don't have anyone near. I have a fear of wasps, but can be near them if they leave me alone. I used to raise snakes and mice, so no problem there.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sharks. I witnessed a friend getting his leg ripped open by a sand shark when we were in our early twenties and since then I've only gone in the ocean up to my knees. :cold:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharks. I witnessed a friend getting his leg ripped open by a sand shark when we were in our early twenties and since then I've only gone in the ocean up to my knees. :cold:
I think sharks should be feared as they can do some serious damage or take your life. Especially if you witnessed one attack a person. That seems more like common sense to me :)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am scared of bees for a good reason. Some years ago I was stung on my wrist while walking in the evening in a forest in France on a vacation away from home. I didn't worry too much at the time but when I woke up in the morning my arm was red and swollen from the wrist to the shoulder. I was given some shots and swallowed some antidotal pills for a few days. I was told then that I had been lucky I had not been stung on my throat and that I had to be careful in the future because that type of allergy accumulates in one's system. A pity because I had always liked bees and admired the way they function to produce honey.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whirlpools in lakes and oceans - seriously freak me out!

Currents in oceans. You can thank Nova Scotia for that, lived there for 5 years growing up :lol: I was taught about the dangers of large waves against the coastline and currents, how they can grab you if you go too close, sweep you away and pull you down underwater or out to sea where you drown. Body destroyed in the process. It is totally an understandable thing to instill, as it is genuinely dangerous and people have died in places like Peggy's Cove every year. And of course, NS has a large fishing heritage, so respecting the sea goes hand in hand.

I don't *think*? I have an actual fear of the ocean itself, so not entirely Thalassophobia. I am totally fine on boats in the sea, swimming on sand beaches and the like etc I can find other things about the ocean kind of eerie/creepy or interesting though.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
High, exposed places without some sort of guardrail. I have dreams of almost slipping over the edge of a steep, high cliff.

Broken glass. When our resident poltergeist, Harrigan, made the glass tabletop literally explode into thousands of pieces, my poor husband had to clean and sweep and sweep and vacuum a 15' x 15' area all by himself. The largest piece of those 200 pounds of glass was 12" x 18" and most were small shards. I went and hid.

I've forced myself to handle snakes under controlled conditions and had a chicken snake fall asleep in my lap. However, coming across a snake unexpectedly, especially a poisonous one, would probably unhinge me.

I shouldn't tell those of you who fear sharks, but they can be in very shallow water such as knee-high, too. However, most of those aren't usually the kind that attack a human.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.

Heh.

13 as faces.gif

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately Triskaidekaphobia is not one of my problems because although I don't do it on purpose I often end up with 13 people at the table An unexpected guest who arrives at the last minute or an expected guest who also cancels at the last minute. If at that you add wine beeing spilled accidentally on the table cloth you have the perfect set up to make some people cringe. :eek: Not me, fortunately. I'm only concerned about my table cloth!:rolleyes2: But I try to convince everybody that spilling wine brngs good luck :evilgrin:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't tell those of you who fear sharks, but they can be in very shallow water such as knee-high, too. However, most of those aren't usually the kind that attack a human.
Except Bull sharks. They can and will in knee deep water.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All this talk about sharks reminds me of my visits to a beach in Sydney when I was living in Australia back in 1979. When I was asked by the beach surveyor not to go into the water off the area he was surveying I asked him if people risked to be attacked by sharks on that beach......... he replied "Oh NO madam, not very often" You bet I never ever put my feet againin that water. :help:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I used to be phobic about blood, couldn't have a blood test without passing out or even see someone else having one.

I'm a lot better now, I've had lots of tattoos done so blood and needles don't phase me any more.