GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Another easy question this Thursday :thumbsup:

Do you have a fear or phobia of anything ? :paranoid:

Ok, so don't laugh. But I am terrified of .....erm...... butterflies ! :paperbag: :doh:
I think it's because they do that jerky fluttering about & you can't tell which direction they are heading in. It freaks me out :confused:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Do dentists count? My sister and I both share awful memories of our childhood dentist, aka Mr. Drill. He didn't use novocain and as children we still have a fear about going to the dentist to this day.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Without a doubt maggots, even typing that word it feels like a dirty gross word I shouldn't write on this site. When I see them it is like they are crawling under my skin. They give me the extreme heebie jeebies and even thinking about them grosses me out. I cannot go anywhere near maggots and I am most definitely phobic of them.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I have problems with heights, driving over long bridges and being confined in tight spaces. The phobia about heights is especially bad because I get vertigo that actually would make me fall over the edge. There was a point where I had a phobia about driving through tunnels because the lighting had a hypnotic effect on me but I managed to get over that.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's frog's and snakes for me. I feel sick just looking at them. It hasn't helped that Pickle,one of my cats has caught 14 slowworms this year and brought them back for me to see. They have all very much been alive.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I have problems with heights, driving over long bridges and being confined in tight spaces. The phobia about heights is especially bad because I get vertigo that actually would make me fall over the edge. There was a point where I had a phobia about driving through tunnels because the lighting had a hypnotic effect on me but I managed to get over that.
You should see some of the stuff the guys I work for do. They are scaffold riggers and erectors. This is on the Lionsgate Bridge in Vancouver BC. They aren't even at the top there.
LionsgateBridge2005.JPG

First time they took me up in an apartment building with no walls we got off on the 21st floor. I stepped off the construction elevator and my initial thought was lay down and grab the concrete floor. I get the most incredible feeling in my stomach when I go up high.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Needles (as in injections/blood tests) is the big one for me. I used to be absolutely horrendous with them, but after a couple of hospitalisations where blood was being drawn daily/multiple times a day, I got over the worst of it. I still can't watch though (even on tv), and I always tell the doctor/nurse not to say anything about what they're doing until the needle's out!

I have a mild phobia of bees and wasps too - I hate it when they get close to me or approach me (or if they get inside the house), but I'm ok seeing them a little way off, minding their own business!

Nothing else springs to mind.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Another easy question this Thursday :thumbsup:

Do you have a fear or phobia of anything ? :paranoid:

Ok, so don't laugh. But I am terrified of .....erm...... butterflies ! :paperbag: :doh:
I think it's because they do that jerky fluttering about & you can't tell which direction they are heading in. It freaks me out :confused:
You're not alone, I have a friend who's afraid of butterflies and moths. :agree:

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
travel. I live in Cornwall UK and I've never been further than Cardiff and I've never flown. The thought of getting on a Ferry or a plane terrifies me even though it's totally irrational. Ironically, I'm a travel claim assessor and I talk to people about their holidays for 7 hours a day.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Add me to the list of bees, wasps, and snakes..

And, for some reason, being in deep water, over my head is beginning to scare me. I used to be fearless at the beach, but now, thinking of myself on a boat..or on a long bridge over water, really gets me anxious....

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was very very afraid of plants as a kid. It's pretty shocking that I love gardening as an adult. I still don't like things getting close to my face and I prefer to have my skin covered with sleeves or gloves. But it's nowhere near like when I was a kid. Or even as an adult before we bought our own home and started gardening. My older cousin used to tease me. She had me convinced if I got a grass stain on my bare knee; clovers would grow out of them. And watermelon vines in my belly if I ate a watermelon seed. Which is awful for someone who you've made afraid of vines. (I still don't like vining plants like ivy. Yuck.) I remember having dreams about the clover coming out my knee and pulling on them but the stems never ended. I'd just keep pulling. There were dreams about a jungle growing up around the bed. No wonder I slept with my mother till I was 10!

I took a Floriculture class in high school and loved it! That helped a lot. It turns out I'm pretty good at floral arranging. :thumbsup:

Several years ago DH had been bugging me to go walk a nature trail he'd found. It uses boardwalks for a big section and goes through a marsh. So parts are surrounded by marsh grass taller than my head with these white tassels on top. DH thought he was being funny when he found one laying on the boardwalk and came up behind me and snuck it over my shoulder. I was SO MAD AT HIM!! I am not a very vocal/demonstrative person but I shrieked and panicked. We've hiked together as long as we've been together and he has always held branches and things back for me. So I don't know what he was thinking that time. He's a great husband; but man at that moment he was in biiig trouble with me!! :nono:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.
Triskaidekaphobia.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crickets. Absolutely terrified of them. Also sharks, which doesn't make any sense. I have always lived in Arizona with the exception of summers on grandma's cattle ranch in Oklahoma. So, never near the ocean.
Ok, so don't laugh. But I am terrified of .....erm...... butterflies !
I know a lot of people that are afraid of butterflies and moths.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm scared of needles and heights. I got my flu shot yesterday and had some blood work and did not even feel them. I guess it depends on what type of needles they use.

Muffy

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heights. It's so bad it's almost paralyzing.

I used to be terrified of spiders but for the most part have gotten over it.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be afraid of heights, but I suppose my friends and acquaintances dragged me to so many cliffs and mountaintops that I seem to have gotten over it.

Many years ago, I almost stepped on a copperhead snake. I was walking on a path by a river. When my friend caught up with me and shone the flashlight on the path, my foot was coming down on a big fat copperhead crossing the path. I learned to fly in that moment! Ever since then I have not wanted to walk outside at night without a flashlight, and I have gained a fear of snakes.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think the closest i come to a phobia is feeling fear when in a vehicle crossing a very high/arched long bridge. and there's the undertow at beaches, which i had absolutely no fear of until my parents instilled that fear when i was a child. now, i don't swim in the ocean and won't go in over about waist high water.