Question Of The Day - Thursday 12 September

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

What was your very first pet & what was their name ? :)

When I was born my mom and dad already had 4 cats and 1 dog that were family pets.
The very first pet that was officially all mine was a hamster with the very original name of Hammy :biggrin:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a goldfish named Mr. Fish that lived to be too damn old! :crackup:I don't even remember how I came to have him.

My first four-legged pet was a beagle named Cassie.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First family pet I remember was a Great Pyrenees... first pet of my very own was a hamster, followed by some white mice. Over the decades, we had a number of Corgis, a German Shepherd, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, a number of Siamese cats, and an even greater number of other DSH cats, all colors and sizes. I like dogs, but I like cats even more, LOL. :petcat:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Turtles, those small ones that are now banned due to carrying salmonella all the time. I don't even thing we gave them names and nor did they live with us because my mom (and dad) were NOT animal people. We kept them at an aunt's house down the block.

They didn't live very long *sighs*.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A white fish and goldfish called Peter Pan and Tinkerbell that were presents for my fifth birthday. Tinkerbell is still alive and I'm now almost 20.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We had dogs as long as I remember but they were black Lab hunting dogs and not exactly pets. The first one I remember was Queenie. There were also two horses, Sassy and Mabel.

The first real pet was a grey cat we named Fluffy. Shortly after getting her the dogs brought home a baby rabbit we kept and named Petey.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first "pet" was a gold fish. I think I just called him fishy. My mom is allergic to every animal with fur or feathers, so I was never able to get a real pet until my parents divorced. After that (at Dad's), we always had family pets, (dogs, cat, birds, gerbils, bunny, hamsters, fish, but MY first REAL pet was Toby. My seal point DSH, who just last year passed away at almost 20 from CKD.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A goldfish named Marilyn when I was probably about 8 or 9. She didn't live very long.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A big Burmese cat named Jonah!
We named him Jonah because he was stuck under our house for three days (we had started feeding him from under there, and eventually adopted him), just like Jonah was in the belly of a whale for three days in the Bible lol
We had him till I was around 7, then he ran away one day and never came back. We searched everywhere :( He was a good boy.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

What was your very first pet & what was their name ? :)

When I was born my mom and dad already had 4 cats and 1 dog that were family pets.
The very first pet that was officially all mine was a hamster with the very original name of Hammy :biggrin:
My big brofur, a longhaired black and silver tabby who was 3 when I joined the family. His name was Peedie. No "pets" though. Beloved family members, and never "owned"!!! There were also two pair of red-eared sliders, Pete & RePete I and II, and Kikko, longhaired black Siamese boy.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first family pet was a boxer named Boots. My parents got her when I was 2 years old and she was the love of my life.
My first pet was an orange Manx named Tommy. He was something else.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My first family fur friends were Elvis Presley and Fooey, the cats, and Skeeter, a small terrier mix who showed up at the house on the verge of starvation. Dad named her Skeeter because, he said, she was as thin as a mosquito. Oh, and we had a turtle named Toby. All of these critters were already there when I came along.

The first fur friend I got myself was Sara, my wonderful, extraordinary tortie. It was between my junior and senior years of college, and my parents said I couldn't get a cat. Snort.:flail:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My very first pet as a child was a blue male betta fish named... Blue.

I was in kindergarten I think. At the time, you could buy betta fishes at Walmart. I think my sister bought him for me as a gift.

Well, all was fine and dandy until one day dear old blue decided to jump out of his tank. He landed on my carpet and dried up. I don't know how we didn't notice. He had dried out so long, ants had found his body and started doing ant things to him.

I didn't even notice he had dried up on the carpet I stepped on him! His body had dried out so much it hurt me when I stepped on him. Cried to my mom in pain and told her I stepped on something hard in the living room.

My parents picked him up and examined him in the kitchen. To their disbelief, it was Blue. I remember looking down and crying when he was brought into the kitchen light for a better look. I could see a few ants around him.

Now, I cried. A lot. I would say 60% was grief and that other 40% was disgust that I had made contact with something dead. I was sad when I went back to school so the teacher told me to draw and write about it. I still have the paper in a box of things from middle school!!

Til this day, I still have a phobia of dead animals. Whenever a pet I have dies, I have to get someone else to do the dirty work. My skin crawls.

:fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My very first pet as a child was a blue male betta fish named... Blue.

I was in kindergarten I think. At the time, you could buy betta fishes at Walmart. I think my sister bought him for me as a gift.

Well, all was fine and dandy until one day dear old blue decided to jump out of his tank. He landed on my carpet and dried up. I don't know how we didn't notice. He had dried out so long, ants had found his body and started doing ant things to him.

I didn't even notice he had dried up on the carpet I stepped on him! His body had dried out so much it hurt me when I stepped on him. Cried to my mom in pain and told her I stepped on something hard in the living room.

My parents picked him up and examined him in the kitchen. To their disbelief, it was Blue. I remember looking down and crying when he was brought into the kitchen light for a better look. I could see a few ants around him.

Now, I cried. A lot. I would say 60% was grief and that other 40% was disgust that I had made contact with something dead. I was sad when I went back to school so the teacher told me to draw and write about it. I still have the paper in a box of things from middle school!!

Til this day, I still have a phobia of dead animals. Whenever a pet I have dies, I have to get someone else to do the dirty work. My skin crawls.

:fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:
I'm so sorry about Blue. It's always hard when someone you care about passes.