Question of the Day: Sunday the 5th of January, 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD MORNING, AFTERNOON, OR EVENING!! Happy Sunday or Monday

I was pondering my favorite vocalists yesterday after I answered Norachan Norachan 's Question of Day.
I have so many.

Here are some of my faves: Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Billie Holiday, Josh Grogan, Marvin Gaye, Bonođź’–, Kurt Cobain, Pavarotti and the other 2, lol. I love sooo many different music genres.
I think my favorite was Layne Staley, original lead singer of Alice in Chains. His amazing tenor voice would give the Three Tenors a run for their money. His harmonies with guitarist Jerry Cantrell were sublime. Unfortunately, he died of a Heroin overdose in 2002, his body not being found for 2 weeks.

Anyway, Layne Staley RIP.đź’–

Who are some of your faves? And maybe what are your fave songs by them?

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Sting, particularly his song "Russians"; Gwen Stefanni and her "4 in the Morning" at most.
I used to like Mariah Carey and Celine Dion. I think it depends on my mood. :)

I once watched Sinatra in concert at the Folk Arts in Manila years ago. During those times he was already forgetting the lyrics of his songs, but he still sounded so great!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Florence Welch, Alice Pheobe Lou, Ed Sheeran, Puddles (I do not know his real name. It is Puddles' Pity Party), Idina Menzel, Rhiannon Giddens, Loreena McKennitt, Hozier, Johnny Flynn, Michael Crawford, Jonathan Antoine, Cass Elliot, and Dolly Parton.

I was excited the other day while watching "Good Girls" because they used part of Alice Pheobe Lou's song "She" in one of the episodes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love Dean Martin and Perry Como, their smooth voices and fun songs are soothing and easy to listen to. Then on the other end I love Ted Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever (of course), the groups Bread, Guns and Roses, and Aerosmith,and I cry everytime I hear Unchained Melody by the Rightous Brothers. I like a lot of different kinds of music. Rock the best when I am working at a project like weeding or painting a house.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There far too many to list but I will say that I never tire of hearing Steve Perry (Journey). Many artists I love, but I can't listen to an entire album of theirs, eventually, as much as I love their voices,they get on my nerves. Whether it's their tone, their way of singing, their vibrato, etc..things that attract me to their voice at first, eventually I can't take anymore, but Journey is different, Steve Perry's voice is perfect.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have too many to list but to borrow a few of the vocalists from the ones already mentioned above - I like Steve Perry as well as The Righteous Brothers (Unchained Melody). But also Lou Christie (Lightnin' Strikes), Jay Black (Cara Mia), Aretha Franklin, David Ruffin (The Temptations), Levi Stubbs (The Four Tops), Harry Chapin, Bruno Mars, Kelly Clarkson, Adele, and the list goes on........

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
My all time favourite singer is not a very good singer:

Neil Young.

I also love Bob Dylan and would usually rather listen to him than a cover of one of his songs by a more talented singer.

I don't exclusively listen to men with bad voices, though. I also enjoy Joni, Judy, Mama Cass, Sinead, Tori, Pink, and a lot of the young girls.

I've enjoyed every Imagine Dragons song I listened to. I may have rolled my eyes every time my grandparents put on a Frank Sinatra record, but after being reintroduced to him by a ten year old who had just discovered "SINN-uh-truh", I was able to see what a truly great talent he is and he became one of my guilty "old lady" pleasures.

I couldn't stand rap/hip hop when I was in my 30s but either I've grown up or the genre has.