Question of the Day, Sunday the 23rd of August, 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
HELLO, HELLO and HAPPY SUNDAY!

I've been pondering this since Pam's QOD Winchester Winchester on Friday

If you could remodel, expand, etc any room of your home, funds are no object, which room would it be? What would you have done?

It would be my bedroom. I would have it painted a very soft pink, traditional wood shutters in cherry, the softest most comfortable bed known to man, a mission style recliner, mission style lamps, a stool for Cal so she can get on the bed easier, a few soft comforters, quilts, 5 sets of 1,000 count Egyptian cotton sheets. The room would be made larger so there would be built in book cases, lots of them. Soft throws for Cal.

What about you?

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year, we actually did remodel most of the house. Kitchen, two bathrooms, and the living room. New carpet throughout the house.

I would like to paint my bedroom and get new furniture. Been the same for 23 years.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Finish the remodeling project that we started.....and I don't think the second part will ever be done at this point. When we gutted the kitchen and started over, I wanted to put a two-car garage on the house. Move the living room over to above the garage. Make the old living room into a dining room. And then put a large island where the kitchen table is. Why? Because I would like to have more room in the kitchen. I'd love to have a place to roll out dough. I'd love to have a place where I can really work. The way it is now, whenever I want to roll out dough or do some serious work, I have to move everything on the counter over to the kitchen table to give me decent room. An island would really help; the kitchen is way too small to put an island in the middle of the kitchen and it would just get in the way.

Don't get me wrong. I do love our kitchen. It's light and airy and has plenty of storage space. It's just really small.

We've done the whole house over in the years since we built it: bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom. All new windows and doors. We do want to pull the carpet in the living room out and replace it with hardwood flooring; the carpet is stained from kitty puke. And new stair railing and such.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually just got done gutting a 1930's farmhouse and starting over. Everything is just as we wanted, a huge kitchen with an island and dining room, a large living room and a huge bedroom with a walk-in closet and light, airy master bath with a soaking tub. everything is in soft gray and white trim. now we have the basement to complete, a deck to add to the kitchen, and all the landscaping. I'm in heaven and so are the cats, They have two stories and a basement to explore, and it took only two days for them to start. I thought it would be weeks!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If money truly was no object, I would have the house jacked up and the present dry-stacked rubble foundation removed and replaced with a poured concrete one that would give a full 8 foot finished height so I wouldn't have to duck my head as is currently the case in many areas.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could find a way to expand our bathroom at least a wee bit. I do not see how we would be able to do it, but it is so small that I can sit on the toilet, turn on the tub, and wash my hands with just a lean forward or sideways. We are talking about getting rid of the tub and just doing a walk-in shower. If we do that, in the context of this question, I would get a really nice custom shower instead of the install kit we have been considering. I would want a rain shower system and a multiple shower head systems so that I could change things up depending on my mood. I would also want a nice wide bench so I felt safe on it. I still want a shower curtain, though. I am not a fan of shower doors because they make me paranoid.

I would really want a giant bathtub like the prefects' bathroom in Harry Potter but with a rain shower worked in somehow. That is not happening, though!

My other option would be my kitchen. It is pretty small, but that is not the real issue. The layout makes some spaces completely unusable, particularly the one entire corner of the countertop. It leaves me with a 24" area of countertop space. I bake a lot, so it is an issue. The other area corner is between the countertop dishwasher and the refrigerator. You cannot open the refrigerator if someone is standing there, and the refrigerator sticks out past the counter, making getting into the corner somewhat of a claustrophobic experience. There is nowhere else for the refrigerator to go in there. It also makes the two floor cabinets and two upper cabinets over there difficult to use, especially with my leg the way it is. We had to get a freestanding pantry to give me more room for my stuff.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would work on the back half of the bottom floor of my house - finish the remodel of the kitchen that I am afraid will never get done now my husband is ill. Attach a garage and enlarge the half bath we have to a full bath since I know it is going to get to difficult for him to climb the stairs at some point. In my dream world I would completely redo the entire house. I would rip it down to the subfloor and studs and start over. Probably the only thing I wouldn't change is the huge fireplace.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
No question, it would definitely be the kitchen. I have wanted to remodel it since we lived here but another big expense always got in the way. We changed the floor to hardwood and replaced the stove, oven and dishwasher but that's all. The floors need to be refinished now and I would love a new fridge, new cabinets, backsplash and farmhouse/apron sink.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No question, it would definitely be the kitchen. I have wanted to remodel it since we lived here but another big expense always got in the way. We changed the floor to hardwood and replaced the stove, oven and dishwasher but that's all. The floors need to be refinished now and I would love a new fridge, new cabinets, backsplash and farmhouse/apron sink.
Take it from me, who learned through bitter experience, that a kitchen remodel is the biggest pain in the posterior that exists on God's green Earth.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Next on my list of projects is to finish my basement which right now is just 1550 feet of storage space. I don’t really need this space but just feel like it’s something that should be completed. It was built to be a living space, has big windows, and a wood burning fireplace. Next spring I will have the drain and sump pump system updated and a new drainage system put on outdoors as well. Sometime after that I will add a wall to create a roughly 20x30 family room, have all the walls studded out and insulated, new overhead electrical installed and a new drop ceiling. And finally flooring and wall finishing. In addition to the family room the basement will have a large laundry room, a bathroom, a back bedroom, and a couple of large storage closets.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Redo the hardwood floors. The unit originally was carpeted and I had it replaced with hardwood before I moved in, knowing one day I would have a cat and did not want to deal with carpet stains and lingering odors that are soaked through to the subfloor. Now 10 years later I have noticeable up to 1/2 inch gaps between some of the floor boards that collect cat litter 😦

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Redo the hardwood floors. The unit originally was carpeted and I had it replaced with hardwood before I moved in, knowing one day I would have a cat and did not want to deal with carpet stains and lingering odors that are soaked through to the subfloor. Now 10 years later I have noticeable up to 1/2 inch gaps between some of the floor boards that collect cat litter 😦
One inexpensive option is to cover over the hardwood with vinyl laminate. Pretty Inexpensive, and indestructible and a do it yourself type project.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't know where to start! During the last week of October,10 new windows and a new front door will be installed. And then? As I need a new fitted fridge and dishwasher in the kitchen anyway, it may be a good idea to start there. Knock down the wall separating kitchen and dining area will get rid of a door and, may or may not, give more wall area for cupboards by avoiding dead corner spaces. On the other hand I (or my cats) would love a catio so a conservatory wouldn't be a bad idea. 💰💰💰