Question of the Day, Sunday, the 16th of August, 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Hello and Happy Sunday!!

Do you have a special lunch or dinner on Sundays? Did you when you were a child?

My mother usually made roast beef for Sunday lunch, that was our big meal of the day.

When I was married, every Sunday I made some kind of Italian food because my husband
grew up with that. Eggplant parm, lasagne, pasta in a red sauce, shrimp with pasta, etc

What about you?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We almost always had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn on Sundays when I was young. Occasionally a roast. we were Catholic, and on the no meat on Friday days back then, we made homemade tacos with refried beans. None of us were crazy about fish. If I fix something special now, which is rare, I make homemade chicken and noodles (the noodles from scratch, frozen doesn't compare)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We didn't have anything special on Sundays as a child. Neither did my ex-husband so it wasn't something I ever did. When the kids were little and I always worked full time, Sunday was the big house cleaning day. I went to the supermarket and did laundry on Saturday and the big housecleaning on Sunday so there was no big meal cooked on Sunday.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up in London, we always had a traditional roast for Sunday lunch. It was accompanied with roast potatoes, gravy and two veg:
  • roast beef with Yorshire pudding, horseradish sauce or mustard
  • roast lamb with mint sauce or jelly
  • roast pork with crackling, and apple sauce
  • roast chicken
My father had to carve the joint: wafer thin slices so that the small, expensive piece of meat could be shared between 2 adults and 6 children.

I continued this tradition (though I had to carve the joint myself and my husband wanted more than a few thin slices of meat) till we moved to Germany. The joints of meat available did not produce the same results so I started making a pot roast instead. But, compared to the British traditional roast, it was a mid-week meal rather than something special. So slowly, Sunday meals have become just another meal, where anything goes.

Today? It is very hot and humid, my plan was to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen: wholewheat pasta with tuna, lemon and rocket was on the menu. But, when I came to start cooking I found that the rocket had already collapsed into a soggy mess. So, some Tikka Masala was hastily removed from the freezer and heated up, i cooked some rice and that was that!

My mother would have turned in her grave - she had nothing against "foreign" food but it had to be served with potatoes and 2 veg! Bless her!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't really have a special Sunday meal and I can't remember back when I was a kid whether we had a special Sunday meal or not. Mom and I were doing Pot Roast on Sundays but with her arthritis and my severe nerve damage in both hands we just do whatever we can like picking up pulled pork from the deli or something.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
At home, Mom did a Sunday dinner; it was roast chicken or beef. Something "nicer" than what we would have had during the week. When Rick and I got married, I kept it up for quite a while and, even today, I'll try to prepare something a little special for Sunday dinner.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Growing up we had breakfast for Sunday night dinners, not sure why my mom did that but we all liked it. With my own family, husband and kids, we would bbq in summer but otherwise noting special on Sunday.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing special growing up or now. I think when I was working that I did use Sunday’s to make some freezer meals so I probably did have better meals that day than other days of the week. And for a long time when my son was growing up I made bread on Sundays.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do Sunday roast for the kid's when they where young, but I don't bother now unless it's asked for or when I get visits from my daughter and grandkids. I actually miss doing it every Sunday.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I hate to cook, and Sunday is no different from other days. My mother was a great cook, but I don't think we had special meals except on holidays.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At home, Mom did a Sunday dinner; it was roast chicken or beef. Something "nicer" than what we would have had during the week. When Rick and I got married, I kept it up for quite a while and, even today, I'll try to prepare something a little special for Sunday dinner.
We did that too when I was a kid. When DD was young too. Now that it's just the cats and me, I don't do that. I will roast a piece of meat that is just enough for us to share. Tonight I will roast a turkey thigh and they will help me eat it. They LOVE turkey.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid and lived near family we had dinner at my Grandparents every Sunday after church. My cousins were there and it was a great time! My Grandma was an awesome cook. I miss her Sunday roasts with kluski and gravy. After we moved away Sunday's were more simple. Mom did make some nice dinners; but it was just us or occasionally guests.

Now Sundays are a day where I try to relax. We might run errands after church but we often have sandwiches for lunch and leftovers for dinner and nap in between or just chill on the couch. I'd save the errands for other days; but that's when we are near those places.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom always made a big meal for Sunday Dinner; which was eaten at 12 noon or so.

Sunday night supper was a lighter one: usually sandwich or leftover pizza from the night before. Most usually sandwiches.

After my mom passed, I continued the Sunday Dinner, but at a later time. It was an early supper. It also gave my dad some leftovers for the week and some to freeze.
Now, it is just me, so no point in cooking. I have been known to just have a large bag of popcorn for supper

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, my mother and her family used to do this when she was a child, but we've never done it. We do often have Sunday roast for dinner on the last day of the week but at dinner time rather than in the afternoon.