Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 3, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant that literally. I sneeze, my nose runs, and if not warmed, it progresses to something like a cold. But it isn't, because if I take a Claritin, it all goes away. I used to work in an office where someone insisted on keeping the thermostat at 65 degrees F. I was miserable, wore a sweater, kept a lap robe on my lap, and was drugged up with antihistamines all day.
i'm sorry that i didn't catch that you meant that literally! that sounds quite...uncomfortable...to have to deal with...:hugs:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I need to. I don't stand on ceremony. The snakes can't get too cold so I put it on a bit earlier than I would if I didn't have snakes. Someday I'll get them fancy enclosures with heating tiles and then the temp outside the enclosure won't matter, but for now I have to keep the house temp no lower than 64.

The weather around here is unpredictable so it's not unusual for the AC to be on one day and the heat on the next, and then the AC on again 3 days later, and so on. September and October can be very interesting around here ;).
whenever you need to!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is usually somewhere around Thanksgiving. The temp is a beautiful 40, nice and cool, but not cold. Then two days later it's 20, so it goes on.

<snip>
somewhere around Thanksgiving!!! :clap: most excellent!! :agree:

that's a very distinct drop in temperature you get there!! :jawdrop:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends. Some years it gets cold enough to turn it on in January-February but usually only at night and not all month. Just here and there. Some years I don't turn it on at all. I will just snuggle up with an electric blanket- and the cats of course.
ahhh, sunny Florida!!! :cloud9: not necessarily any heat needed during the cooler weather months!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also still using the air conditioning here in NC! It's been so humid & wet this summer, I am beyond ready for fall!!
It varies here. Usually sometime in October. It's only been getting down in the lower 70's, but looking at the weather looks like this week the lows will finally be getting down to the 60's. It's 86 here now on Labor day.
usually sometime in October!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :agree:

have you had a hotter than normal summer there, about normal, or not quite as hot this year? just curious, as it's definitely been much cooler than normal up here this summer.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the outside temp, and how cold I feel. I have decided not be be cold. It seems defeat the purpose of living.. I keep the AC on, when I physically need it...

The heat is put on when I am cold. While I try to wait..and put layers on; it does not aways work...I put the heat on, when my finders and toes are cold--when I have sweatshirt, leggings, socks and are still cold.....
depends on the outside temp and how cold you feel!!! :clap: excellent!! :)

it does seem to defeat the purpose of living! :agree:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely during the evening in July, but the rest just depends on when it's needed. But I'm in a sub-tropical part of Australia. :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only just packed my electric fans away. I'm hoping to have a whole month before I have to get the heaters out of storage. Trying to resist turning on the heat until October 1st.
trying to wait until October 1st!!! :clap: most excellent!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's a great shame having to close the windows because of the cold. Our cats love getting to sniff the outside air, especially at night, and we get quite a bit of urban wildlife around to entertain them. However, lately we've been getting a skunk visiting and making himself known around 3am!! Definitely regret open windows when that happens! :lol3:
oh my!!! a skunk!! :jawdrop:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Well if I was the only one in the house-I would never put it on. I like it COLD. Mr. Jon likes it HOT. In the winter when I am at work he cranks it at 73, yuck. In the summer he shuts the AC off and it's 80 in the house. YUCK.

I try to hold off until November but last year we had it on in October. One year we had snow on Halloween.

Last weekend or week ago we ran it for a bit-it was cold and damp rainy-

Once I get the office transferred into a bedroom I can keep the door closed and the vents closed so it doesn't get heat and crack the window. I am like my mother-I like it cold when I sleep. I love thick fluffy comforters but right now still too hot at night for more than a sheet. Of course if I keep it cold Honeybee sleeps on me and that's the best!!

I grew up in a house without heat except for the woodstove so it never bothered me to be cold in the morning. I remember waking up and seeing my breath in the air...we lived in an old farmhouse build in 1872.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well if I was the only one in the house-I would never put it on. I like it COLD. Mr. Jon likes it HOT. In the winter when I am at work he cranks it at 73, yuck. In the summer he shuts the AC off and it's 80 in the house. YUCK.

I try to hold off until November but last year we had it on in October. One year we had snow on Halloween.

Once I get the office transferred into a bedroom I can keep the door closed and the vents closed so it doesn't get heat and crack the window. I am like my mother-I like it cold when I sleep. I love thick fluffy comforters but right now still too hot at night for more than a sheet. Of course if I keep it cold Honeybee sleeps on me and that's the best!!

I grew up in a house without heat except for the woodstove so it never bothered me to be cold in the morning. I remember waking up and seeing my breath in the air...we lived in an old farmhouse build in 1872.
Oh, you would love it here! There are 3 months of the year when I get up in the morning and find the cat's indoor water bowls frozen with about 1 cm of ice on the top.

:lol:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

you try to hold off until November!!! :thumbsup: that's great!! :)

i love the fresh air when i'm sleeping. but with Raynaud's, i chill, get cold, feel frigid so very easily. heck, i've woken up from dreams where i'm in the cold (like winter), and i'm seriously shivering......in the middle of the summer.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to look up Raynaud's. I wonder if Jon has this-he wears slippers to bed because his feet turn cold and blue=I often massage and manipulate them to keep the blood flowing in them-the web MD didn't really have any details on how to treat it-but as long as I have known him-he's always had issues with cold air-that could explain why he likes it so warm in the house...looks like this winter I will be running around in shorts so he's more comfortable.

I didn't realize how the cold affects other people-guess I am a polar bear..he calls me a heater because I am constantly complaining of being too hot. I don't like summer..anything over 75 and I am sweating like crazy....thanks for this info-this helps me to better understand my honey and try to keep him comfortable-because he's so quiet and doesn't tell me when he's uncomfortable...kind of like a cat....hmmm.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have Raynauds also. It really stinks.. my fingers and toes are usually cold.

I remember, once, about 15 years ago, I was shoveling snow during a storm. It had snowed and then turned to rain, so it was really slush that I was shoveling. I came into the house, because my fingers were tingling so bad. My gloves got wet, making my fingers, hands colder.. I had to run my hands under warm water, faucet, because they were actually white/turning blueish.. When they warmed up, the fingers and palm turned bright red...

I get cold easily.. and then warm up, and get hot.. almost like hot flashes. I am always wearing socks in the house; barefoot, but with socks..

I actually feel best when the inside temp is at 72-73 degrees, year round.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to look up Raynaud's. I wonder if Jon has this-he wears slippers to bed because his feet turn cold and blue=I often massage and manipulate them to keep the blood flowing in them-the web MD didn't really have any details on how to treat it-but as long as I have known him-he's always had issues with cold air-that could explain why he likes it so warm in the house...looks like this winter I will be running around in shorts so he's more comfortable.

I didn't realize how the cold affects other people-guess I am a polar bear..he calls me a heater because I am constantly complaining of being too hot. I don't like summer..anything over 75 and I am sweating like crazy....thanks for this info-this helps me to better understand my honey and try to keep him comfortable-because he's so quiet and doesn't tell me when he's uncomfortable...kind of like a cat....hmmm.
here's one way to get an idea whether your Jon might have Raynaud's. have him put his hand in a freezer with the door ajar for several minutes. then take that hand out and look at the finger nails...are they white or white and blue-ish like at the part of the fingernail nearest the first joint of the fingers? that's something that the doctor who first diagnosed me with Raynaud's had me do, in my case to demonstrate to her assistant a good example of Raynaud's. i was told back then that my reaction to cold was unusually marked. and that would also explain why your Jon doesn't do well with the air conditioning being on. i have my window ac upstairs, and let the coolness trickle downstairs, during the hot weather months. i can't have the ac on in the same room as me, or have it get too cool -- even on days of over 90 degrees F. and poor blood circulation (possibly just to the extremities, like hands and feet) is another symptom that some/many with Raynaud's experience.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have Raynauds also. It really stinks.. my fingers and toes are usually cold.

I remember, once, about 15 years ago, I was shoveling snow during a storm. It had snowed and then turned to rain, so it was really slush that I was shoveling. I came into the house, because my fingers were tingling so bad. My gloves got wet, making my fingers, hands colder.. I had to run my hands under warm water, faucet, because they were actually white/turning blueish.. When they warmed up, the fingers and palm turned bright red...

I get cold easily.. and then warm up, and get hot.. almost like hot flashes. I am always wearing socks in the house; barefoot, but with socks..

I actually feel best when the inside temp is at 72-73 degrees, year round.
i've had that happen too! and my fingers swelled up, they felt like sausages and hot/burning sensation.

i'm most comfortable at 78-82 degrees.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this info-definitely going to try this. I am sure his fingers probably turn white..I know in the winter shoveling he prefers mittens and finding size 2X mittens for men are IMPOSSIBLE.. he's got huge hands and most stores only carry large which we end up stretching out. He seemed ok last night-he didn't wear the slippers but the window was closed. This is something that seems to help make sense...