Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 3, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer was on a Thursday this year here in western New York. We had nights in the 40s (around eight degrees on that funny thermometer, or about 280 Kelvin) at the end of August, and the pool heater's been on just about ever since that stupid eclipse ruined the sun. The forecast suggests that it's only a matter of time before we have that hard water problem again (it's far less a problem in a glass of Scotch, but the silly twits on the New York State Legislature have never even considered draining Lake Ontario and replacing the water with Scotch), and besides that, my Snowshoe would just set the thermostat herself, so... well...

*sigh*

Yeah, yeah... August.

If any of you people out in Arizona answer this question, I'll just scream.
definitely a cool summer here in New York this year! :agree: and nights in the 40's in August is simply bizarre.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about turning it on yesterday! And then I thought about putting the electric blanket on the bed! I did neither. Yesterday was chilly and last night we had the windows closed. I just looked at TWC at our local ten-day forecast; after Monday, our lows will hang right around the 50s and some nights we'll be in the 40s. I may be putting the flannels on the bed next weekend.

As a rule, we don't turn the house heat on until we close the pool. In the spring, we don't open the pool until we've turned the house heat off. We have electric heat and I guess we feel that turning the heat off balances using the pool pump and vice versa. We'll be closing the pool, probably next weekend, depending on how things go.

I'd say usually sometime around the beginning of October, the house heat comes on. Rick goes around the house, taking the registers apart (fur, pet toys) and I'll give them a good cleaning. Then he'll put them back together and we'll turn the thermostats on. The electric blanket will go on the bed sooner than October, though, I'm sure.
sometime around the beginning of October, and flannels may be put on the bed next weekend!!! :thumbsup: that sounds great!

i'm thinking to add a quilt on top of the blanket on my bed, possibly tomorrow. i've got the two new duvets covers and shams to run through the washer/dryer (still), and might very well do that tonight -- so'd be able to use one duvet cover for the quilt tomorrow. i've already been using the heated mattress pad, most nights through this summer.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm stubborn when it comes to turning on the heat, i.e. I try to hold out as long as possible even if it means several layers of clothing. :wink: But usually by late October or early November I have to give in and turn the heat on.
usually late October or early November!!! :clap: most excellent!!

i try to cut down on heating costs too. i use the wood stove to help avoid the heat coming on during the winter, and especially in the fall months to delay the need for any furnace use as long as possible.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also still using the air conditioning here in NC! It's been so humid & wet this summer, I am beyond ready for fall!!
It varies here. Usually sometime in October. It's only been getting down in the lower 70's, but looking at the weather looks like this week the lows will finally be getting down to the 60's. It's 86 here now on Labor day.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also still using the air conditioning here in NC! It's been so humid & wet this summer, I am beyond ready for fall!!
It varies here. Usually sometime in October. It's only been getting down in the lower 70's, but looking at the weather looks like this week the lows will finally be getting down to the 60's. It's 86 here now on Labor day.
I sure understand that. We use the A/C an average of 9-10 months out of the year. For me, it's a good day if I can turn the A/C off! There is no such thing as fall here. It goes from brutally hot to what we call cold right back to hot again.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the outside temp, and how cold I feel. I have decided not be be cold. It seems defeat the purpose of living.. I keep the AC on, when I physically need it...

The heat is put on when I am cold. While I try to wait..and put layers on; it does not aways work...I put the heat on, when my finders and toes are cold--when I have sweatshirt, leggings, socks and are still cold.....

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've only just packed my electric fans away. I'm hoping to have a whole month before I have to get the heaters out of storage. Trying to resist turning on the heat until October 1st.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with neely. I resist as long as I can. If I get chilly, I grab a cat. The part of Wales I live is more rain than frost, very little snow but I usually have the heating on about November. I'm just an old skinflint
you resist as long as you can, and the heating is on about November!!! :thumbsup: that sounds great!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually hold off until later September, but it felt so cold here yesterday morning I kicked it in for a bit to get the chill out of the air....Now today it's supposed to get into the 80s again so hopefully can leave off again for awhile.....
usually late September!!! :clap: very nice!!

yup, that's why i've had my wood stove going for a bit, three times so far -- just to get the chill out of my house. and it was quite nice and warm outdoors today here too, but now it's rainy and cool. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We hold out as long as we can, usually October. This year will probably be the end of September though. It's been nippy at night! Now I have to think about bringing my plants in.
you hold out as long as you can!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!!

the end of September sounds good for this year! :agree: i used my wood burning stove at the end of August this year! yes, it's been quite nippy at night already.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually October for me as well.

And as several have said, the nights have been going quite low, 46 F! Yesterday morning I realized the heat came on! It was set for 65, so I bumped it down to 51 and hold.

I have finally had to close some of the windows completely, and the others are just a 2 inch gap. They've been full open around the clock for almost a week which was lovely - no heat and no a/c, just fresh air! The kitties loved it, sitting in the window up against the screen, watching and listening to all the critters, lol.
October!!! :clap: great!!

wow! your furnace cycled on even! that does sound lovely, having your windows open like that. :agree: happy kitties too!! mine love having the windows open, and prefer the nights when it's cool and critters are out moving around.:cutecat:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that does sound lovely, having your windows open like that. :agree: happy kitties too!! mine love having the windows open, and prefer the nights when it's cool and critters are out moving around.:cutecat:
Yes, it's a great shame having to close the windows because of the cold. Our cats love getting to sniff the outside air, especially at night, and we get quite a bit of urban wildlife around to entertain them. However, lately we've been getting a skunk visiting and making himself known around 3am!! Definitely regret open windows when that happens! :lol3:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It tends to vary every year. The first year at my current place I didn't need to turn the heat on until mid-December. I think last season I turned the heat on in November. Whenever the thermostat drops to 65F is when I turn the heat on. The heat gets turned off sometime between early and mid March. Usually the heat stops turning on around then anyways because it's fairly warm inside so I just turn off the entire heat system.
ahhh, whenever the thermostat drops to 65 degrees F!!! :thumbsup: very nice!!

here, we had an unusually mild fall/early winter last year. even winter wasn't that bad. it's been three years of not too bad winters here, so i'm bracing myself for a frigid winter and lots of snow. maybe that won't happen this year, but we're due for it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're still using the air conditioning here, although it is somewhat less hot than usual for this time of year. It's starting to feel like early Fall already. We typically turn on the heat sometime in October.
sometime in October!!! :clap: that sounds great!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It varies for me, too. I'm allergic to cool temps, so I'm no skinflint about turning it on. It's been a cool summer for us, and this week the night temps have been quite cool - high 50s F. I put on my winter pjs a couple of nights ago, but haven't added a blanket to the bedding or turned the heat on yet. It's still in the 70s F during the day. But the time is getting closer all the time. I imagine the furnace will come on in a couple of weeks. Yikes! That means it's due for a preseason cleaning!
it varies for you!!! :thumbsup: very nice! 'allergic to cool temps' -- that's a really good way of putting it!! :agree: i always say that our DeeDee :bigeyes: and i are 'heat seekers' -- we just soak up warmth 24/7 and 365 days a year.

i sure hope you're feeling warmer at night with your winter pj's on now! i put a quilt over my blanket just a few days ago -- now i'm feeling quite cozy and warm at night. :cloud9: this year i bought a couple duvet covers, to use over my quilt and my comforter. i believe the duvet cover over my quilt is somehow providing extra warm-ability.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually sometime in late September. However that fluctuates since the climate is unpredictable now. Yesterday, I seriously considered putting it on as I am today. It's raining, cool and damp and my feet are freezing. Instead I'm going to put on a pair of socks :lol:
usually in late September!!! :clap: most excellent!! :)

the climate certainly has been very unpredictable this year! damp, rainy always makes me feel cold.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We go by inside temperature. So if it gets below 70 in here; it goes on. We've pretty much always been this way; but more so since having kids. We've had a few cool days recently but the house itself has stayed comfortable because I didn't open the windows. I might do that today though since its nicer today.

I don't like it to get below 68. Everyone has robes, hoodies and slippers to wear if they are chilly. I'm also in the middle of making the kids new fleece blankets. :cloud9:
when the inside temperature gets below 70!!! :thumbsup: great!!

those fleece blankets you're making for your kids sound wonderful!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't run it at all last year because the heat leaking from my neighbors (I live in an apartment) kept my apartment at least 63 which is comfortable enough for me. Sponging off my neighbors brings me monthly emailed kudos from the power company which change to horrified shrieks when summer comes around and the a/c goes on.
no need to run your furnace last year!!! :cloud9: excellent!! :)

years ago i lived in an apartment building. i chose the top/3rd floor because i knew that the heat from other apartments would rise. it was toasty warm all winter long for me......:redheartpump:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it varies for you!!! :thumbsup: very nice! 'allergic to cool temps' -- that's a really good way of putting it!! :agree:
I meant that literally. I sneeze, my nose runs, and if not warmed, it progresses to something like a cold. But it isn't, because if I take a Claritin, it all goes away. I used to work in an office where someone insisted on keeping the thermostat at 65 degrees F. I was miserable, wore a sweater, kept a lap robe on my lap, and was drugged up with antihistamines all day.