Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 24, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I say YUCK?! it smells sour to me-no matter the date. I never tried fresh milk-that's going on my bucket list. I bet I will like it. There's a brand of milk in our soda machine that has no lactose in it-it actually tastes really good and I don't get an upset stomach from it. Unfortunately I don't recall the brand- it has more protein than regular milk and 30% calcium per serving..

My mom said I threw up a lot as a baby when she tried to make me formula. So guess that means I am allergic to it? In school that's all they had for our lunches-we didn't have bottled water then...I hated milk so much I would just wait to go by the bubbler and drink like a nut. I can't have soy milk due to issues-I don't care for other non dairy milk but to cook with it is fine-I don't usually drink anything other than Orange juice. And if I do have milk-I find whole milk tastes best and sometimes have to be in the mood for chocolate milk. Now vanilla shakes/ice cream is fine...but milk by itself? naww.. I will pass.
I found out the brand of that lactose free milk is "YUP". it's really good. I just bought 4 bottles out of the machine. I drink 2 a day.
YUP brand lactose free milk!!! :thumbsup: that sounds great!! :agree:

mmmm......vanilla shakes and ice cream! :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silk makes a coconut/almond milk blend that is delicious. They have both sweetened and unsweetened. I have tried the unsweetened and it's great. It's not overly coconut-ty or almond-y. The balance of flavor is just right. It's creamy and yummy. It's also fabulous with chocolate syrup added!

View attachment 197448
hmmm......coconut/almond milk blend! :think: that really sounds like it would taste quite good!! of course, it definitely influences me, that i absolutely adore coconut/coconut milk. i actually add small amounts of the leftover from a can of coconut milk (i add some to my banana bread when i'm baking some, instead of regular milk) to my breakfast cereal, along with some whole milk -- that tastes really very good. :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whole milk. The brand I buy is a locally made one with Jersey cow milk, not the typical Holstein cow milk of mass marketed brands.
I :redheartpump: Jersey cows, especially the heifers with the huge eyes :biggrin: I worked with them and other livestock in college. There's a farm near college that produces their own Jersey cow milk and ice cream :yummy::yummy:
that's sounds heavenly to me! :cloud9::thud:

whole milk, and a locally made brand with Jersey cow milk!!! :clap: really great!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a dairy in Dayton Oh that has a herd of Jersey cattle. They make their own ice cream and have a scoop shop. They also make their own cheese. It's a fun place for the kids because they also have a petting zoo.
that sounds wonderful!! :agree: they make their own ice cream and have a scoop shop, as well as make their own cheese!!! oh my! i sure wish there was a place like that around here.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like milk on things and in things, although I don't enjoy drinking a glass of it unless it is VERY VERY cold and there is a piece of chocolate cake or a cookie involved.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whole or 2%. I really favour the more 'creamier' taste :cool2:

And best with something sweet, like chocolate or cookies, or simply by itself. Not crazy about it with an actual meal, and for some reason I can feel woozy with the combo, especially if I drink the milk too fast.

A particular fave too is Strawberry milk, although I may also enjoy dark chocolate or maple syrup.

REALLY disliked almond and soy milk :barfgreen:
whole or 2% milk!!! :thumbsup: really very nice!! yes, i like the 'creamier' taste too! :agree:

ahhh, with something sweet... :yummy: i love strawberry milk too! i keep a canister of Nesquik Strawberry on hand at all times. i also really like the Nesquik banana flavor, but it's hard to find and can cost more :nono: .

just based on my (limited) experience with soy milk -- the flavor can be very different, with different brands. and for me, vanilla flavored tastes much, much better than plain soy milk. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually drink plain milk. I don't really dislike it (except skim, ugh), but I don't drink enough to buy a quart and the little single-serve packs are too expensive. I do like to have half-and-half or cream in my coffee, and I like cheese and other milk-related products. I do get almond or coconut milk occasionally, but I still don't drink enough so it goes bad if I don't make a specific effort to drink it.
i can understand that!! :agree: i freeze most of my milk, as it's just me and i won't buy the (higher priced) containers smaller than gallon sized. still, even freezing it, milk only retains it's......combined liquid state (?) for about a month or so. after that it starts to...separate, but can still be shaken up to combine and still tastes fine.

ahhh, yes! half and half!! and you like cheese and other dairy products!!! :clap: most excellent!! :)

and almond or coconut milk occasionally! great!! :D ... :think:...it may not be exactly the same as in bottles-type, but i buy the cans of coconut milk (like Goya brand, something like 14 ounces size). that seems like a reasonable size, for me at least, to be able to finish off.

it can be a challenge, for one person to drink enough milk or soy/almond/coconut milk before it goes bad.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really care for milk all that much, but I do like dairy products like yogurt or cream.
you're not a big fan of milk, but do like other dairy products, like yogurt and cream!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :)

i absolutely adore yogurt! i could happily eat it every day, and more than once a day too! :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like skim milk, but I'm supposed to limit my dairy so I use almond milk for most things.
you like skim milk, but use almond milk for most things!!! :clap: i think that's a great choice! :agree:

i've never tried almond milk, and i think it can't taste bad, coming from almonds. :think:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Eewww, milk. dramatic-death.gif

:lol: Hate the stuff. I drink almond milk, unsweetened vanilla, any brand, for coffee and on cereal. I do like other dairy products, though--I love Greek yogurt and all kinds of cheese. Just can't tolerate milk.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eewww, milk. View attachment 197946

:lol: Hate the stuff. I drink almond milk, unsweetened vanilla, any brand, for coffee and on cereal. I do like other dairy products, though--I love Greek yogurt and all kinds of cheese. Just can't tolerate milk.
:lol:......no milk for you!!! :thumbsup: but you love Greek yogurt and all kinds of cheese. very nice!! :)

ahhh, almond milk!! and unsweetened vanilla flavored...:yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like milk on things and in things, although I don't enjoy drinking a glass of it unless it is VERY VERY cold and there is a piece of chocolate cake or a cookie involved.
you like milk on and in things, and only drink a glass of it if it's 'ice' cold, especially with a piece of chocolate cake or a cookie!!! :clap: most excellent!!

there's something just...perfect about milk with desserts, especially cookies and cakes. :cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE milk. To me, it is a necessity like water. My favorite is 1%. My father did dairy farm work and loved cows and I think that has something to do with it. Also, I was studying dietetics in college and remember a Nutrition Doctor speaking about milk being closest to the perfect food. That talk always stuck with me. I have a glass in the morning before jumping in the car and that is all I need to keep my blood sugar steady until noon.

When I am ill or shaky, milk is what soothes me. I will spend a little more for milk that has roots closest to where I live. I have seen many dairies close around here over the years. I remember when our milk was delivered fresh in glass bottles to our home. My mother even kept powdered milk on hand in case of emergency. I can't imagine being without water, coffee or MILK!
:yeah: yes!! i totally agree!

your favorite is 1% milk!!! :clap: great!! :)

milk is soothing! it's a comfort food to me.

i keep non-fat dry (powdered) milk on hand. mostly, i use it in recipes, but i always have some on hand. :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like any brand of unsweetened almond, coconut, or almond coconut milk. I tried soy milk but didn't like the taste. A friend told me she makes her own coconut milk with canned coconut milk, water and coconut cream. Less expensive than in the cartons in the store. I think I'll try it.
any brand of unsweetened almond, coconut, or almond milk -- and no to soy milk!!! :clap: most excellent!! :agree:

wow! that sounds great, to make your own coconut milk! :think:...i may just have to try that too! thank you for mentioning that...:D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milk was in gallon glass bottles that had a pleated cap on the top. Under that was a sort of heavy paper plug with a little tab on it that had to be removed each time the bottle was opened. It was frustrating when one of those plugs disintegrated or the little tab came off.

Do you remember the beautiful jewel-tone aluminum drinking glasses that were filled with cottage cheese? Our milkman would even provide a specific color so we could have a whole set. I don't know it there are any of those left from my late mom's stuff or not. The milkman would deliver the milk and other dairy products to the back door or even come into the house and put it in the icebox (sic).

I just did a search and there are still some dairies that home-deliver. I'll bet it still isn't the same, though.
i don't remember if our milkman brought cottage cheese to us, i was quite young still when the home delivery stopped where i lived. hmmmm......jewel-tone aluminum drinking glasses. :think: those sound like they'd be really nice, and remind me of the little jars of Welch's grape jelly -- the kind that had cartoon characters on them, that were to be used as drinking glasses after we finished the jelly.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the jars of Welch jelly with the cartoons on them. They were nice glasses. I was in the grocery store yesterday and saw some small cheese jars that could be used for glasses when they were empty. We used them for juice glasses. I didn't realize they still made those.

Muffy

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the jars of Welch jelly with the cartoons on them. They were nice glasses. I was in the grocery store yesterday and saw some small cheese jars that could be used for glasses when they were empty. We used them for juice glasses. I didn't realize they still made those.

Muffy
i think i actually have one of the Welch's jelly jars/glasses, from my childhood. yes, they're pretty nice glasses, and tend to not break so easily too.

wow, that's great that some companies are selling their products in jars that can be used for glasses when they're empty! :thumbsup: i really like the idea -- you get a little something extra for the money.