Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 24, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

while having a bowl of cornflakes with milk just a short while ago, i got to thinking about milk.

so for today's Question of the Day......

Do you like milk? and if so, What kind do you like (ie, whole milk, 2%, 1%, skim)?

and for those who are lactose-intolerant, or prefer soy or almond type milks -- What is your favorite type and brand?

i'll start!

i really like milk, which goes along with me liking pretty much all dairy products. :yummy: i also enjoy soy milk, though i prefer the vanilla flavored ones. :D

i can handle 2% milk, but i don't seek that out. i much prefer whole milk! :cloud9:

how about you?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No. I drink skim milk because I refuse to make my oatmeal with water. That's the only time. As for whole milk, nope, not going there.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
No, never cared for milk.. I guess I knew my body when I was a child. I cannot tolerate milk. Currently I use Almond Mild, unsweetened, plain..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink whole or skim milk, but not a lot. What I prefer is nonhomogenized whole milk in a glass bottle.
:cloud9:

whole or skim milk!!! :clap2: interesting, that you like kind of the 'extremes' of milk.

i don't drink milk very often either, just use it in recipes and with hot or cold cereals. :agree:

Last edited:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It has to be whole milk. The other stuff tastes like cloudy water. I've had milk directly from the cow and it tastes very, very different from the stuff we get at the grocery store. When I was growing up, there was always a clot of cream at the top of the glass milk bottle. I considered it a treat and tried to get it before my mom put it in her coffee. She usually let me have it.

When I was small I would get stomach cramps in the spring. We finally discovered it was a spring grass the cows were eating. The rest of the year was fine. Fortunately, I outgrew the allergy.

Nothing goes better with a piece of chocolate cake than a big glass of very cold milk.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NEVER liked milk, even as a kid I had to have it chocolate. If I HAD to drink it, it would be half and half, now that is tasty, an I use that on my oatmeal,but I would weigh 600lbs. I eat a lot of cheese, and I do like ice cream!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am another one that never cared for milk though I do like all other dairy products. I was taking calcium supplements as a child because I would drink so little milk. I have started making a meal replacement shake most mornings but that is about it for me and drinking milk. I do put a little milk in my coffee, I don't care for the powdered creamers or actual cream in my coffee, I prefer milk. I get 1% milk. I don't like skim milk in my coffee it has to be at least 1%.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never liked the taste of plain milk. It just makes me gag. My mom said I've been like that since I was a toddler.

However, I'm totally A-OK with milk as long as it's mixed in with something to disguise the taste, e.g., chocolate milk, smoothies, etc. Just not in my coffee. I use butter for that. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Growing up in the midwest most of our meals included a glass or two of whole milk. As a young adult I started drinking 2% milk but now I enjoy unsweetened almond milk. I'm picky about the brand and have a particular favorite. Even my husband has acquired a taste for almond milk. :)

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Growing up, whole milk, at least 1/2 gallon daily. LOVE IT.
Now, I buy Lactaid Fat Free, but only have it in my morning coffee; dairy products increase inflammation and my body is full of arthritis. Sigh. Still, my morning drink is milk with a bit of coffee in it lol.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like whole milk. Can't stand the dishwater.

I have to have milk with cookies or cake, but I don't drink it with meals. Sometimes with cereal, but I don't eat cereal often.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has to be whole milk. The other stuff tastes like cloudy water. I've had milk directly from the cow and it tastes very, very different from the stuff we get at the grocery store. When I was growing up, there was always a clot of cream at the top of the glass milk bottle. I considered it a treat and tried to get it before my mom put it in her coffee. She usually let me have it.

When I was small I would get stomach cramps in the spring. We finally discovered it was a spring grass the cows were eating. The rest of the year was fine. Fortunately, I outgrew the allergy.

Nothing goes better with a piece of chocolate cake than a big glass of very cold milk.
Yeah. I'm with you. Skim milk is nasty. Cloudy water sums it up pretty well. I don't drink a lot of milk but when I do it's whole milk. I could deal with 2% in a pinch but nothing less. When I was a kid, we had to drink skim milk and it was the powdered stuff mixed with water. SO. SO. GROSS. :running::barfgreen:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Can I say YUCK?! it smells sour to me-no matter the date. I never tried fresh milk-that's going on my bucket list. I bet I will like it. There's a brand of milk in our soda machine that has no lactose in it-it actually tastes really good and I don't get an upset stomach from it. Unfortunately I don't recall the brand- it has more protein than regular milk and 30% calcium per serving..

My mom said I threw up a lot as a baby when she tried to make me formula. So guess that means I am allergic to it? In school that's all they had for our lunches-we didn't have bottled water then...I hated milk so much I would just wait to go by the bubbler and drink like a nut. I can't have soy milk due to issues-I don't care for other non dairy milk but to cook with it is fine-I don't usually drink anything other than Orange juice. And if I do have milk-I find whole milk tastes best and sometimes have to be in the mood for chocolate milk. Now vanilla shakes/ice cream is fine...but milk by itself? naww.. I will pass.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can I say YUCK?! it smells sour to me-no matter the date. I never tried fresh milk-that's going on my bucket list. I bet I will like it. There's a brand of milk in our soda machine that has no lactose in it-it actually tastes really good and I don't get an upset stomach from it. Unfortunately I don't recall the brand- it has more protein than regular milk and 30% calcium per serving..

My mom said I threw up a lot as a baby when she tried to make me formula. So guess that means I am allergic to it? In school that's all they had for our lunches-we didn't have bottled water then...I hated milk so much I would just wait to go by the bubbler and drink like a nut. I can't have soy milk due to issues-I don't care for other non dairy milk but to cook with it is fine-I don't usually drink anything other than Orange juice. And if I do have milk-I find whole milk tastes best and sometimes have to be in the mood for chocolate milk. Now vanilla shakes/ice cream is fine...but milk by itself? naww.. I will pass.
Silk makes a coconut/almond milk blend that is delicious. They have both sweetened and unsweetened. I have tried the unsweetened and it's great. It's not overly coconut-ty or almond-y. The balance of flavor is just right. It's creamy and yummy. It's also fabulous with chocolate syrup added!

upload_2017-9-24_17-56-0.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whole milk. The brand I buy is a locally made one with Jersey cow milk, not the typical Holstein cow milk of mass marketed brands.