Question Of The Day, Sunday, October 8, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

lately i've been thinking about the old tv shows, the ones i grew up watching. everything from cartoons, when i was really young, to sitcoms and mystery/crime drama shows.

so for today's Question of the Day, let's talk about the tv shows we grew up watching!

What were some of your favorite tv shows, when you were growing up? and, feel free to share about any other tv shows you remember!

i'll start!

the two tv shows that come to mind for me are I Love Lucy, and The Dick Van Dyke Show. of the two, i think The Dick Van Dyke Show was my favorite. just a really funny show! Dick Van Dyke is such a good actor, and Mary Tyler Moore was great in the show. but i think my favorite character was Buddy Sorrell (played by Morey Amsterdam). i especially enjoyed Buddy's interactions with Mel Cooley. :crackup:

years ago, i was talking with a friend, and i don't remember how but the conversation turned to something, which reminded me of an episode of I Love Lucy. i mentioned the episode, and we ended up remembering together quite a few of the 'classic' I Love Lucy episodes. i loved that show! :redheartpump:

i also loved the mystery shows trio thing, the one that alternated between Columbo, McMillan and Wife, and McCloud....The NBC Mystery Movie.

another favorite tv show was Scooby Doo, Where Are You?, which i really enjoyed.

i also enjoyed watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, and The Odd Couple. another show i really liked was Time Tunnel, though i came across it as an adult.

how about you?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You left out Sally Rogers played by Rose Marie. She had a cat on the show.

Burns and Allen, The Real McCoys, Leave It To Beaver, Honeymooners, Lassie, All in the Family, Maude, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Smothers Brothers, Golden Girls, Mary Tyler Moore, Seinfield and Frasier are just some of my favorites. I'm sure I will think of more.

Muffy

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, so many of those old shows: Bewitched, Leave it to Beaver, Petticoat Junction, Dick van Dyke, the old Star Trek, the Monkees (yepper, I watched the Monkees!), Peyton Place (I used to watch it with my grandmother, along with Perry Mason), Ed Sullivan (and his reeeeeellly big show), love Bob Newhart, Ozzie and Harriet, Father Knows Best, Make Room for Daddy, Dobie Gillis. Some of those shows used to be on Nick at Nite when the channel first started.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Oh gosh, so many of those old shows: Bewitched, Leave it to Beaver
Two of my personal favorites, Bewitched and Leave it to Beaver. :thumbsup: I still watch them on TV Land and remember many of the episodes. I also enjoyed The Addams Family, My Three Sons, Mister Ed, The Donna Reed Show, My Favorite Martian and, last but not least, Candid Camera.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I lived out in the boonies so we only reliably got one channel and usually a second channel and that was with a really tall antennae outside. I remember a lot of them though. I liked most of them that have been mentioned already. It was such an innocent time. I know bad things happened then but we didn't have the 24/7 cable news and the internet. We only knew about the very occasional bad thing that happened in our area. I think my favorite one was the Lucy show where she worked for Mr Mooney.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my... so many shows of my childhood... wow.. hard to pick a few:

Bewitched, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke Show, The original Star Trek, remember Dr Kildare????, My Favorite Martian, MASH (later), The Fugitive,
Yes, micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom The Time Tunnel (forgot about that)..
Quantum Leap (later)
Yes, and the was it Wednesday Night Murder Mysteries: Columbo, McMillan & Wife, McCloud.
and of course, Winchester Winchester , Make Room for Daddy

Those were great shows.. most of them produced by Sheldon Leonard, I think..

All of the ones mentioned by everyone, are classics...

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll go waay back to the Lone Ranger, Lassie. I never cared much for Roy Rogers. Why send Nellybelle (the Jeep) to town to meet the stage? Never made much sense to me. Also Ozzie and Harriet. And Disneyland. Who would dare miss Davy Crockett?

In teen years, there were Bonanza and Maverick. Loved Maverick. Then there was Perry Como and the Ed Sullivan show.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kimba, the White Lion
The Jetsons
The Flintstones
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
The Munsters

I could go on and on.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
First two shows I remember loving to watch in prime time as a kid was The Love Boat & Fantasy Island.

Saturday morning cartoons were the bomb... I preferred Looney Toons over Scooby Doo...

MASH I loved watching with my dad.

Bewitched, Gillian's Island, The Brady Bunch, The Jeffersons, Good Times, Alice (Mel's Diner), Bonanza, Three's Company, Charlie's Angels, Apt 227, The Cosby Show, 90210...

I'm sure there is more but that is what I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were so many. The Monkees (I had a thing for Mike Nesmith), Hogans Hero's, Thundercats (Hooo), Battlestar Galactica (the original with Richard Hatch), SWAT, WKRP, Night Court, Star Trek, The Big Valley, I am sure I forgot some.
And of course, in the '70's when it came to American TV---Doctor Who. I have been a whovian most my life. That's so sad. (maybe pathetic is a better word).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first TV show I remember watching was The New Zoo Review. Anyone remember that one?

My list also includes:

The Magic Garden (anyone remember Sherlock the squirrel and The Chuckle Patch?)
The Banana Splits
H.R Pufnstuf
Sigmond and the Sea Monster
Land of the Lost
The Dukes of Hazzard
The Monkees (yep- I watched them too. Still love that show. RIP Davey :sigh:)
Gumby (He was just a little green slab of clay...... GUMBY!) :jive:
Quantum Leap
MASH (still one of the greatest shows of all time)
Columbo (Peter Falk was brilliant in that)
The Golden Girls
Alice
Northern Exposure
The Honeymooners
All in the Family
The Jeffersons
Scooby Doo (pre- Scrappy Doo please :eviltongue:)
The Super Friends

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot about the Banana Splits and H.R. Pufnstuf.
I also remember watching the moon landing with my dad, but that wasn't really a TV show. It was just on TV.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a lot of the same favourites as others: Bewitched, Family Affair, Green Acres, Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, Batman. And later Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Love Boat, Charlie's Angels, Three's Company, Vegas, Columbo, McMillan & Wife, McCloud, American Bandstand. And then my soap operas: Another World & Edge of Night.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pardon me, 90's kid coming through!

- Wishbone
- Hey Arnold!
- Recess
- Arthur
- Frasier
- The Simpsons
- Daria
- The Magic School Bus
- Sabrina, The Teenage Witch
- Xena Warrior Princess
- Gundam Wing
- Escaflowne
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The Golden Girls
- Are You Afraid of the Dark?
- Goosebumps

Ah, good times :cool2: :cloud9:

Honourable mention: Star Trek: The Next Generation, would often watch it with my father.

Although I wasn't ardent fan or anything, I'd occasionally enjoy dabbling with the X-Files and the old Law and Order.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Love Boat and Fantasy Island were great! I also liked Sanford and Son, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, Roseanne, Married with Children and I LOVED Headbanger's Ball on MTV! :rockout:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You left out Sally Rogers played by Rose Marie. She had a cat on the show.

Burns and Allen, The Real McCoys, Leave It To Beaver, Honeymooners, Lassie, All in the Family, Maude, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Smothers Brothers, Golden Girls, Mary Tyler Moore, Seinfield and Frasier are just some of my favorites. I'm sure I will think of more.

Muffy
yes, i forgot to mention Sally, played by Rose Marie -- not mentioned, but certainly not forgotten!! :paperbag:

ahhh, the Honeymooners!!! :cloud9: that was a truly great show!! :agree: and All In The Family, and The Smothers Brothers! :thumbsup: most excellent tv shows!

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, so many of those old shows: Bewitched, Leave it to Beaver, Petticoat Junction, Dick van Dyke, the old Star Trek, the Monkees (yepper, I watched the Monkees!), Peyton Place (I used to watch it with my grandmother, along with Perry Mason), Ed Sullivan (and his reeeeeellly big show), love Bob Newhart, Ozzie and Harriet, Father Knows Best, Make Room for Daddy, Dobie Gillis. Some of those shows used to be on Nick at Nite when the channel first started.
wow! that's a very nice group of favorite old shows!!! :clap: i really enjoyed Bewitched, the old Star Trek, and the Monkees too! :D

oh, Perry Mason!!! :cloud9: that was a great tv show!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my personal favorites, Bewitched and Leave it to Beaver. :thumbsup: I still watch them on TV Land and remember many of the episodes. I also enjoyed The Addams Family, My Three Sons, Mister Ed, The Donna Reed Show, My Favorite Martian and, last but not least, Candid Camera.
ahhh, some great tv shows you mentioned!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :) The Addams Family, Mister Ed, and My Favorite Martian were ones i really liked too!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived out in the boonies so we only reliably got one channel and usually a second channel and that was with a really tall antennae outside. I remember a lot of them though. I liked most of them that have been mentioned already. It was such an innocent time. I know bad things happened then but we didn't have the 24/7 cable news and the internet. We only knew about the very occasional bad thing that happened in our area. I think my favorite one was the Lucy show where she worked for Mr Mooney.
that's so true!!! :agree:

i remember when i was in grade school, we got only two channels too. i lived in a rural area then too.

The Lucy Show
!!! :clap: that was another really funny show!! :lol: