Question of the Day, Sunday, October 23, 2016

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
New York style is floppy and you fold it, right? They sell big pieces like that at Costco
. Otherwise I don't think I've had any, even in New York, lol. We tried to find real New York pizza but only found a Sbarro's. . .which was exactly the same as the Sbarro's in Sioux Falls. But we were kind of short on time, so I'd like to go back someday and find a REAL New York pizza place. We also went to a pizza place in Rhode Island (the real kind with old (mafia?) guys folding boxes in the back room), but I was too young to notice differences in pizza at that point.

I definitely like it brown and toasted; when I make a frozen pizza I always "burn" it. But I've never been brave enough to ask a pizza place to burn it for me. . .I'll have to try it someday.

Domino's used to be terrible. Just yuck. We once ordered a pizza with black olives, and the olives tasted like bits of burned tires, seriously! Chewy and nasty tasting, I don't even know how they could ruin black olives. They're canned, how bad can they get? But Domino's has really improved in the last few years. Even the local place. Pizza Hut has gone downhill, though, imo. Except for the Garden Party pizza, that one's really good.
Yup. You fold it. It's so good. Real NY pizza will ruin you for all others. Pizza here in Florida is pretty dismal. 

I agree about Domino's. They used to be the bottom of the barrel but their newer pan pizza is pretty decent. Pizza Hut has been in a free fall for quite a while now. Their crust is horrid. I haven't had Little Caesar's in ages but a lot of people say that their newer deep dish is good. That and the pretzel crust one they had for a while. There is one just far enough from my house that it's too far to take a risk to see if it's edible.

I do miss Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza. DH and I used to get that sometimes in Colorado. They have a good variety and they make it fresh for you to take home and bake yourself.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Funny enough, I'm typing this as I'm eating my lunch, which happens to be NY pizza (my favorite topping is pepperoni or extra cheese) but I guess I'm pretty spoiled with my pizza since I live on Long Island right outside of NYC and the pizza places around here are pretty excellent.  That said, I still occasionally eat Dominos if I'm with friends and we have a late night craving-it's usually great post-drinking food lol.  Can't stand pizza hut though and I actually had Little Caesars for the first time recently and I found it to be pretty gross. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Love, love, love Pizza!!

Has to be a thinner crust. 

I can take plain; or topped with mushrooms;  or a Margarita one (fresh mozzarella and fresh basil) or even an eggplant one (not breaded eggplant, just plain slices on top).....
mmmmm!!! 

you know, maybe i'll grow a few basil plants next summer, in pots. buying a bunch of fresh basil at the grocery stores is kind of pricey. i could use my fresh grown basil to make pizza Margherita as well as make some fresh basil pesto...

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I like the thin crust pizza. The thinner the better. But just once I would love to try one of those deep dish pizza's they have in Chicago. I watch too many cooking shows. For toppings I like olives, onion and extra cheese.
sounds good! 

i've tried deep dish pizza's before, but never an authentic Chicago deep dish pizza. i think there's probably a difference between the authentic Chicago and 'imitators'. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll eat just about any pizza. I'm not too picky! But as for favorites. . .my most favorite is the Pizza Hut Garden Party pizza (actually, last time I ordered it I saw they changed the name, forget what it is now. But the one with spinach and balsamic drizzle on top). I like pepperoni and most veggies, not real fond of sausage or hamburger. I don't really like cooked green peppers, so if I have a choice I'll order with no green peppers. But I don't hate them so much that I'd refuse a pizza with them on it. I like fancy wood-fired Redrossa pizzas, the toppings don't seem to matter much, every one I've tried has been great.

What I like on a pizza, in general: sauce. Lots of sauce. Not too sweet, kind of tangy is nice. A moderate crust, not too crispy but not too chewy or soggy. Not too much cheese, but not too little either.

What I don't like, in general: sweet toppings. Greasy---crust or cheese. Gooey, stringy cheese.
that Pizza Hut Garden Party pizza sounds very interesting! 
  ......with spinach and balsamic drizzle on top!

yup, green peppers used to be fine with me, but as i've gotten older i've found that i really don't care for them. i do love red, orange, and yellow sweet bell peppers though -- very much. so i use those instead of the green bell peppers in recipes. i don't tolerate greasy things well any longer either.

i've actually never had a wood-fired pizza! 
  i'd really like to try one though.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pizza! As for crust, these days I am more into thin crust because it it's too thick I just won't eat it.

My absolute favorite pizza is from a local place it has artichoke hearts, pine nuts, pesto for sauce, mozzarella cheese and sundried tomatoes. So good!

And our local pizza ranch buffet has a chicken alfredo broccoli pizza that is amazing. And I do love Papa Murphy's every now and then. As for favorite toppings... well anything that isn't too spicy. I really like pizza with chicken.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We have fallen in love with sourdough crusts for our pizzas now. Rick prefers sausage and peppers on his pizza. I'm a mushroom fan. Not a lot of sauce. We both enjoy a sourdough crust with BBQ chicken and a good smoky provolone cheese and I make that for Rick's mom when she comes down for dinner. She just loves that pizza, too.

Actually, when it comes to pizza, there's not much we won't eat (other than anchovies and olives of any kind). The pizzeria at our local mall has a hoagie pizza with shredded lettuce, a bit of chopped ham, fresh chopped tomatoes, and shredded Parm and mozz. We get that often, each of us eats one slice.

When we grill, I'll make the shells ahead of time and stack them between oiled parchment. Then we'll throw the shells on the grill, one shell per person. A big bowl of pizza sauce. I always have a good assortment of toppings: turkey pepperoni, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions and peppers, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, chopped broccoli, browned sausage, chopped ham, pineapple chunks, etc. A good variety of cheeses. And then each person makes his or her own pizza on the grill.  
mmmmm......sourdough crust for pizza sounds like it would be incredibly tasty! 

your grilled pizzas must be so yummy! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Funny enough, I'm typing this as I'm eating my lunch, which happens to be NY pizza (my favorite topping is pepperoni or extra cheese) but I guess I'm pretty spoiled with my pizza since I live on Long Island right outside of NYC and the pizza places around here are pretty excellent.  That said, I still occasionally eat Dominos if I'm with friends and we have a late night craving-it's usually great post-drinking food lol.  Can't stand pizza hut though and I actually had Little Caesars for the first time recently and I found it to be pretty gross. 
ahhh, to live close to NYC, and be able to easily find authentic NY Style pizza! 
   yummm, pepperoni or extra cheese pizzas! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love pizza! As for crust, these days I am more into thin crust because it it's too thick I just won't eat it.

My absolute favorite pizza is from a local place it has artichoke hearts, pine nuts, pesto for sauce, mozzarella cheese and sundried tomatoes. So good!

And our local pizza ranch buffet has a chicken alfredo broccoli pizza that is amazing. And I do love Papa Murphy's every now and then. As for favorite toppings... well anything that isn't too spicy. I really like pizza with chicken.
oooooo!!! that pizza with artichoke hearts, pine nuts, pesto for sauce, mozzarella cheese and sundried tomatoes sounds really good! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

ahhh, to live close to NYC, and be able to easily find authentic NY Style pizza! 
   yummm, pepperoni or extra cheese pizzas! 
Yeah. I don't miss NY at all- but I do miss the food. The pizza and bagels are the best. I haven't had a good bagel in way too long. You can go to a deli or bagel shop and ask for a regular coffee and they know what you mean. No one else seems to. I miss delis too- and diners. We don't have those in Florida- not that I have ever seen. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah. I don't miss NY at all- but I do miss the food. The pizza and bagels are the best. I haven't had a good bagel in way too long. You can go to a deli or bagel shop and ask for a regular coffee and they know what you mean. No one else seems to. I miss delis too- and diners. We don't have those in Florida- not that I have ever seen. 
yes!!! NY bagels and deli's too!

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I suppose the excellent food here makes up for the expense of living here a little bit, lol.   Someone I know that formerly lived here that is currently up visiting for the week is making it his mission to hit as many delis, bagel places, pizza places and Chinese food places that he can while he's here!

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I suppose the excellent food here makes up for the expense of living here a little bit, lol.   Someone I know that formerly lived here that is currently up visiting for the week is making it his mission to hit as many delis, bagel places, pizza places and Chinese food places that he can while he's here!
i could easily see myself doing that too, if i were to visit the NYC area again! 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I may live in the 'burbs now but I'm definitely a Chicago girl - loves me some deep dish pizza! Prefer cheese, but also like green olives. I'm not a big red sauce fan though so you'll see me scraping that off (I know, I know... sacrilege!).

Not a huge fan of super-thin crust. A nice medium crust works for me when I'm not doing deep dish. Prefer Alfredo sauce to red sauce, by far. If I have red sauce, I prefer green olives. With Alfredo, I like spinach, mushrooms and feta.

I like to make my own pizza. When I do that, I get pre-made pizza dough (any kind, not picky), make my own alfredo sauce, and put fresh-cooked mushrooms and spinach on it. Yum!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may live in the 'burbs now but I'm definitely a Chicago girl - loves me some deep dish pizza! Prefer cheese, but also like green olives. I'm not a big red sauce fan though so you'll see me scraping that off (I know, I know... sacrilege!).

Not a huge fan of super-thin crust. A nice medium crust works for me when I'm not doing deep dish. Prefer Alfredo sauce to red sauce, by far. If I have red sauce, I prefer green olives. With Alfredo, I like spinach, mushrooms and feta.

I like to make my own pizza. When I do that, I get pre-made pizza dough (any kind, not picky), make my own alfredo sauce, and put fresh-cooked mushrooms and spinach on it. Yum!
...and you're having real Chicago deep dish pizza! i'm just sure there's got to be a difference between the real authentic and the 'imitators'.

ahhh, green olives! 
  i love green olives, as much as i dislike black olives (aka, 'washers').

that's very interesting......using alfredo sauce instead of red sauce!