Question of the Day, Sunday, October 23, 2016

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good afternoon! 

i've been thinking that it's time i bake a pizza. it's been quite a while since i've had any, and i do love pizza. 

so with pizza on my mind, for today's Question of the Day......

How do you like your pizza? Thin crust, regular crust, or deep dish style? What toppings do you like?

i'll start!

i prefer regular crust, and making the crust dough homemade. i like extra cheese, usually a mix of mozzarella and asiago, a decent amount of sauce (i don't like 'dry' tasting pizza), and pepperoni. that's my 'go to' pizza.

i've never made one, but i've always thought i'd really enjoy a pizza magherita -- fresh basil, sliced tomato, and mozzarella. 

i also really like breakfast pizzas -- made using either english muffins or refrigerator biscuit dough (pressed out into a 'crust'), salsa, scrambled eggs, sometimes some diced ham or cooked crumbled breakfast sausage or bacon, with some italian seasoning sprinkled over it.

i loved AV's white pizza, but since they closed will never have that again......
  i may try to find a recipe that comes close to AV's version, but it'll have to be tasty enough to 'hold it's own' against my memory of AV's.

okay, now it's your turn!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MMMMMM pizza

I like NY Style - kind of a thin crust (not to be confused with literal thin crust, which is paperlike).  Lots of cheese, good "fold-a-bility" meaning the dough has to be cooked properly and toppings evenly placed so that it doesn't go sliding out when you eat it.

I prefer pepperoni as a topping - it's the go to in our house.

Also love Grandma Pie's.  If you never heard of it, it's a square pie with a thinner crust than Sicilian.  The cheese goes on the dough first, before the sauce.  Sauce is usually a lighter version than typical pizza sauce. Then sauce is plopped down in puddles, a good sprinkling of Romano cheese at the end and some torn basil top it off.  It's pretty popular in the northeast areas - mostly NY and NJ it seems.  

Love white pizza also!

The only one I can say I dislike are deep dish pies.  They just seem "wrong" to me being where I come from.  Oh and ham/pineapple combos on a regular pizza - yech, I don't get it although my fiance likes it.  I'll even eat anchovies before that!

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like a thinner crust but not to the point of being like a cracker.  I like pepperoni or sausage.  I also occasionally like a veggie pizza with tomato, green peppers, mushroom and onion.  I will actually eat pizza with any toppings but anchovies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Deep dish, very light on the sauce, heavy on the cheese, green peppers and onions OR pineapple and ham OR chicken breast and broccoli (YUM), and toast that cheese.  I want to see some brown.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular crust - meat lover's pizza and everything pizza, even the little fishies.

Don't like white pizza or deep dish pizza.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NY style. Not too much sauce. Usually just cheese or if I add toppings it's bacon, onions, mushrooms, garlic and black olives. Not a pepperoni fan. It's too salty and greasy. I also want mine well done. Some browning on the cheese is a must. No deep dish. It's like a casserole in a crust. White pizza is good if made right. No tomatoes please. Sicilian? Yes- Only if I can have a corner piece.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Love, love, love Pizza!!

Has to be a thinner crust. 

I can take plain; or topped with mushrooms;  or a Margarita one (fresh mozzarella and fresh basil) or even an eggplant one (not breaded eggplant, just plain slices on top).....

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the thin crust pizza. The thinner the better. But just once I would love to try one of those deep dish pizza's they have in Chicago. I watch too many cooking shows. For toppings I like olives, onion and extra cheese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MMMMMM pizza

I like NY Style - kind of a thin crust (not to be confused with literal thin crust, which is paperlike).  Lots of cheese, good "fold-a-bility" meaning the dough has to be cooked properly and toppings evenly placed so that it doesn't go sliding out when you eat it.

Also love Grandma Pie's.  If you never heard of it, it's a square pie with a thinner crust than Sicilian.  The cheese goes on the dough first, before the sauce.  Sauce is usually a lighter version than typical pizza sauce. Then sauce is plopped down in puddles, a good sprinkling of Romano cheese at the end and some torn basil top it off.  It's pretty popular in the northeast areas - mostly NY and NJ it seems.  

Love white pizza also!

The only one I can say I dislike are deep dish pies.  They just seem "wrong" to me being where I come from.  Oh and ham/pineapple combos on a regular pizza - yech, I don't get it although my fiance likes it.  I'll even eat anchovies before that!
oh, what i would give to have some real NY Style pizza, with that thin crust! i used to occasionally (rarely, really...it was a big treat for me) walk to the pizza place down the street when i lived in the city. they had really good NY Style pizza.

wow! Grandma Pie's sounds like good pizza! 

yeah, i can't get my mind 'wrapped around' the ham/pineapple combo on regular pizza.  *shudder*

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I like a thinner crust but not to the point of being like a cracker.  I like pepperoni or sausage.  I also occasionally like a veggie pizza with tomato, green peppers, mushroom and onion.  I will actually eat pizza with any toppings but anchovies.
nice! 
  veggie pizza can be really tasty too! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll eat just about any pizza. I'm not too picky! But as for favorites. . .my most favorite is the Pizza Hut Garden Party pizza (actually, last time I ordered it I saw they changed the name, forget what it is now. But the one with spinach and balsamic drizzle on top). I like pepperoni and most veggies, not real fond of sausage or hamburger. I don't really like cooked green peppers, so if I have a choice I'll order with no green peppers. But I don't hate them so much that I'd refuse a pizza with them on it. I like fancy wood-fired Redrossa pizzas, the toppings don't seem to matter much, every one I've tried has been great.

What I like on a pizza, in general: sauce. Lots of sauce. Not too sweet, kind of tangy is nice. A moderate crust, not too crispy but not too chewy or soggy. Not too much cheese, but not too little either.

What I don't like, in general: sweet toppings. Greasy---crust or cheese. Gooey, stringy cheese.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have fallen in love with sourdough crusts for our pizzas now. Rick prefers sausage and peppers on his pizza. I'm a mushroom fan. Not a lot of sauce. We both enjoy a sourdough crust with BBQ chicken and a good smoky provolone cheese and I make that for Rick's mom when she comes down for dinner. She just loves that pizza, too.

Actually, when it comes to pizza, there's not much we won't eat (other than anchovies and olives of any kind). The pizzeria at our local mall has a hoagie pizza with shredded lettuce, a bit of chopped ham, fresh chopped tomatoes, and shredded Parm and mozz. We get that often, each of us eats one slice.

When we grill, I'll make the shells ahead of time and stack them between oiled parchment. Then we'll throw the shells on the grill, one shell per person. A big bowl of pizza sauce. I always have a good assortment of toppings: turkey pepperoni, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions and peppers, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, chopped broccoli, browned sausage, chopped ham, pineapple chunks, etc. A good variety of cheeses. And then each person makes his or her own pizza on the grill.  

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MMMMMM pizza

Love white pizza also!

The only one I can say I dislike are deep dish pies.  They just seem "wrong" to me being where I come from.  Oh and ham/pineapple combos on a regular pizza - yech, I don't get it although my fiance likes it.  I'll even eat anchovies before that

I think the pineapple would be good on pizza but not the ham. That sounds gross. 

I never heard of Grandma Pie's but they sound good. I love the square pizza's with thin crust. I live in the DC area and we don't have them around here.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Deep dish, very light on the sauce, heavy on the cheese, green peppers and onions OR pineapple and ham OR chicken breast and broccoli (YUM), and toast that cheese.  I want to see some brown.
sounds very yummy! 

and i agree about the cheese being toasted! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

NY style. Not too much sauce. Usually just cheese or if I add toppings it's bacon, onions, mushrooms, garlic and black olives. Not a pepperoni fan. It's too salty and greasy. I also want mine well done. Some browning on the cheese is a must. No deep dish. It's like a casserole in a crust. White pizza is good if made right. No tomatoes please. Sicilian? Yes- Only if I can have a corner piece.
another vote for NY style! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

MMMMMM pizza

Love white pizza also!

I'm with you on the fold-a-bility, the Grandma's pie, the white pizza as long as there are no sliced or chunked tomatoes on it, the deep dish (pizza should not have to be eaten with a knife and fork. Do I look civilized to you? 
), Ham's OK I guess. It would not be in my top 10 list of favorite toppings but it's OK. Pineapple? No. Just NO. Anchovies and green peppers round out the list of the top 3 toppings that will never touch my pizza. Ever. 

The worst pizza I ever had aside from the big national pizza chains (Pizza Hut is IMO the worst) is Beau Jo's in Colorado. Mountain pie they call it. It's all crust. Crust that they eat with honey after the rest of the pizza is gone and you're then stuck with a metric ton of --- crust left. It was awful. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New York style is floppy and you fold it, right? They sell big pieces like that at Costco :lol3:. Otherwise I don't think I've had any, even in New York, lol. We tried to find real New York pizza but only found a Sbarro's. . .which was exactly the same as the Sbarro's in Sioux Falls. But we were kind of short on time, so I'd like to go back someday and find a REAL New York pizza place. We also went to a pizza place in Rhode Island (the real kind with old (mafia?) guys folding boxes in the back room), but I was too young to notice differences in pizza at that point.

I definitely like it brown and toasted; when I make a frozen pizza I always "burn" it. But I've never been brave enough to ask a pizza place to burn it for me. . .I'll have to try it someday.

Domino's used to be terrible. Just yuck. We once ordered a pizza with black olives, and the olives tasted like bits of burned tires, seriously! Chewy and nasty tasting, I don't even know how they could ruin black olives. They're canned, how bad can they get? But Domino's has really improved in the last few years. Even the local place. Pizza Hut has gone downhill, though, imo. Except for the Garden Party pizza, that one's really good.

Last edited: