Question Of The Day, Sunday, November 5, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with installing your new thermostat! Like you, I also read instructions first then decide if it's something I can or cannot do by myself. I have found youtube more helpful in some instances. As far as attempting any electrical work I have to honestly admit I call my neighbor who is an electrician. ;) Please keep us posted when you finish installing your thermostat, fingers crossed it goes smoothly. :crossfingers:
you read instructions first, then decide if it's something you can or cannot do by yourself!!! :clap: very nice!! :D yes, youtube videos can be really helpful!

that's great that your neighbor is an electrician! :agree:

thank you! i got the thermostat installed yesterday. no problems with installing the thermostat itself; there was some complication because behind the drywall in my living room is the plaster and lath wall. i hadn't ever thought about that possibility, though the second floor walls are plaster and lath. so i made a trip over to the local hardware store (about a 3 minute walk from my house), and talked with the owner about this. the solution was a carbide tipped drill bit, to get through the plaster and lath. i learned that regular drill bits aren't able to get through plaster and lath. the two plastic wall anchors that correspond to the two screws that attach the thermostat plate to the wall needed new ones too, as i'd damaged them -- they hit the lath and just bent. after that, i completed the installation. the other problem i had was one i knew i'd have, that i don't see very small/fine things well any longer. i had a magnifying glass and a flashlight to deal with that. those thermostat screws and the screws that needed loosening and then tightening for it's wires were just tiny, very hard to see the heads of the screws to use the tiny (think: glasses repairs sized) screwdrivers. i had also paused before disconnecting the old thermostat and called the Honeywell help line, to make sure one last time that the new thermostat was compatible with my two-wire system -- it was compatible. many thermostats are compatible with systems with different numbers of wires, though not all of them are -- my new thermostat was compatible with both 2 and 4 wire systems. while talking with the Honeywell dude, he mentioned that after completing the installation and the furnace is turned back on, to set it all the way down to the lowest temp (in heat mode) and let it sit like that for about 20 minutes -- he said it needs to 'recharge', via the furnace. that piece of info was not in the installation instructions. so i did that, then turned the temp way up to 80 to make sure the thermostat was functioning properly. no problem, it runs fine. so happy and joy, i saved some money by doing that myself! :banana1:

you know, i think it's almost always the case that there is some complication or another when doing these types of things.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like following directions but sometimes I will ask dumb questions half way through. I can handle electrical stuff-as long as I have youtube or other teaching method to show me exactly what to do. I prefer working with my hands vs paperwork type work.

I tend to be like Draco and skim. Sometimes I miss things along the way. I tend to over analyze things. I will research forever to figure things out instead of asking for help.

Wires don't scare me. There's 2= hot and neutral. Just have to put like with like. I have watched my electrician when he wired up new breakers for my furnace and other things-it was actually very simple. More than I expected. I get overwhelmed when I see a bunch of wires but this was simply unscrew the screw holding down the wire=pull it out then put wire around the post on the new circuit breaker. and reinstall new breaker.. It does help to watch someone with experience..I am like a video recorder-once I see something done I can usually remember how to do it in the near future..of course anything a year or more out I won't remember.
you do well following instructions (though tend to skim), and are comfortable dealing with electrical work!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

there's something just...satisfying about doing things yourself, imo. i don't think any question is dumb. i think it's (much) better to ask any and all questions we think of, so we're able to approach the work with relative confidence.

i have a very healthy fear of electricity. however, i don't let that stop me in trying to handle some electrical work. i do make very sure that the power is turned off though, almost always just turn the power off to the whole house while working on something electrical. i figure better to be safe than sorry, as in get electrocuted! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the topic and depends on method of instructions.

Some things I do great with, other things I struggle :paperbag:

I'm also a very visual learner. I do best when I can see things, whether presented to me on the spot or via pictures. If I am shown or see something done in front of me I can copy it in 0.5 seconds and remember everything forever, no problem.

I'm pretty alright with reading instructions too, assuming they are done well.

Audio on it's own I have trouble with, especially if it is fast....I sometimes need repeating if able to request it. Even if I'm really paying attention hard!
ahhh, you're a visual learner!!! :clap: that's great!!

i do better when i see things done first, and when i have good pictures to refer to, too. :agree: yup, audio instructions are much harder for me too, especially if it's something i'm not very familiar with.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty good at putting together furniture, but I wouldn't risk anything electrical.
you're good at putting furniture together!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

i think many people are just not comfortable tackling anything electrical. and i can totally understand that!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mess with electrical things, either. But I'm good at following written instructions. It frustrates me no end when they don't make sense or are obviously translated badly from another language.

Let us know how the installation goes!
you're good at following written instructions!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

yes, instructions that (literally) do not make any sense, or are obviously translated badly from another language are the ones i simply set aside and 'wing it' on my own.

the thermostat installation went well! i had issues with the plaster and lath (original wall) underneath the drywall, but a quick trip to the hardware store and a carbide tipped drill bit got me through that.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always read through the directions, even if it's something I can figure out on my own. I like to make sure I did it right, plus I like to see if there's any additional information or tips/tricks. I think it's a first-born and female thing.
you always read all the instructions and other info thoroughly, to make sure you do it right!!! :thumbsup: really great!!

'a first-born and female thing'
-- well, that would explain why i do that too! :think: