Question Of The Day, Sunday, November 5, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

some time this next week i'll be installing a new thermostat. i've never done this before, but it seems simple enough. tonight i've got the installation instructions to print out, and i'll watch a video on doing this too. i like to be prepared! ;)

so for today's Question of the Day......

How would you say you are with following instructions? (can be for anything)

i'll start!

i always do better when i've got the instructions to look at while i'm doing things. of course, they have to be reasonably good instructions, and reasonably good pictures/diagrams are a big help.

when i have reasonably good instructions and/or good pictures/accurate diagrams, i'm good with following instructions. i like to read through the instructions before starting, so i'm familiar with the process.

i've had times where the instructions were excellent, and no problems at all. and then there have been times where i've been much better off discarding the instructions, because they were pretty much unreadable and/or with diagrams that simply made no sense. :nono: there have also been times that no instructions came with an item...:argh: that's quite annoying, but instructions can usually be found online.

okay, now it's your turn!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Funny you should ask ! I just replaced my thermostat ( Venstar T-1700 ) . I got the exact same type so I did not have to remove the backplate and fiddle with the wires . Very simple .
As is often the case the ' instructions ' were dismal. Good thing I didn't have to do much .
Be careful removing the thermostat and take cellphone pictures as you go in case you have to reinstall the old one .
Good luck ...! :wave2:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on what it is. Instructions with recipes, well, I know enough by now to do most recipes on my own and not worry about following it exactly. Even with baking, if I feel the cookie dough needs an extra egg or other ingredient, I'll go ahead and add it without even thinking about it. I might chill a dough, even if the recipe doesn't call for it. It depends on what it is.

Something electrical? I won't even go there. With my luck, even if I turned the entire house off, I'd still probably spark something somewhere. :paperbag: It does help to have the instructions right there. And I've often had to Google something, just to get a few extra tips and hints (bless Google's....heart?)

Good luck micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I hope it all goes well for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Funny you should ask ! I just replaced my thermostat ( Venstar T-1700 ) . I got the exact same type so I did not have to remove the backplate and fiddle with the wires . Very simple .
As is often the case the ' instructions ' were dismal. Good thing I didn't have to do much .
Be careful removing the thermostat and take cellphone pictures as you go in case you have to reinstall the old one .
Good luck ...! :wave2:
i can empathize with the 'dismal' instructions thing. :agree:

good points! thank you! :)

the old thermostat is a piece of junk (cheap) programmable thing. it's a very old (read: decrepit) Honeywell. it's not functioning properly. the new thermostat is also a Honeywell, but is a dial-type -- the old style. i don't like messing with the batteries that the programmable thermostats require, and i have no need to program different temperatures for different times or days. as usual, i researched this brand and the particular model of thermostat, and it's priced in the middle range -- not a cheap one, but also not the most expensive.

the instructions for this new thermostat are really very clear, and they include a 'help line' phone number for assistance when installing.

the front/cover to the old thermostat is off right now, as the thing doesn't function when the cover is on -- repair dude came out and figured out what the issue with it is, it's that the plates that the battery ends connect to get pushed back too far when the cover is put on -- that's what i had thought the problem could be, something with those battery plates. i have a home trust warranty, so could still have the replacement put in through that, but i'd rather try myself first, with the thought of potentially saving the trade fee/deductible of $125.

i've only got two wires for the thermostat, so not like 4 or more! i'm actually not overly concerned about doing this install, but will get myself organized and another read through of the instructions just before starting on the replacing. we'll see how i do with this one. i've done just one other replacement of something electrical, and that worked out just fine. that was an exterior light, by the back door; i replaced it with a double flood light fixture about 3 years ago or so. that thing's working just beautifully, i see it pop on many nights briefly -- likely some critter or another, and then it turns off at the 10 minutes point as it's set to do.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am good with following instructions on things I want to do. Electrical, nope. I won't do it.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not very good at following written directions unless they're 100% idiot proof, and include lots and lots of pictures for each step along the way. The funny thing is that I used to write training materials for our company's software. Guess it's no accident that they were mostly step-by-step tutorials with lots and lots of pictures! :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with installing your new thermostat! Like you, I also read instructions first then decide if it's something I can or cannot do by myself. I have found youtube more helpful in some instances. As far as attempting any electrical work I have to honestly admit I call my neighbor who is an electrician. ;) Please keep us posted when you finish installing your thermostat, fingers crossed it goes smoothly. :crossfingers:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I like following directions but sometimes I will ask dumb questions half way through. I can handle electrical stuff-as long as I have youtube or other teaching method to show me exactly what to do. I prefer working with my hands vs paperwork type work.

I tend to be like Draco and skim. Sometimes I miss things along the way. I tend to over analyze things. I will research forever to figure things out instead of asking for help.

Wires don't scare me. There's 2= hot and neutral. Just have to put like with like. I have watched my electrician when he wired up new breakers for my furnace and other things-it was actually very simple. More than I expected. I get overwhelmed when I see a bunch of wires but this was simply unscrew the screw holding down the wire=pull it out then put wire around the post on the new circuit breaker. and reinstall new breaker.. It does help to watch someone with experience..I am like a video recorder-once I see something done I can usually remember how to do it in the near future..of course anything a year or more out I won't remember.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the topic and depends on method of instructions.

Some things I do great with, other things I struggle :paperbag:

I'm also a very visual learner. I do best when I can see things, whether presented to me on the spot or via pictures. If I am shown or see something done in front of me I can copy it in 0.5 seconds and remember everything forever, no problem.

I'm pretty alright with reading instructions too, assuming they are done well.

Audio on it's own I have trouble with, especially if it is fast....I sometimes need repeating if able to request it. Even if I'm really paying attention hard!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what it is. Instructions with recipes, well, I know enough by now to do most recipes on my own and not worry about following it exactly. Even with baking, if I feel the cookie dough needs an extra egg or other ingredient, I'll go ahead and add it without even thinking about it. I might chill a dough, even if the recipe doesn't call for it. It depends on what it is.

Something electrical? I won't even go there. With my luck, even if I turned the entire house off, I'd still probably spark something somewhere. :paperbag: It does help to have the instructions right there. And I've often had to Google something, just to get a few extra tips and hints (bless Google's....heart?)

Good luck micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I hope it all goes well for you!
instructions with recipes are no problem, and you have the knowledge and experience of an advanced (even expert) cook and baker!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

ahhh, electrical things are not in your 'comfort zone'. i can totally understand that! :agree: i have a very healthy fear of electrical work/repairs, but have gotten to the point where i'll try tackling small electrical jobs. now, complex electrical type work (like messing around with the furnace and it's control panel) are way 'above my pay grade'.

thank you!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to skim instructions, mess up, go back and do a Do'h! moment. same with recipes.
ahhh, you tend to skim the instructions! :oops: i used to do that too. :paperbag:

learning to use power tools changed that for me. the risk of (serious) injury to my person motivated me. now i read the user manual/instructions from cover to cover, every time. it's definitely not my favorite thing to do, but i know that i'm thoroughly familiar with the tools/items before using/installing them.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
ahhh, you tend to skim the instructions! :oops: i used to do that too. :paperbag:

learning to use power tools changed that for me. the risk of (serious) injury to my person motivated me. now i read the user manual/instructions from cover to cover, every time. it's definitely not my favorite thing to do, but i know that i'm thoroughly familiar with the tools/items before using/installing them.
if its somethin gdangerous like that, I read fully.

But if its recipe making, I skim and forget to add something. lol

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I wouldn't mess with electrical things, either. But I'm good at following written instructions. It frustrates me no end when they don't make sense or are obviously translated badly from another language.

Let us know how the installation goes!

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always read through the directions, even if it's something I can figure out on my own. I like to make sure I did it right, plus I like to see if there's any additional information or tips/tricks. I think it's a first-born and female thing.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not very good at following written directions unless they're 100% idiot proof, and include lots and lots of pictures for each step along the way. The funny thing is that I used to write training materials for our company's software. Guess it's no accident that they were mostly step-by-step tutorials with lots and lots of pictures! :lol:
you do best with instructions that are very clear, and that have lots of pictures!!! :thumbsup: very good!! :)

i think those are the ideal kind of instructions, step-by-step tutorials with lots and lots of pictures! :agree: