Question of the Day, Sunday, March 5, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Because I worked a swing-shift for so many years (in a past life, many many years ago), I became adaptable at eating pretty much anything for breakfast. Pizza, a hoagie, you name it. Leftovers from the night before. Whatever was available.

But I think my favorite breakfast food is a good omelet. Pretty much any kind of omelet. And I love toast. I really just love toast. Isn't that crazy? Sometimes we'll go out for breakfast and I'll say to Rick, "Gosh, I love toast!" And I do! Just plain old buttered sourdough toast. 
 With lots of coffee. 
i can understand that! 
    i worked graveyard shift (11pm to 7am) for most of my career.

mmmm, an omelet! and toast -- especially made with a really good bread!!! 
  and yes, coffee!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

One of my favs is a couple of soft boiled eggs (not easy to master!), cut up toast made from a hearty bread like sourdough to dip in the hot yolk ("soldiers") and a couple of pieces of bacon.  

If I want something sweet, either blueberry waffles or French toast.  We had French toast and bacon this morning.

If feeling healthy, Irish oatmeal made with milk, cut up fruit and a bit of real maple syrup. Or plain Greek full fat yogurt with some granola and berries.

Lazy?A toasted everything bagel with whipped cream cheese. This is our standard breakfast. Love lox (the salty kind - belly lox) on it too.  In summer, I grow chives so I'll cut up some of that into tiny pieces to sprinkle over.  Or dry cereal like Cheerios which I still love all these years later.

Egg in general are probably the favorite here - every way imaginable.  Fried, scrambled, omelets, all good.

EDIT: COFFEE!!! ALWAYS. COFFEE!!!
ahhh, eggs!!! 
   i absolutely adore eggs, will eat them for any meal, and a great source of protein.

bagels! 
   it's hard to find really good bagels in my area... 
, and i won't buy them unless they're the really good ones.

and...coffee!!! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always start off with a cup of coffee and a cat cuddle. Then a bowl of porridge with blueberries,bananas and honey. More coffee and more cat cuddles if I'm lucky
that's such a wonderful way to start off the day! 
   if i'm lucky, i'll wake up with one or sometimes two cats snuggled in bed with me -- usually with my arm(s) around kitty (-ies).

coffee! 
   and porridge with fruit and honey! very nice!!! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have always had a thing for toast!  Lightly-toasted, with butter oozing into it...yummmm....I often eat it between meals for a snack. And let's not forget grilled cheese, which I guess is a form of toast.

I once saw a 1920's cookbook that was all about toast. I loved the cover: a sophisticated, Jazz-Age young couple, elegantly eating toast!

I/m not a big egg fan, but I do enjoy an omelet sometimes, made with shredded cheese, diced red and green peppers. And served with toast. 

I love a big bowl of Cream of Wheat, made with milk, not water.

My favorite breakfast is made by my DH: banana-pecan pancakes. I just had some today. 
mmmm......toast! and yes, grilled cheese -- which is heavenly. 

ahhh, cream of wheat!!! 
   one of my favorites, and is great for the iron it has in it. i make mine with water, then add some milk over the top with a little sugar.

banana-pecan pancakes......
  those sound like they'd be incredibly tasty!!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I splurge  on breakfast out it is always a ham and cheese omelette that comes with home fries and toast.

Now that I work from home breakfast is usually whatever I have around.  I always have coffee.  I got a Nespresso espresso machine for Christmas and somewhere along the line I will make a vanilla latte.  Often that is breakfast.  I am having one now.  
a ham and cheese omelette!!!  
   ham and cheese are so very good with eggs, like in a quiche too. oh my! home fries......

yes, coffee! and a vanilla latte......just yummy! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't you just love it?  
  I got the Inissia by Nespresso 2 yrs. ago, the cheapie machine.  I mostly use it for making an espresso or lungo. 

I have the same breakfast when at home each and every morning and never tire of it - oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, flaxseed and almond milk.  Of course, coffee is a must. 

very nice!!! 
   mmmm, i just love oatmeal. yes, coffee!

i'm one who can happily eat the same thing for days in a row. i guess i'm not particular at all. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My breakfast at home is the same everyday. Greek Yogurt with granola. I like it.

If I do go out for breakfast, 99% of the time I will order French Toast with bacon!! love that combo!

I also love to order a good omelette. I do not need the home fries, but I will take it.. need ketchup though!!

Pancakes are very rare; need bacon or sausages with them ~~ sweet and salty.. 

And of course, REAL maple syrup...

And coffee with this!
greek yogurt with granola! very healthy!!! 

yes! i love the combination of sweet and salty! 

i'm definitely with you on REAL maple syrup! though i live a frugal lifestyle, i do buy the real maple syrup.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

While I rarely eat breakfast (I know, I KNOW!), I do love breakfast foods.  I love omelets, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, toast, bagels, waffles, pancakes, grits (especially with red-eye gravy!), and English muffins with real butter and cherry preserves!  Oatmeal is lovely, too.  I do breakfast for supper several nights a week, in fact, and when I'm craving something sweet I can usually kill it with oatmeal and fruit.
ahhh, breakfast for dinner!!! 

that's a really good selection of breakfast foods you've got there!

oh my! your mention of cherry preserves makes me think about my black cherry jelly, sitting in my fridge. my goodness, i love that jelly! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't really care to eat a big breakfast, so I always have a little bowl of cheerios.

If we are talking breakfast foods eaten for dinner, I like oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, poached or hard boiled eggs, toast, English muffins., French toast, bacon.  Actually, I think I might make myself some French toast for supper tonight, now that you have made me hungry for it.  When I was a kid I would come home from school every day and my mom would make me French toast for lunch.  I like mine more gooey than you get in restaurants though, they make it too dry. I like to really soak it in the eggs/milk/cinnamon.
cheerios! YUM!!! 

oh yes! breakfast foods eaten for dinner! 

that's a lovely memory, your mom making you french toast for lunch every day when you got home from school! 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

very nice!!! 
   mmmm, i just love oatmeal. yes, coffee!

i'm one who can happily eat the same thing for days in a row. i guess i'm not particular at all. 
My mother used to make oatmeal for my sister and I, the real stuff, they didn't have instant or quick cooking oats back then. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My mother used to make oatmeal for my sister and I, the real stuff, they didn't have instant or quick cooking oats back then. 
mmmmm......
  i don't specifically remember if my mom made 'the real stuff' for us when i was a kid, though that was long enough ago that i suspect it was before instant or quick cooking too. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not a breakfast person and that's because I detest mornings- pretty strange for someone who now works from 6 AM to 230 PM. Why did I pick that? I like leaving early. The worst part? The night owl in me that still wants to stay up until 230.

Anyhow....  I do eat breakfast on my first break at work and it's a breakfast burrito. This is the brand I get. My store carries the chicken apple sausage, the turkey sausage and the uncured canadian bacon.

http://www.goodfoodmadesimple.com/our-food/

DD wants to go to IHOP next Sunday for her birthday. She wants waffles.

If I do order breakfast, it's eggs benedict (if the hollandaise sauce is scratch made (hard to find). I'm not a big waffle/pancake person. If I go to Waffle House (I love that place but the one by me closed
) I get 2 eggs over easy with extra crispy bacon, hash browns with cheese and onions, rye toast and coffee.

I love toast. Toast is awesome. Rye toast with butter- NOT margarine. EVER. I also like wheat toast and sourdough toast but rye is my #1 favorite. No jelly or jam. Just butter and occasionally honey. Yum.

#goteamtoast

Coffee is a must. I get the coffee pot set up during my second break at work so when I get there the following at at 5:45, all I have to do is hit the start button and I'm good to with cup in hand when 6 rolls around.

I do not drink coffee at home. Every now and then maybe but I don't really need it. I do not get up early on my days off unless I have to pick DD up from work after her graveyard shift. I just go back to bed after though.
breakfast burrito!!! 

oh my! eggs benedict! 
   rye bread toast......yummmm!

now there's a truly great idea -- setting up the coffee pot ahead of time, so when you get in to work it's just 'hit the start button'! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast is my favorite meal. I will eat anything for breakfast. Need lots of protein since I am a vegetarian. Love coffee, but always drink decaf tea at home. Coffee tastes better when someone else makes it.
most excellent!!!
   even though i'm not a vegetarian, i need to keep a close eye on my protein intake too -- i tend not to eat enough protein, if left to my own preference.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My favorite breakfast food is either a bagel with cream cheese and lox, or a bagel with sausage, egg and cheese. Both choices with a side of bacon and I'm a very happy person.   Being a New Yorker has it's perks
   I also love pancakes with butter and syrup when I'm in the mood for them. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My favorite breakfast food is either a bagel with cream cheese and lox, or a bagel with sausage, egg and cheese. Both choices with a side of bacon and I'm a very happy person.   Being a New Yorker has it's perks
   I also love pancakes with butter and syrup when I'm in the mood for them. 
oh my! fresh bagels from NYC area!!! 
   and pancakes with butter and syrup......yummmm!!!