Question of the Day, Sunday, March 5, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! 

this morning is very cold here, currently 4 degrees F! 
   so i plan on making a hot breakfast.

for today's Question of the Day......

What are some of your favorite breakfast foods?    (can be anything, doesn't have to be common breakfast foods)

this morning i'll be having some cream of wheat, hot cereal, which is one of my favorite cold weather foods, along with a couple fried eggs -- another favorite of mine. 

some of my other favorites are a bowl of granola with milk, fried eggs and toast with either peanut butter or margarine and jelly/jam, breakfast pizza/breakfast burrito, oatmeal, and a couple hard boiled eggs with toast. i also really like pancakes and french toast, though i don't make them often.

in the summer months, i enjoy having a bowl of sliced fresh fruit with a little milk over it.

how about you?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

It's almost bedtime over here.

I usually eat fruit for breakfast. If I have time and no exercise planned I'll make myself a big fruit salad with apple, banana, orange, kiwi and whatever else I can find. I usually have it with a tofu yogurt.

Most days I do yoga in the morning so I make myself a fruit smoothie. Just throw a banana, some kind of citrus fruit and a handful of nuts in the blender and add some soy milk and fruit juice. It gives me that little boost of energy I need to get me through the morning.

Oh, and coffee! I can't survive without my morning coffee.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Because I worked a swing-shift for so many years (in a past life, many many years ago), I became adaptable at eating pretty much anything for breakfast. Pizza, a hoagie, you name it. Leftovers from the night before. Whatever was available.

But I think my favorite breakfast food is a good omelet. Pretty much any kind of omelet. And I love toast. I really just love toast. Isn't that crazy? Sometimes we'll go out for breakfast and I'll say to Rick, "Gosh, I love toast!" And I do! Just plain old buttered sourdough toast. 
 With lots of coffee. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my favs is a couple of soft boiled eggs (not easy to master!), cut up toast made from a hearty bread like sourdough to dip in the hot yolk ("soldiers") and a couple of pieces of bacon.  

If I want something sweet, either blueberry waffles or French toast.  We had French toast and bacon this morning.

If feeling healthy, Irish oatmeal made with milk, cut up fruit and a bit of real maple syrup. Or plain Greek full fat yogurt with some granola and berries.

Lazy?A toasted everything bagel with whipped cream cheese. This is our standard breakfast. Love lox (the salty kind - belly lox) on it too.  In summer, I grow chives so I'll cut up some of that into tiny pieces to sprinkle over.  Or dry cereal like Cheerios which I still love all these years later.

Egg in general are probably the favorite here - every way imaginable.  Fried, scrambled, omelets, all good.

EDIT: COFFEE!!! ALWAYS. COFFEE!!!

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Because I worked a swing-shift for so many years (in a past life, many many years ago), I became adaptable at eating pretty much anything for breakfast. Pizza, a hoagie, you name it. Leftovers from the night before. Whatever was available.

But I think my favorite breakfast food is a good omelet. Pretty much any kind of omelet. And I love toast. I really just love toast. Isn't that crazy? Sometimes we'll go out for breakfast and I'll say to Rick, "Gosh, I love toast!" And I do! Just plain old buttered sourdough toast. 
 With lots of coffee. 
Growing up, one of my favorite breakfasts was leftover pork lo mein - cold - right out of the container.

Greasy, savory. full of carbs. YUM.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Always start off with a cup of coffee and a cat cuddle. Then a bowl of porridge with blueberries,bananas and honey. More coffee and more cat cuddles if I'm lucky

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

With lots of coffee. 
I have always had a thing for toast!  Lightly-toasted, with butter oozing into it...yummmm....I often eat it between meals for a snack. And let's not forget grilled cheese, which I guess is a form of toast.

I once saw a 1920's cookbook that was all about toast. I loved the cover: a sophisticated, Jazz-Age young couple, elegantly eating toast!

I/m not a big egg fan, but I do enjoy an omelet sometimes, made with shredded cheese, diced red and green peppers. And served with toast. 

I love a big bowl of Cream of Wheat, made with milk, not water.

My favorite breakfast is made by my DH: banana-pecan pancakes. I just had some today. 

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Pam,

If anyone gets on you about loving toast, you show them this 
:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I splurge  on breakfast out it is always a ham and cheese omelette that comes with home fries and toast.

Now that I work from home breakfast is usually whatever I have around.  I always have coffee.  I got a Nespresso espresso machine for Christmas and somewhere along the line I will make a vanilla latte.  Often that is breakfast.  I am having one now.  

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I always have coffee.  I got a Nespresso espresso machine for Christmas and somewhere along the line I will make a vanilla latte.  
Don't you just love it?  
  I got the Inissia by Nespresso 2 yrs. ago, the cheapie machine.  I mostly use it for making an espresso or lungo. 

I have the same breakfast when at home each and every morning and never tire of it - oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, flaxseed and almond milk.  Of course, coffee is a must. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My breakfast at home is the same everyday. Greek Yogurt with granola. I like it.

If I do go out for breakfast, 99% of the time I will order French Toast with bacon!! love that combo!

I also love to order a good omelette. I do not need the home fries, but I will take it.. need ketchup though!!

Pancakes are very rare; need bacon or sausages with them ~~ sweet and salty.. 

And of course, REAL maple syrup...

And coffee with this!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Don't you just love it?  
  I got the Inissia by Nespresso 2 yrs. ago, the cheapie machine.  I mostly use it for making an espresso or lungo. 

I have the same breakfast when at home each and every morning and never tire of it - oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, flaxseed and almond milk.  Of course, coffee is a must. 

If I had bought one for myself I would have gotten their cheapest espresso machine.  My grown kids went in together and got me the Lattissima Plus for Christmas.  I do love it.  The pods are a little on the expensive side but compared to someplace like Starbucks the drinks are a really good deal.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

If I had bought one for myself I would have gotten their cheapest espresso machine.  My grown kids went in together and got me the Lattissima Plus for Christmas.  I do love it.  The pods are a little on the expensive side but compared to someplace like Starbucks the drinks are a really good deal.
Maybe I should have waited and hinted to my kids about one of the higher end machines. 
  Yes, at first I thought the pods were a bit pricey too but I've found some are less than others and I like to try new flavors.  My fall back favs are the Kazaar, Arpeggio and Ristretto. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I rarely eat breakfast (I know, I KNOW!), I do love breakfast foods.  I love omelets, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, toast, bagels, waffles, pancakes, grits (especially with red-eye gravy!), and English muffins with real butter and cherry preserves!  Oatmeal is lovely, too.  I do breakfast for supper several nights a week, in fact, and when I'm craving something sweet I can usually kill it with oatmeal and fruit.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really care to eat a big breakfast, so I always have a little bowl of cheerios.

If we are talking breakfast foods eaten for dinner, I like oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, poached or hard boiled eggs, toast, English muffins., French toast, bacon.  Actually, I think I might make myself some French toast for supper tonight, now that you have made me hungry for it.  When I was a kid I would come home from school every day and my mom would make me French toast for lunch.  I like mine more gooey than you get in restaurants though, they make it too dry. I like to really soak it in the eggs/milk/cinnamon.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Don't you just love it?  

Ooo we have one also.  Best appliance investment we ever made!

The espresso is incredibly good made from it!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Ooo we have one also.  Best appliance investment we ever made!

The espresso is incredibly good made from it!
It helped me get through the day at work sometimes just knowing I could come home and relax with a warm espresso. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

With lots of coffee. 
I'm not a breakfast person and that's because I detest mornings- pretty strange for someone who now works from 6 AM to 230 PM. Why did I pick that? I like leaving early. The worst part? The night owl in me that still wants to stay up until 230.

Anyhow....  I do eat breakfast on my first break at work and it's a breakfast burrito. This is the brand I get. My store carries the chicken apple sausage, the turkey sausage and the uncured canadian bacon.

http://www.goodfoodmadesimple.com/our-food/

DD wants to go to IHOP next Sunday for her birthday. She wants waffles.

If I do order breakfast, it's eggs benedict (if the hollandaise sauce is scratch made (hard to find). I'm not a big waffle/pancake person. If I go to Waffle House (I love that place but the one by me closed
) I get 2 eggs over easy with extra crispy bacon, hash browns with cheese and onions, rye toast and coffee.

I love toast. Toast is awesome. Rye toast with butter- NOT margarine. EVER. I also like wheat toast and sourdough toast but rye is my #1 favorite. No jelly or jam. Just butter and occasionally honey. Yum.

#goteamtoast

Coffee is a must. I get the coffee pot set up during my second break at work so when I get there the following at at 5:45, all I have to do is hit the start button and I'm good to with cup in hand when 6 rolls around.

I do not drink coffee at home. Every now and then maybe but I don't really need it. I do not get up early on my days off unless I have to pick DD up from work after her graveyard shift. I just go back to bed after though.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast is my favorite meal. I will eat anything for breakfast. Need lots of protein since I am a vegetarian. Love coffee, but always drink decaf tea at home. Coffee tastes better when someone else makes it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good morning.

It's almost bedtime over here.

I usually eat fruit for breakfast. If I have time and no exercise planned I'll make myself a big fruit salad with apple, banana, orange, kiwi and whatever else I can find. I usually have it with a tofu yogurt.

Most days I do yoga in the morning so I make myself a fruit smoothie. Just throw a banana, some kind of citrus fruit and a handful of nuts in the blender and add some soy milk and fruit juice. It gives me that little boost of energy I need to get me through the morning.

Oh, and coffee! I can't survive without my morning coffee.
fruit with yogurt or a fruit smoothie! that sounds really tasty!!! 

ahhh, yes! coffee!