Question Of The Day, Sunday, March 4, 2018

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found them, too. A site search on "bags" got me umbrellas! I'm now certain that this wonderful bag is no longer made.

FWIW, Trader Joes seems to have some decent bags (including insulated ones), and the cheap synthetic bags with heat welded seams and advertising logos on them seem to be pretty good. Frequently you can get them for free because of the advertising. Also, sewing, knitting, etc. shops tend to have some decent bags, intended for crafters so they can carry their current projects with them.

Margret
it's really too bad that Totes no longer makes those bags. :disappointed:

that's good to know, that Trader Joes offers decent bags! sadly, there are none of their stores in my area. :sigh: i used to go to Trader Joes often enough, when i lived in LA years ago.

ahhh, sewing, knitting, and etc shops! i'll remember that! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once had a reusable bag filled with a quart of pickles, a half gallon of milk, a large bottle of dish detergent, and a quart of ammonia. The bagger put it in the car, but when I got home, I couldn't lift it out of the trunk. What were they thinking?
...i think that they don't think, just whatever fits together in a bag. :nono:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought a bunch of Trader Joe’s reusable bags and I take them to the grocery store. I still bag milk, meats, and frozen items in a plastic bag before putting them into my TJ bags. We do use plastic bags for cat litter, but I will also scrounge bread bags, cereal bags and the like for scooping boxes.

I’ll take my TJ bags to Target, too. We started keeping the bags in the car all the time now. I also have a special bag now for cold/frozen items now, too.
you have Trader Joe's reusable bags as well as a cold/frozen items bag, which you keep in your car!!! :cloud9: really awesome!! :D

hmmm...that's a great idea there, to use bags from bread, cereal, and etc for litter box scoopings! :agree: i don't buy bread, but do occasionally buy cereal...and bags of potatoes (which i *think* don't have air-type holes in them). :think:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have reusable bags but I rarely remember them :paperbag:. So I just get the store's plastic bags. I put the plastic bags in one bag and take them to Walmart (they have a recycle box in the entry) or the recycling center.
you get the store's plastic bags, and then take them to be recycled!!! :clap: that's great!! :D

yes, it can be hard to remember to bring reusable bags! :agree:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband made six very sturdy cotton duck tote bags and decorated them with various themes - dragons, space aliens, karate, cats, hot peppers, and southwestern (Kokopelli). They hold just enough not to get too heavy but are very easy to carry. We use them so much that he's making a bunch more. We also have two excellent and spacious thermal bags. When those are filled, we accept the plastic ones at the store. So far, there's no surcharge or discount at most of them.

Here are a few that he made. The last one he made for a friend. He's going to make one for us, too.

View attachment 221456

View attachment 221457

View attachment 221458

View attachment 221459
I love all those bags. Your husband is very creative and quite talented!!

I haven't seen paper grocery bags in a long time. Our local store (Publix) does not offer them that I know of. If they have them, I guess they want you to ask for them. They only offer plastic or reusable if you bring them in. I need to keep my reusable bags in a place where I will remember to bring them as I hate plastic bags. They are so thin and always have little holes in the bottom. If I use them for scooping the boxes, I have to double and sometimes triple them. I also hate them because when the employees at the store bag the groceries, they love to put the heavy items in one bag and do not double it. As if they are paying for the :censored: bags themselves. A couple of weeks ago, I had an $8 bottle of maple syrup shatter all over my driveway (and shoes) when the bottom of the bag fell out. :argh:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the plastic ones, I always use them for something, or lately I get the ones at the checkout for fifty cents or a dollar if I parked far away. I work in a store and will have to cashier from time to time and I can say from my experience that many customers who bring their own bags are super- particular how they want their bags packed that I often wonder why they don't pack them themselves like I do when I shop. :) Most people I help with the reusable bags want them packed super-heavy. (Not good for your shoulders).

Personally, I don't re-use even the ones that I do buy for a dollar because I have seen way too many very dirty reusable bags given to me at the checkout and it gets me thinking about the germs on them.:):think:
you prefer the plastic bags, and always have a use for them!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :agree:

that's very interesting! :think: if i were to bring my own reusable bags, i'd pack them with items that get stored together. my thought being that the frozen items would be quick and easy to put away in the freezer, the canned items in cabinets, and etc. it sounds like maybe different people have different priorities, in the way their bags are packed.

i actually don't worry about germs overly much. i figure that germs are all over the place -- on anything we touch in public places, and especially on items many people handle, like money. i think that to some extent, it's good to be exposed to various germs because it helps our bodies to be able to fight things off. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...it has never occurred to me to clean my reusable bags. Now I feel guilty about it! :hide:

I do like having all my heavy water bottles in one bag. Once they go from the cart to the car I leave them in there and pull them out one or two at a time as needed.

I wouldn't mind bagging my own groceries, but the baggers usually won't let you!
yes!! in my experience, the baggers really want to do the bagging. :rolleyes2:

i will say that at Wegman's, the cashiers ask you if you want (for example) your gallon of milk in a bag, and they also are very good with bagging in general -- they don't pack them too heavy, and i don't remember ever having anything smushed from being packed in with something(s) it shouldn't have been packed with.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the plastic bags and either recycle or use for scooping the litter box.

We have some of the reusable ones but I usually use those for hauling kid stuff.

I've seen collapsible crates that can be used for groceries. I like the look of those. They hold more and then you can stack them in the car.
you use the plastic bags from the stores, and use them for litter box scoopings or recycle them!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

collapsible crates! i hadn't heard of those. they sound like they'd make good sense though!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once ordered something from Etsy, and the seller used a ton of plastic bags as packing material. I held on to all of them :lol:
oh, very nice!! :thumbsup: that's a lot of plastic bags!

i get a lot of brown packing paper, in the boxes shipped to me. i save that, and use it in my wood burning stove.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you prefer the plastic bags, and always have a use for them!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :agree:

that's very interesting! :think: if i were to bring my own reusable bags, i'd pack them with items that get stored together. my thought being that the frozen items would be quick and easy to put away in the freezer, the canned items in cabinets, and etc. it sounds like maybe different people have different priorities, in the way their bags are packed.

i actually don't worry about germs overly much. i figure that germs are all over the place -- on anything we touch in public places, and especially on items many people handle, like money. i think that to some extent, it's good to be exposed to various germs because it helps our bodies to be able to fight things off. :dunno:
You are right about being exposed to the germs micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom ! Working in two different stores for 12 hours each day, I am barraged with things you would never want to see, working with the public. However, I have not been physically sick for four years straight now, as I am exposed to so many germs!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use whatever they have at the store - usually plastic, which I reuse for scooping litter (which saves on the bags for the litter genie). I have a bunch of reusable bags and if they start charging in the stores I'll use them, but it just seems like such a hassle to bring them along. I did buy one the other day in Petsmart at the register for $1.00 because they said the money went to the charity. I'm opposed to buying bags otherwise.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I am, they recently started to charge for bags. Plastic or paper bags, they charge 5cents per bag. No matter what store you go into (grocery store, department store..)

Some stores (Target) will give you a 5cent discount if you bring your own canvas bag. Charge you 5cents if you use one of their plastic bags. and no discount/charge if you bring in your own plastic bag.

Most of the time I remember to bring my own reusable bag. If I forget it, I'll opt out of a bag if I can carry my items. if not, I'll pay the 5cents.
you most times remember to bring your reusable bags!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

i imagine it's kind of hard to get used to, that the stores are now charging for plastic and paper bags. hearing about this from so many here, i begin to wonder when that will happen in my area. :think: i think it's likely only a matter of time.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the plastic because I use them for dirty litter.
ahhh, you like the plastic bags, and use them for litter box scoopings!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

you know, now i'm thinking about it, i can use the few plastic bags i get. i think they'd make very good liners for the small trash bags i use for litter scoopings -- give a double layer, for extra protection against developing a tear or hole in the trash bag. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect the grocery store plastic bags. I used them for different things.. mostly for trash.
I used to put one in each small trash barrel; but since Artie has a plastic fetish, I had to stop doing so...

I still use them for trash.. picking up Artie's vomit or when i have to wash him.. and various other things around the house.

If I go to Trader Joes, or another store where they have the large paper bags with handles; I will bring my own reusable bags. Sometimes I take the paper bag, but only if I have a use for it. The stores seem to fill them too much with heavy items. The handles are not strong enough to hold up..
:yeah: our Punky has a plastic fetish too...:nono: i do still use (plastic) trash bags in our small trash cans inside the house, but i keep those cans with the trash bags put away -- the kitchen trash can is kept in the cabinet under the kitchen sink (with the plastic canister that holds white sugar placed in front of those cabinet doors -- a habit i've held on to, because my little Snick :rbheart: was an expert at gaining access to various cabinets), and the litter scoopings small trash can is stored in a small galvanized steel bucket with lid that i bought at tractor supply.

you collect the plastic bags from the grocery stores, and (re-)use them mostly for trash!!! and if you go to a store that offers large paper bags with handles, you'll take the paper bag if you have a use for it. :thumbsup: great!! :)

hmmm....even those large paper bags with handles don't sound like they're 'ideal'. :headshake:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use their plastic bags from the grocery store or from Wal Mart. I have some cloth ones that I use if we go to Aldi's.
you prefer the plastic bags from the grocery store or Walmart, and have some cloth bags you use when you go to Aldi's!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband made six very sturdy cotton duck tote bags and decorated them with various themes - dragons, space aliens, karate, cats, hot peppers, and southwestern (Kokopelli). They hold just enough not to get too heavy but are very easy to carry. We use them so much that he's making a bunch more. We also have two excellent and spacious thermal bags. When those are filled, we accept the plastic ones at the store. So far, there's no surcharge or discount at most of them.

Here are a few that he made. The last one he made for a friend. He's going to make one for us, too.

View attachment 221456

View attachment 221457

View attachment 221458

View attachment 221459
you use the cotton duck tote bags that your DH made, and have two good sized thermal bags!!! you'll use the plastic bags from the stores once your totes are filled! :thumbsup: really awesome!! :)

those sound like wonderful totes, too! and the designs on them are simply gorgeous!! :cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all those bags. Your husband is very creative and quite talented!!

I haven't seen paper grocery bags in a long time. Our local store (Publix) does not offer them that I know of. If they have them, I guess they want you to ask for them. They only offer plastic or reusable if you bring them in. I need to keep my reusable bags in a place where I will remember to bring them as I hate plastic bags. They are so thin and always have little holes in the bottom. If I use them for scooping the boxes, I have to double and sometimes triple them. I also hate them because when the employees at the store bag the groceries, they love to put the heavy items in one bag and do not double it. As if they are paying for the :censored: bags themselves. A couple of weeks ago, I had an $8 bottle of maple syrup shatter all over my driveway (and shoes) when the bottom of the bag fell out. :argh:
you have reusable bags, or will use the plastic bags from the stores!!! :clap: really great!! :D

yes, finding a place that will make it easier to remember to bring your reusable bags. :think: if you could get them out to your car, you might hang them by their handles over the headrest of the front passenger seat -- just pivot them around to hanging over the back of that seat, when you have a passenger in your car...? for me, if i see something easily, then i'll remember to bring it with me. i hang my house keys on the chain lock of my door, so i never forget to bring them when i go outdoors -- living alone (with my cats, but they can't unlock the door), i need to be very careful not to lock myself out of my house. you might try hanging your reusable bags over your door knob, so you'll see them when you go outdoors...?

that's tragic, truly tragic!! :jawdrop: a lovely bottle of maple syrup (i'm assuming real maple syrup), popping through a grocery store plastic bag and shattering on your driveway and shoes. :angryfire:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you prefer the plastic bags from the grocery store or Walmart, and have some cloth bags you use when you go to Aldi's!!! :clap: very nice!! :D
Yep. Got a chance to go to Aldi today. Those cloth bags come in very nice there. Just pull the cart over to their loading area, fill up my own bags and leave. I just leave my cold items in the cart and push out to the car. I take a cooker in the back of my CRV to load the cold stuff.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get plastic whiCh I use for litter after checking for holes! I learned that the first time I got litter all over the carpet! I also use them in the small wastebaskets in the bathroom. When I have too many I take them to the Shelter where I volunteer for them to use

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right about being exposed to the germs micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom ! Working in two different stores for 12 hours each day, I am barraged with things you would never want to see, working with the public. However, I have not been physically sick for four years straight now, as I am exposed to so many germs!
that's great, that you haven't been physically sick for four years!!! :thumbsup:

earlier this winter, i caught a strain of the flu and not long after that a mildish cold. i figure that those must have been strains which i hadn't been exposed to before. but now i'm immune to those two, too! :D