Question Of The Day, Sunday, June 17, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good afternoon! :hellocomputer:

it's really very hot here again...:sweat:...forecast to be a high of 86 degrees F today, and a couple degrees higher tomorrow. i've got the ac running, and kitties and i are relatively comfortable.

for today's Question of the Day......

What do you usually/try to keep on hand during the hot weather -- beverages and foods?

i'll start!

i always keep sports drink (powder) on hand for during the hot weather months. when i'm working outdoors in the heat, i've already had a good 20-32 ounces of sports drink (prior to heading outside) and i drink a gulp or two of it often throughout my time outdoors. heat exhaustion can creep up on us!! :nono:

this year, i've started making sweetened tea, which i keep (cold) in the fridge! :D

i also have two 4-quart containers of ice cream and several pints of frozen yogurt in my freezer. :cloud9: i'll work on them over the course of the summer months, having a few spoonfuls after finishing the daily chores, as well as after mowing the lawn and working on the gardens.

and this year i have an electric ice crusher! i can run ice cubes through the crusher, then add some soda syrup or snow cone syrup to it. :yummy:

How about you? What do you do to 'beat the heat'?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Iced coffee and Iced tea. I used to prefer the tea but now I seem to prefer the coffee. Later on in the summer I keep watermelon in the refrigerator. It's still to early to get a good melon though, I won't even try this early in the summer.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do anything different. I just stay inside with air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter. The temperature inside stays the same year round. I don't work in the yard anymore and I don't stay outdoors much. When I am outside for awhile I make sure I have water.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I regularly cut fresh pineapple into 2" pieces and freeze it. Yum! I drink lots of ice water. I like cold carbonated water, too. Also, I like a dish of sherbet to cool me down.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of cold water in the fridge, for us and for the furkids. I put tons of crushed ice in water dishes 2-3 times a day and then top off with cold water. The Beast really loves the water, but the cats tend to drink more, too. They seem to like their water very cold.

Caffeine-free Pepsi for me, Mt. Dew for Rick. And since the mint is up in the garden, I'm making a lot of mint iced tea for us. We love mint tea.

Once in a while, we'll run into the local Freeze for an ice cream cone. Or buy some ice cream.

I don't use the pool as often as I used to, but today? I lived in the pool!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
90 degrees here at 4:20 PM. No idea what it was earlier when I was out, but it was brutal. Supposed to be getting up to 100 last this week. Ugh.

I don't do anything in particular different, but I'm very happy we have air conditioning in the house, car, and work.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We're supposed to break a record today it the temp rises above 96. It's 93 now with heat index up to 102. Awhile back we lost power for 4 days so I always have bottled water on hand. Other than that plenty of produce, e.g. fruit and veggies during the summer months.

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
Besides water, I like to have Gatorade and ice cream on hand but of course I don't combine those two things. Lol!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watermelon is always a nice treat on a hot day.
I am eating some watermelon right now.

I usually put out 3 cans of soft food in the morning and evening. Now with it being so hot and the cats barely touching the food I only put out a can of Fancy Feast in the AM and PM. If it is not eaten in an hour I trash it. It attracts too many flies. I also use ice cold bottle water and change it often. The cats don't drink much of it but the other animals do. Especially the birds and squirrels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iced coffee and Iced tea. I used to prefer the tea but now I seem to prefer the coffee. Later on in the summer I keep watermelon in the refrigerator. It's still to early to get a good melon though, I won't even try this early in the summer.
you like iced coffee and iced tea, and keep watermelon in your fridge -- once melons are 'in season'!!! :thumbsup: that's excellent!! :)

mmmm...i love watermelon! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do anything different. I just stay inside with air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter. The temperature inside stays the same year round. I don't work in the yard anymore and I don't stay outdoors much. When I am outside for awhile I make sure I have water.
I am eating some watermelon right now.

I usually put out 3 cans of soft food in the morning and evening. Now with it being so hot and the cats barely touching the food I only put out a can of Fancy Feast in the AM and PM. If it is not eaten in an hour I trash it. It attracts too many flies. I also use ice cold bottle water and change it often. The cats don't drink much of it but the other animals do. Especially the birds and squirrels.
you make sure you have water with you when you're outside for a while, and you're already enjoying watermelon!!! :clap: really awesome!! :D

i'm sure your watermelon is more 'in season', being that you're further south (than i am)! :agree:

poor kitties, they have a hard time of it when it's hot too! :coolcat: they know where to find some food and fresh water -- they're very lucky to have you caring for them!! :redheartpump:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I regularly cut fresh pineapple into 2" pieces and freeze it. Yum! I drink lots of ice water. I like cold carbonated water, too. Also, I like a dish of sherbet to cool me down.
you make frozen pineapple cubes, drink lots of cold water -- regular as well as carbonated, and you like a dish of sherbet to cool you down!!! :thumbsup: very nice!! :)

i could see those frozen pineapple cubes being very good at cooling a person down too! :agree:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sparkling water, gelato, recipes for cocktails and/or beer and cider.

I also enjoy putting green grapes in the freezer - they are like little popsicles when they freeze and have them as a snack :D super cool trick.

And a quick trip to the lake for a swim doesn't hurt either!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plenty of ice water and iced sweet tea with lemon. I also like kool aid.