Question Of The Day, Sunday, July 29, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good afternoon! :hellocomputer:

today's Question is just out of my own curiosity......

Do you enjoy browsing, at 'brick and mortar' or online stores? and if you do, What things do you enjoy browsing through?

i'll start!

i do enjoy browsing, both at 'brick and mortar' and online stores. :agree:

i usually have extra time when i'm shopping at stores, so i'll just cruise the aisles, looking at new and/or interesting items. i love browsing at hardware stores! :cloud9: so many interesting items there, especially tools and power tools.

i like browsing through the grocery stores too. not too long ago, while shopping at the local Wegmans, i noticed that they had started offering some new 'international' type items (in Wegman's own line) -- specifically, cans of several types of peppers -- mild as well as hot, and some very nice green enchilada sauce. i had mild green chiles (canned) on my shopping list, but bought the green enchilada sauce instead -- it was for making a batch of chili, and i used the green enchilada sauce instead of the diced mild green chiles that i usually add. the chili turned out very good, and the cost for the can of green enchilada sauce was lower than their price for the cans of diced mild green chiles (that i would have needed). :yess:

i prefer to browse items for my cats online, because there's a better selection, and often the prices are lower. :agree:

How about you?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm more of a get in and get out kind of person. if I know exactly what I want I'll buy it online but if I need to look a little bit I'll go to the brick and mortar. Although some things I buy in brick and mortar because they don't ship as well.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the store. If I'm in the grocery store (Publix) I will check out the international foods section to see if they got anything new and interesting. I'll also check out the deli section for new stuff. I found a smoked shrimp dip on Friday that I'd never seen before. It's from a small place in Jensen Beach so I picked it up. It's yummy. I like that it's from a local place- well sorta local.

I like Target and love to browse in the specialty bath/shower products section. That's how I found a new favorite brand. Soap and Glory. Their scents are lovely and they last. Soap and Glory US Home

I am a Dollar Tree junkie. I love that place. I could browse the aisles for a long time. They are opening one directly across the street from work any day now. I am SO excited for that.

I do like to browse in pet stores like Petco and Petsmart (which I prefer). The girls are very picky about food so I like to see if anything new has come in or if the tried and true brands have any flavors that they have not sampled yet.

Wal Mart? I loathe that place and avoid it like the plague. I only go there if I need something that NO ONE else has or if it's late and EVERY other store that might have it is closed. I go in, get what I need and get the :censored: out. I have never walked into that store and NOT regretted it. :frustrated:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like to visit brick and mortar stores. I can spend hours in The Container Store, Lowe's, Home Depot, Half Price Books, Sur le Table, Office Depot/Max, Bed Bath & Beyond, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, Walmart, Costco, well, in truth, just about any place. I do like Chewy online, but otherwise I don't do too much browsing unless I start out looking for something or someone sends me the URL of an interesting website. I like looking at off-the-wall stuff such as gadgets and gilhickies. I'm not much for the mauls (sic) any more. They're usually pretty boring. I used to love Sharper Image and Brookstone, both gone, alas.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I like physical brick and mortar stores more, but I agree that it does depend on the store. I prefer clothes shopping at brick and mortar stores as it's better to see the clothes in real life as you can get more of a feel for them, and it saves for any sizing issues or other errors.
I love bits and pieces stores like Hema, Primark and Tiger; as it's really fun to look through all the little bits, which you can't enjoy as much online IMO!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to browse in clothing stores because I want to feel the fabrics and try on different sizes. Shoes fit differently, too.

But online shopping is a boon. When I lay on the couch for six weeks with a herniated disk, I was able to order groceries online and have them delivered. It was a life-saver.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm going to take the time to browse at stores, it's more than likely going to be at thrift or antique stores. Anywhere else I will usually spend my time browsing at home on my computer (like looking for deals, coupons, etc) then go to the store prepared to get in and out as fast as I can.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on what kind of mood I'm in and how much time I have.

A few times a year I set aside a day just for me. And then I spend the day shopping at B/M stores. I look at clothes, shoes/boots, cosmetics. Browse the mall, hit a store and walk around, take a break for lunch, and then continue for the afternoon. I go by myself. And I enjoy the time. I go shopping to buy, not just browse. And it's for me, not Rick, not the house.

My sister and I will sometimes take a day and hit the antique stores. We don't buy much, sometimes we don't buy anything, but it's fun to look.

When we were looking for the bathroom remodel, I spent a lot of time online at various places. I would shop for an hour or two, looking at this site, then that site, bookmarking something I was interested in. I can also buy clothing at JCP online and know that it will fit, so I'm confident to shop there. We no longer have a JCP close to us at all.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the B&M stores better than shopping online, WalMart, Dollar Tree, Pet Smart, and the grocery stores. The only trouble is I don't get out that often.

For you people that have your groceries delivered at home, is there a charge for that? I have been thinking of having my groceries delivered but I worry that it might be expensive or that they might delivery the wrong products.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Give me a good 'real' shopping experience any day. A big part of it is the interaction with people. We're losing that. :frown:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm more of a get in and get out kind of person. if I know exactly what I want I'll buy it online but if I need to look a little bit I'll go to the brick and mortar. Although some things I buy in brick and mortar because they don't ship as well.
that's great!!! :thumbsup:

i'm like that too, i shop with a list and just grab the items on my list. but i also don't drive, and so i always allow some extra time at the store, so i'm not late for my ride back home.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the store. If I'm in the grocery store (Publix) I will check out the international foods section to see if they got anything new and interesting. I'll also check out the deli section for new stuff. I found a smoked shrimp dip on Friday that I'd never seen before. It's from a small place in Jensen Beach so I picked it up. It's yummy. I like that it's from a local place- well sorta local.

I like Target and love to browse in the specialty bath/shower products section. That's how I found a new favorite brand. Soap and Glory. Their scents are lovely and they last. Soap and Glory US Home

I am a Dollar Tree junkie. I love that place. I could browse the aisles for a long time. They are opening one directly across the street from work any day now. I am SO excited for that.

I do like to browse in pet stores like Petco and Petsmart (which I prefer). The girls are very picky about food so I like to see if anything new has come in or if the tried and true brands have any flavors that they have not sampled yet.

Wal Mart? I loathe that place and avoid it like the plague. I only go there if I need something that NO ONE else has or if it's late and EVERY other store that might have it is closed. I go in, get what I need and get the :censored: out. I have never walked into that store and NOT regretted it. :frustrated:
you like to browse certain sections at Publix, Target's specialty bath/shower products, Dollar Tree, and pet stores!!! :clap: awesome!! :D

i'll occasionally shop at a dollar store, and i browse the store while i'm there. :agree: there's one dollar store, located across the street from Aldi's that i prefer because everything in the store costs $1 -- not all dollar stores sell everything for a dollar.

i do enjoy browsing around Walmart, likely because i rarely set foot in the brick and mortar version.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like to visit brick and mortar stores. I can spend hours in The Container Store, Lowe's, Home Depot, Half Price Books, Sur le Table, Office Depot/Max, Bed Bath & Beyond, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, Walmart, Costco, well, in truth, just about any place. I do like Chewy online, but otherwise I don't do too much browsing unless I start out looking for something or someone sends me the URL of an interesting website. I like looking at off-the-wall stuff such as gadgets and gilhickies. I'm not much for the mauls (sic) any more. They're usually pretty boring. I used to love Sharper Image and Brookstone, both gone, alas.
you really like to visit brick and mortar stores, and can spend hours looking around them!!! :thumbsup: excellent!! :)

ahhh, Sharper Image and Brookstone! those were great stores to browse through. :sigh:

have you looked around Hammacher Schlemmer's website? they've got a lot of interesting things. it's hammacherschlemmer dot com, if you're interested.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I like physical brick and mortar stores more, but I agree that it does depend on the store. I prefer clothes shopping at brick and mortar stores as it's better to see the clothes in real life as you can get more of a feel for them, and it saves for any sizing issues or other errors.
I love bits and pieces stores like Hema, Primark and Tiger; as it's really fun to look through all the little bits, which you can't enjoy as much online IMO!
you like brick and mortar stores more, especially for clothes shopping, and you love 'bits and pieces' stores and enjoy browsing through them!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

there's one store that i miss browsing through, from when i lived in Rochester. it's Archimage (here's a link to their website, if you're interested -- Archimage - THE Monroe Ave Destination ), which has all sorts of really cool and interesting things to look through.

i also loved to browse through Rochester's Public (farmers) Market. :cloud9:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only store I will browse in is Ulta, yes I am a bit of a product junkie. I tend to go on sprees there which can get expensive. I get really stocked up on makeup and hair products then it will be months before I go back. I refuse to go back until I start running out of things. Other than that I am the type of person that just gets what I need.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only store I will browse in is Ulta, yes I am a bit of a product junkie. I tend to go on sprees there which can get expensive. I get really stocked up on makeup and hair products then it will be months before I go back. I refuse to go back until I start running out of things. Other than that I am the type of person that just gets what I need.
I love Ulta but I've never actually been IN an Ulta. I only shop online. I prefer them to Sephora .

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like Ulta, too, and get my roots retouched there, every five weeks or so. I try to take advantage of their sales, but will also buy a nail polish every once in a while. they can be expensive when stuff is not on sale. Right now, I think I have a little over $150 in points that are burning a hole in my pocket. I don't want to use them, though, because something that I really want might come up.....you never know.

I forgot to mention grocery stores. I love to walk around in grocery stores. When a new grocery opens, I go in and spend a couple of hours, just walking around, looking at various products, checking out prices. A GF used to live in New York (moved to Texas a few years ago) and she was a grocery store junkie, too. I remember when a new store opened in her area, she and I spent pretty much the afternoon checking it out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've always preferred Brick & Mortar stores. I prefer to be able to see the product up close and inspect it. I've been disappointed too many times with products I have purchased on-line. Plus I still enjoy the shopping experience especially if the store is near a coffee shop. :wink:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to browse in clothing stores because I want to feel the fabrics and try on different sizes. Shoes fit differently, too.

But online shopping is a boon. When I lay on the couch for six weeks with a herniated disk, I was able to order groceries online and have them delivered. It was a life-saver.
you like to browse in stores for clothing as well as shoes!!! :thumbsup: that's great!! :)

yes, clothing and shoes do need to be tried on! :agree: though, i've made out quite well as i've gotten older by ordering them online.

online shopping definitely makes things possible, to those who aren't able (for one reason or another) to go to stores to shop.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm going to take the time to browse at stores, it's more than likely going to be at thrift or antique stores. Anywhere else I will usually spend my time browsing at home on my computer (like looking for deals, coupons, etc) then go to the store prepared to get in and out as fast as I can.
you enjoy browsing at thrift and antique stores!!! :clap: awesome!! :D

i do a lot of browsing online too, looking for the best prices. ;)