Question of the Day, Sunday, July 24, 2016

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

The last thing I tried was some figures balsamic vinger
SO good! I got through phases of being adventurous with food, but I'm not that daring on the whole. Especially with its and coeliac disease, trying new foods can be a little challenging!
very nice! 
    you know, i've never tried balsamic vinegar. i've wanted to try it, but just have never bought any.
I love balsamic vinegar.  If you like apple cider vinegar, check this out:  http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-pomegranate-vinaigretter-salad-dressing.html

Vinaigrettes are sometimes too tart for me, but the Braggs one is yummy.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love trying new recipes.  I am inhibited ONLY by my grocery budget.   This past week I made "Alabama Crack," a candy rather like bark, but made on top of saltine crackers.  And addictive.  And good.  And I may make some more tomorrow.
excellent!

i can understand that!
  i suppose the same is true for me. although, i'm at the point that when i look at new recipes i automatically am making note of any unusual/costly/etc ingredients -- and will decide not to try recipes that aren't compatible with my budget.

that 'Alabama Crack' candy sounds interesting! i'll have to do an internet search for the recipe, and read about it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last thing I tried was some figures balsamic vinger :yummy: SO good! I got through phases of being adventurous with food, but I'm not that daring on the whole. Especially with its and coeliac disease, trying new foods can be a little challenging!
very nice! :clap:     you know, i've never tried balsamic vinegar. i've wanted to try it, but just have never bought any. :dk:
Just realised the typo in my original post - it was FIG balsamic vinegar, (not figures :doh3: ). SOO good. Definitely try some balsmic - its sweeter than other vinegars, and is one of my all time faves. White balsamic is pretty good too :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just realised the typo in my original post - it was FIG balsamic vinegar, (not figures
). SOO good. Definitely try some balsmic - its sweeter than other vinegars, and is one of my all time faves. White balsamic is pretty good too
i've been meaning to start making homemade salad dressings, so i'll take a look at the grocer's when i shop next, and see what they've got in the way of balsamic vinegar.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love balsamic vinegar. I had a seriously good fig. And a strawberry-fig that was to die for, so good. And I also had a raspberry. You can't beat good balsamic!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I love balsamic vinegar. I had a seriously good fig. And a strawberry-fig that was to die for, so good. And I also had a raspberry. You can't beat good balsamic!
Have you ever tried dark chocolate balsamic drizzled over vanilla ice cream?  Delicious!  

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

excellent!

i can understand that!
  i suppose the same is true for me. although, i'm at the point that when i look at new recipes i automatically am making note of any unusual/costly/etc ingredients -- and will decide not to try recipes that aren't compatible with my budget.

that 'Alabama Crack' candy sounds interesting! i'll have to do an internet search for Dthe recipe, and read about it.
You may not find it under that name, it's called a lot of different things.  Hold on a sec...

Cooking spray

30-40 saltine crackers

2 sticks butter (1 Cup). 

1 C light brown sugar

8oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/3 C)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Line 1 large or 2 small jellyroll pans with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.  Arrange the saltines, salt side down (this is important) in a single layer on the tray(s).  In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together until smooth.  Boil until it turns a caramel color.  This will take a few minutes.  Pour mixture over the saltine crackers, covering them evenly.

Put the pan in the oven and bake for 3-5 minutes, or until just bubbly.  Watch carefully.  Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the caramel.  When they begin to melt a little, spread them evenly with a knife.

Place the pan in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, or until cold and solid.  Remove, break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

THERE YOU GO!  I knew I could find it!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You may not find it under that name, it's called a lot of different things.  Hold on a sec...

Cooking spray

30-40 saltine crackers

2 sticks butter (1 Cup). 

1 C light brown sugar

8oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/3 C)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Line 1 large or 2 small jellyroll pans with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.  Arrange the saltines, salt side down (this is important) in a single layer on the tray(s).  In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together until smooth.  Boil until it turns a caramel color.  This will take a few minutes.  Pour mixture over the saltine crackers, covering them evenly.

Put the pan in the oven and bake for 3-5 minutes, or until just bubbly.  Watch carefully.  Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the caramel.  When they begin to melt a little, spread them evenly with a knife.

Place the pan in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, or until cold and solid.  Remove, break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

THERE YOU GO!  I knew I could find it!
awwww...thank you!
  i'll make this recipe in the fall, once i've gotten the bulk carob chips.