Question Of The Day, Sunday, July 2, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two old cats loved watching fireworks from the window., if they could have oooed and aaaaed they would have. The three I have now are not that bothered but luckily I live in an area where there are few fireworks.
i love that your two old cats loved watching fireworks!!! :clap: really wonderful!! my Mickey :rbheart: would sit on a cat tree looking out the upstairs hallway window, just watching the lightening. not scared even one tiny bit!

i'm glad your three cats aren't bothered by fireworks! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to stop and think about this one! Why? Because it seems I've always had at least one DOG who was absolutely terrified with thunder, fireworks, etc. so that one gets my attention.

My cats tend to ignore what happens outside 'their' windows. As it is hot here in July, the windows are closed, a/c is on. And fortunately the positioning of my house is such that there aren't many homes near; those that are tend not to use fireworks.

Now if the windows are open, my cats are mostly in the ideally situated cat trees* checking out sights and smells. Birds, George the resident groundhog, rabbits, all get attention.

Thunder is ignored other than that once in a great while boom which seems to be right overhead. Then the cats will jump, eyes go big, head is swiveling checking where the 'enemy' is.

* my entire house is set up for the pets; I just live here. Ha ha haa.
that's great that your cats aren't bothered by most thunder, and so nice that those homes relatively near yours don't have people that shoot off fireworks!!! :cloud9:

ahhh, yes! yours like watching the birds and other critters from the open windows. :agree: mine love doing that too! :cutecat:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy would hide behind the couch from the fireworks. Baxter and Muffy liked to sit in a open field behind my house and watch the fireworks from a nearby shopping center. My other 5 cats were like me and paid no attention to them.

Muffy
your cats had a variety of reactions to fireworks!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is exactly how my cat reacts. If the windows are closed and the sound of fireworks is in the distance he doesn't flinch but if there's a loud noise in the house he is temporarily frightened.

Our dog on the other hand was terrified of fireworks and thunder so we stayed home with him. Even with the windows were closed he would run and hide by sandwiching himself in the corner of our daughter's bedroom. :eek2:
i'm glad your Carleton doesn't mind distant fireworks!!! :clap: very nice!! ahhh, mine get startled by sudden or loud noises in our house too! usually it's just me, unexpectedly moving or dropping something...:paperbag:

awwww......your poor dog!! i'm so glad he had you to stay home with him during the fireworks and thunder. :agree:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty is ok with most of the neighborhood stuff, but we're only half a mile from the city display, and THOSE drive her a little nuts. I don't say "Independence Day," I say "Kitty PTSD Day."

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of ours aren't fazed too much by them. Cocoa in general seems to have a big tolerance for loud noises. Casper used to be bothered by it but I think seeing Cocoa NOT respond has had an effect on him. He's much calmer than he used to be with fireworks and big rain storms. Of course, he's 16 and maybe his hearing is not what it used to be but I don't think that's it. He sure can hear a food can opening in the kitchen when dead asleep upstairs!
i'm so glad that your Cocoa and Casper aren't fazed too much by fireworks or thunderstorms!!! :clap: and that's so wonderful that Cocoa's not responding to loud noises seems to have helped Casper stay more calm during them. :agree:

my three come running when they hear me using the can opener to open any cans -- it's never cat food i'm opening, their food has pop-top's. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy was terrified last night! Windows were closed & a/c on but some dumb a$$ neighbors (we live in town in a neighborhood of old tall trees and houses, it's a wonder nothing caught fire) were setting off firecrackers & some big loud BOOM ones. She didn't pay any attention to our reaction and wouldn't let us comfort her. She just headed under the loveseat to hide. Not even treats would lure her out. Stayed there for hours, she usually comes out after a few minutes and the rattle of a treat bag always brings her running from anywhere in the apartment. Noise was sporadic until after midnight. Poor girl. There will probably be more every nite until at least the 4th. She hung out in an old garage when she was a stray. It has holes in the roof and is right next door to the idiots who shoot off the scary stuff. Last year she would have been only around 1yr old and was probably terribly traumatized . Thunder will spook her but at least she will let us comfort her with cuddles & belly rubs.
July 3rd and our poor little girl is under the loveseat again, she was under there last evening too. Tonight she was bravely not hiding until just a few minutes ago, tomorrow will be really bad. I'll be glad when the neighbors run out of fireworks.
awww......your poor little Gypsy!!! :alright: how is she doing now? have your idiot neighbors run out of the fireworks yet? two years ago on the July 4th holiday, our next door neighbors (i have no words that can adequately describe them...though, i've got a few 'choice' expletives i use often enough) set off two bursts of fireworks directly in front of our living room window -- and they knew my little Snick :rbheart: had serious medical issues. some people, i just 'write them off' as the dregs of humanity.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a more rural area so the large fireworks are far away anyway, but my neighbors have their own little show - been doing it for years, and are responsible about it. My kitties are fine, the noises are not close enough to make that much of a bang. Just pops in the distance.

As for other loud sounds they are fine with too, unless I drop/knock something right beside them by accident that makes a clashy noise, then that surprises them of course.

Maisie the doggie on the other hand doesn't like big sounds, especially thunder storms.
i'm glad your cats are fine with loud noises including fireworks at a distance!!! :thumbsup: your poor Maisie.....:alright:

i'm very surprised that this year we've had no neighbors shooting off fireworks......not a single pop or bang here. and no loud, drunken parties either! that's a first here!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Link is terrified of thunder, lightning and fireworks. I try to get him in well before dusk this time of year so he is inside when they get bad. Rocket and Nightfury will startle briefly at the fireworks but if they are constant they rone them out. While Link huddles in a ball and hides.

Technically they are illegal where I am but that doesn't stop people and there is a park at the end of my street. Wide open space = more fireworks. I am hoping that one of my non emergency calls results in an arrest because the person gets a $1000 fine (just possession is $1000, caught shooting them is more) and I get a $1000 reward for a report if the person is caught lighting them. I'd like $1000.

I am a little worried because I am taking my niece to the Front Row Fireworks Show at the cemetary this year. My Dad will be home but he is more distant with the cats. But Rocket usually keeps an eye on Link when he is scared by thunder
awww......your poor Link!!! :alright: i'm so glad that he has you and Rocket to help him through the thunderstorms and fireworks, and your Dad to be there with him. and i'm glad your Rocket and Nightfury are generally okay with those kinds of noises. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a neighborhood which has a yearly 4th of July block party, along with fireworks, and bonfires on the beach. I am right smack dab in the middle of it all.

After the main party is completed, the idiot neighbors continue the barrage until 1-2AM.... ridiculous...

All I have to do is sit on my bed, or my recliner and watch the show. I mean it.

Artie is terrified of the fireworks. He will run and hide under my bed. Poor thing.

In prior years, I have resorted to putting the AC on high, closing down the blinds plus drapes, and putting the TV on loud....
oh my!!! that sounds like quite an ordeal for you and your Artie to have to go through. :hugs:'s for you, and sending gentle scritches to your boy...

i'm amazed that there wasn't even one pop or bang here over the whole 4th of July holiday!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't seem bothered by noises from outside. If it's too loud inside they will go to another room usually. The seem more annoyed than stressed though.
your Mooch and Noodles don't seem bothered by noises from outside, and seem more annoyed (than stressed) by loud noises inside!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't pay the slightest bit of attention to fireworks. The only thing that sends them all running for cover is the postman knocking on the door.
no attention at all paid to fireworks!!! :thumbsup: most wonderful!!

ahhh, yes! knocks at the door send two of mine running for cover too! while our Dude (aka, Jaspurr) is attentive, hoping for guests -- he loves pretty much all people (adults and kids).

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hekitty is ok with most of the neighborhood stuff, but we're only half a mile from the city display, and THOSE drive her a little nuts. I don't say "Independence Day," I say "Kitty PTSD Day."
awww, your poor Hekitty!!! :alright: i agree with your girl's assessment! the neighborhood pops and bangs aren't quite as bad as the bigger fireworks displays. :agree:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so glad that your Cocoa and Casper aren't fazed too much by fireworks or thunderstorms!!! :clap: and that's so wonderful that Cocoa's not responding to loud noises seems to have helped Casper stay more calm during them. :agree:

my three come running when they hear me using the can opener to open any cans -- it's never cat food i'm opening, their food has pop-top's. :dunno:
:crackup::lolup:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
awww......your poor little Gypsy!!! :alright: how is she doing now? have your idiot neighbors run out of the fireworks yet? two years ago on the July 4th holiday, our next door neighbors (i have no words that can adequately describe them...though, i've got a few 'choice' expletives i use often enough) set off two bursts of fireworks directly in front of our living room window -- and they knew my little Snick :rbheart: had serious medical issues. some people, i just 'write them off' as the dregs of humanity.
She was miserable on the 4th, the neighborhood idiots kept firing off stuff until 1am! she is still acting odd, she'll get back to normal (or as normal as she gets:crackup:) soon.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was miserable on the 4th, the neighborhood idiots kept firing off stuff until 1am! she is still acting odd, she'll get back to normal (or as normal as she gets:crackup:) soon.
poor thing!! sending your Gypsy gentle scritchins......

and i think these are many times the same idiots who have the audacity to complain about completely trivial things that bother them about their neighbors. :sigh: