Question Of The Day, Sunday, July 2, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

seeing as it's the July 4th holiday weekend here in the US, for today's Question of the Day......

How do your cat(s) react to (nearby) fireworks? How about other loud-ish sounds?

i'll start!

my three cats don't seem to mind the sound of distant fireworks much, but if they're close(r) they don't care for them. the same is generally true for thunder here. :storm:

i also believe that how i react to the loud sounds can have a bearing on how my cats react. if i say something reassuring to them, my three will most times decide that the loud noise isn't (as) upsetting. :catrub:

however, i do close the windows on the evening before and during July 4th (day and evening), just in case neighbors decide to shoot off some fireworks close by.

okay, now it's your turn!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't really bother them. For the most part, if we act like it doesn't bother us, the cats will act similarly....if that makes any sense. So when the neighbors shoot off their fireworks, we just go about our business and they do, too. Now, if there's a really loud one, louder than an M-80, for example, or if it's been fairly quiet for a while and then they shoot one off, I may jump a little.....and so will Mollipop. But for the most part, they're OK. Not fine, but OK.

When Bootser first came into the house, t-storms really frightened her and she would go down to the step right at the basement door to wait the storm out. We think that maybe she was really close to where a lighting strike hit something when she was outside. But we never made a big deal out of thunder and she eventually figured out that she was in the house and she was safe. I knew she was doing well when, one night, they were eating supper and a really loud crack of thunder hit. Bootser paused for a second, but then either she was really hungry or the food was really good that night because she never stopped eating. And eventually, she stopped going to the basement door.

I don't understand people who take their dogs to the community fireworks. A couple years ago, a worker in another department in our building had a lovely golden. Very well-behaved and she had a wonderful temperament. He decided to take her to their fireworks. They scared the crap out of her, she got lose, got hit by a truck and had to be euthanized. I felt so badly for that dog. It broke my heart.

Last edited:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats seem undisturbed by loud noises. Perhaps I have gotten them used to loud sounds by playing loud music occasionally.:sleepycat:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two old cats loved watching fireworks from the window., if they could have oooed and aaaaed they would have. The three I have now are not that bothered but luckily I live in an area where there are few fireworks.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to stop and think about this one! Why? Because it seems I've always had at least one DOG who was absolutely terrified with thunder, fireworks, etc. so that one gets my attention.

My cats tend to ignore what happens outside 'their' windows. As it is hot here in July, the windows are closed, a/c is on. And fortunately the positioning of my house is such that there aren't many homes near; those that are tend not to use fireworks.

Now if the windows are open, my cats are mostly in the ideally situated cat trees* checking out sights and smells. Birds, George the resident groundhog, rabbits, all get attention.

Thunder is ignored other than that once in a great while boom which seems to be right overhead. Then the cats will jump, eyes go big, head is swiveling checking where the 'enemy' is.

* my entire house is set up for the pets; I just live here. Ha ha haa.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy would hide behind the couch from the fireworks. Baxter and Muffy liked to sit in a open field behind my house and watch the fireworks from a nearby shopping center. My other 5 cats were like me and paid no attention to them.

Muffy

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:
my three cats don't seem to mind the sound of distant fireworks much, but if they're close(r) they don't care for them. the same is generally true for thunder here. :storm:
This is exactly how my cat reacts. If the windows are closed and the sound of fireworks is in the distance he doesn't flinch but if there's a loud noise in the house he is temporarily frightened.

Our dog on the other hand was terrified of fireworks and thunder so we stayed home with him. Even with the windows were closed he would run and hide by sandwiching himself in the corner of our daughter's bedroom. :eek2:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of ours aren't fazed too much by them. Cocoa in general seems to have a big tolerance for loud noises. Casper used to be bothered by it but I think seeing Cocoa NOT respond has had an effect on him. He's much calmer than he used to be with fireworks and big rain storms. Of course, he's 16 and maybe his hearing is not what it used to be but I don't think that's it. He sure can hear a food can opening in the kitchen when dead asleep upstairs!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy was terrified last night! Windows were closed & a/c on but some dumb a$$ neighbors (we live in town in a neighborhood of old tall trees and houses, it's a wonder nothing caught fire) were setting off firecrackers & some big loud BOOM ones. She didn't pay any attention to our reaction and wouldn't let us comfort her. She just headed under the loveseat to hide. Not even treats would lure her out. Stayed there for hours, she usually comes out after a few minutes and the rattle of a treat bag always brings her running from anywhere in the apartment. Noise was sporadic until after midnight. Poor girl. There will probably be more every nite until at least the 4th. She hung out in an old garage when she was a stray. It has holes in the roof and is right next door to the idiots who shoot off the scary stuff. Last year she would have been only around 1yr old and was probably terribly traumatized . Thunder will spook her but at least she will let us comfort her with cuddles & belly rubs.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a more rural area so the large fireworks are far away anyway, but my neighbors have their own little show - been doing it for years, and are responsible about it. My kitties are fine, the noises are not close enough to make that much of a bang. Just pops in the distance.

As for other loud sounds they are fine with too, unless I drop/knock something right beside them by accident that makes a clashy noise, then that surprises them of course.

Maisie the doggie on the other hand doesn't like big sounds, especially thunder storms.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link is terrified of thunder, lightning and fireworks. I try to get him in well before dusk this time of year so he is inside when they get bad. Rocket and Nightfury will startle briefly at the fireworks but if they are constant they rone them out. While Link huddles in a ball and hides.

Technically they are illegal where I am but that doesn't stop people and there is a park at the end of my street. Wide open space = more fireworks. I am hoping that one of my non emergency calls results in an arrest because the person gets a $1000 fine (just possession is $1000, caught shooting them is more) and I get a $1000 reward for a report if the person is caught lighting them. I'd like $1000.

I am a little worried because I am taking my niece to the Front Row Fireworks Show at the cemetary this year. My Dad will be home but he is more distant with the cats. But Rocket usually keeps an eye on Link when he is scared by thunder

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a neighborhood which has a yearly 4th of July block party, along with fireworks, and bonfires on the beach. I am right smack dab in the middle of it all.

After the main party is completed, the idiot neighbors continue the barrage until 1-2AM.... ridiculous...

All I have to do is sit on my bed, or my recliner and watch the show. I mean it.

Artie is terrified of the fireworks. He will run and hide under my bed. Poor thing.

In prior years, I have resorted to putting the AC on high, closing down the blinds plus drapes, and putting the TV on loud....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't really bother them. For the most part, if we act like it doesn't bother us, the cats will act similarly....if that makes any sense. So when the neighbors shoot off their fireworks, we just go about our business and they do, too. Now, if there's a really loud one, louder than an M-80, for example, or if it's been fairly quiet for a while and then they shoot one off, I may jump a little.....and so will Mollipop. But for the most part, they're OK. Not fine, but OK.

When Bootser first came into the house, t-storms really frightened her and she would go down to the step right at the basement door to wait the storm out. We think that maybe she was really close to where a lighting strike hit something when she was outside. But we never made a big deal out of thunder and she eventually figured out that she was in the house and she was safe. I knew she was doing well when, one night, they were eating supper and a really loud crack of thunder hit. Bootser paused for a second, but then either she was really hungry or the food was really good that night because she never stopped eating. And eventually, she stopped going to the basement door.

I don't understand people who take their dogs to the community fireworks. A couple years ago, a worker in another department in our building had a lovely golden. Very well-behaved and she had a wonderful temperament. He decided to take her to their fireworks. They scared the crap out of her, she got lose, got hit by a truck and had to be euthanized. I felt so badly for that dog. It broke my heart.
i'm glad your cats don't really get bothered much by fireworks!! :thumbsup: yes, sudden loud ones make me and my cats jump a little too. :agree:

that's such a wonderful story, of how your Bootser overcame her fear of thunderstorms!!! :)

so very tragic......:sniffle:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mowgli takes most loud noises in stride, but fireworks send him behind one of the sofas.
awww......your poor boy!!! i'm glad your Mowgli does well with most loud noises :clap:, and i can understand his fear of fireworks. :agree:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They don't seem bothered by noises from outside. If it's too loud inside they will go to another room usually. The seem more annoyed than stressed though.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They don't care. It bothers the dog a lot but the cats pay no attention to the noise

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy was terrified last night! Windows were closed & a/c on but some dumb a$$ neighbors (we live in town in a neighborhood of old tall trees and houses, it's a wonder nothing caught fire) were setting off firecrackers & some big loud BOOM ones. She didn't pay any attention to our reaction and wouldn't let us comfort her. She just headed under the loveseat to hide. Not even treats would lure her out. Stayed there for hours, she usually comes out after a few minutes and the rattle of a treat bag always brings her running from anywhere in the apartment. Noise was sporadic until after midnight. Poor girl. There will probably be more every nite until at least the 4th. She hung out in an old garage when she was a stray. It has holes in the roof and is right next door to the idiots who shoot off the scary stuff. Last year she would have been only around 1yr old and was probably terribly traumatized . Thunder will spook her but at least she will let us comfort her with cuddles & belly rubs.
July 3rd and our poor little girl is under the loveseat again, she was under there last evening too. Tonight she was bravely not hiding until just a few minutes ago, tomorrow will be really bad. I'll be glad when the neighbors run out of fireworks.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They don't pay the slightest bit of attention to fireworks. The only thing that sends them all running for cover is the postman knocking on the door.