Chopped

Unwrapped 2.0

PBS:

The Great British Baking Show

Last of the Summer Wine

WILD

The Incredible Dr. Poll
those are great tv shows! 

i like Unwrapped too! and i love Last of the Summer Wine -- so funny! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Homeland is brilliant. Been hooked since the pilot. I am watching Bloodline from Netflix. Very good family drama set in the Florida Keys.
yes, Homeland

i haven't watched any of Bloodline yet.  
   i'll have to check it out! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We haven't had cable in a few years so most of what we watch is on Netflix or Amazon.

Right now I'm enjoying Diggers.  I love to see what they find!  There is another show where they search old battlefields from World War II and recover items and things (including people 
).  That is also very interesting; but much more emotional to watch.  

For lighter watching I'm enjoying Fuller House and I love Fixer Upper too.  

I have watched almost all of The Crown; that was excellent! 
another who enjoyed The Crown
  i'll definitely be starting that series.

ahhh, i love the home improvements/renovations tv shows! 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, Homeland:clap:

i haven't watched any of Bloodline yet.  :think:    i'll have to check it out! 
Bloodline was highly recommended by my New Yorker magazine & The NY Times, but it has to be one of the slowest moving series I've ever seen. Took me at least 5 episodes to get hooked. Almost finished binge-watching season 2 now & I love it. Final season 3 will start sometime this year.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bloodline was highly recommended by my New Yorker magazine & The NY Times, but it has to be one of the slowest moving series I've ever seen. Took me at least 5 episodes to get hooked. Almost finished binge-watching season 2 now & I love it. Final season 3 will start sometime this year.
thank you for telling me that! i'll remember that, and try to get through the early episodes before deciding whether i'll want to continue watching it.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a family drama/murder mystery - that kind of thing. One of the things I love is how beautiful Florida is in the show. The sound of the water, the sound of the insect nightlife, the light - I'd forgotten how beautiful the Keys are.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Homeland is great. I like how it starts off ultra-serious, then turns into the insane Carrie and Brody show, then evolves again and again. The last two seasons in Pakistan and Europe have been fantastic.

Vikings - I only got into this show a few months ago, and it's coming to the end of its fourth season now. The fact that it's on the History Channel made me suspicious, since it's known as a channel that peddles generic reality TV, not original dramas. However, several people recommended it to me, and the show runner is Michael Hirst, the same guy who did The Tudors on Showtime, so I gave it a shot, and I'm very glad I did.

It's excellent and a lot of fun to watch. It also moves very fast compared to other serial shows. In The Walking Dead, if the characters want to travel somewhere, they have to take an episode to talk about it, then the next week will be an episode about characters no one cares about, then the episode after that is gonna show them walking to their destination...and before you know it, half the season is over and these people are still walking! In Vikings, a war chief says "Let's pillage Northumbria!" and in the next scene you see 150 warships sailing up a fjord, packed with warriors and shield maidens.

The Last Kingdom - Another reason I watched Vikings is because I'd just finished The Last Kingdom. The historical periods of these two shows overlap, and they both show the same war, although at different periods. Whereas Vikings tells it from the Viking perspective, The Last Kingdom tells it from the perspective of Wessex -- which was literally the last surviving English kingdom after a massive Viking force invaded England (which was a bunch of different kingdoms at the time) and conquered every other realm. It's a fascinating historical time.

Westworld - These huge HBO productions get a lot of hype for good reason. I can't think of any other show as cleverly written and deceptive as this one, which says volumes about the risks HBO is willing to take. No major network would ever try something like this. I wasn't really into the premise until I watched the first episode and saw how well it was handled. They make you buy in to the premise by pulling you into the story, and just when you're thinking, "This is awesome!" you start to realize not all the narrators are reliable. And that is when the first outlines of the bigger picture come into focus.

The Expanse - It's pretty simple: If you like hard science fiction and space opera kind of stuff, this is by far the best of that genre on TV right now. Space opera is extremely expensive to produce, and this show looks expensive. I liked the first season, but my only gripe is that it was a bit slow. I'm hoping the second season, which starts in two weeks, will be where the show hits its stride.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a family drama/murder mystery - that kind of thing. One of the things I love is how beautiful Florida is in the show. The sound of the water, the sound of the insect nightlife, the light - I'd forgotten how beautiful the Keys are.
ahhh, the beautiful Florida sights and sounds will be lovely -- especially during the cold weather months!!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Homeland is great. I like how it starts off ultra-serious, then turns into the insane Carrie and Brody show, then evolves again and again. The last two seasons in Pakistan and Europe have been fantastic.

Vikings - I only got into this show a few months ago, and it's coming to the end of its fourth season now. The fact that it's on the History Channel made me suspicious, since it's known as a channel that peddles generic reality TV, not original dramas. However, several people recommended it to me, and the show runner is Michael Hirst, the same guy who did The Tudors on Showtime, so I gave it a shot, and I'm very glad I did.

It's excellent and a lot of fun to watch. It also moves very fast compared to other serial shows. In The Walking Dead, if the characters want to travel somewhere, they have to take an episode to talk about it, then the next week will be an episode about characters no one cares about, then the episode after that is gonna show them walking to their destination...and before you know it, half the season is over and these people are still walking! In Vikings, a war chief says "Let's pillage Northumbria!" and in the next scene you see 150 warships sailing up a fjord, packed with warriors and shield maidens.

The Last Kingdom - Another reason I watched Vikings is because I'd just finished The Last Kingdom. The historical periods of these two shows overlap, and they both show the same war, although at different periods. Whereas Vikings tells it from the Viking perspective, The Last Kingdom tells it from the perspective of Wessex -- which was literally the last surviving English kingdom after a massive Viking force invaded England (which was a bunch of different kingdoms at the time) and conquered every other realm. It's a fascinating historical time.

Westworld - These huge HBO productions get a lot of hype for good reason. I can't think of any other show as cleverly written and deceptive as this one, which says volumes about the risks HBO is willing to take. No major network would ever try something like this. I wasn't really into the premise until I watched the first episode and saw how well it was handled. They make you buy in to the premise by pulling you into the story, and just when you're thinking, "This is awesome!" you start to realize not all the narrators are reliable. And that is when the first outlines of the bigger picture come into focus.

The Expanse - It's pretty simple: If you like hard science fiction and space opera kind of stuff, this is by far the best of that genre on TV right now. Space opera is extremely expensive to produce, and this show looks expensive. I liked the first season, but my only gripe is that it was a bit slow. I'm hoping the second season, which starts in two weeks, will be where the show hits its stride.
i'm in the first season of Homeland still -- so i'll be seeing how the story evolves! 

hmmmm......i'll have to check out both The Last Kingdom and Vikings

Westworld and The Expanse sound interesting too!

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

i'm in the first season of Homeland still -- so i'll be seeing how the story evolves! 

hmmmm......i'll have to check out both The Last Kingdom and Vikings

Westworld and The Expanse sound interesting too!
I'm sorry, I misread your original post. I thought you said you were in the 4th season...sorry, I hope I didn't spoil anything. Although I guess it's no secret that the show hops around to different locations in the world, since it follows a CIA agent on her assignments.

Westworld is like Game of Thrones or The Wire in that you have to pay attention to everything. It's not the type of show that can be casually watched, because every little detail points to the bigger picture. But the pay-off is well worth it because you reach a point where you realize there is a LOT more going on than you thought there was.

There's one twist in particular in Westworld that shocked and disturbed me for days after I watched it, that's how good that show is.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry, I misread your original post. I thought you said you were in the 4th season...sorry, I hope I didn't spoil anything. Although I guess it's no secret that the show hops around to different locations in the world, since it follows a CIA agent on her assignments.

Westworld is like Game of Thrones or The Wire in that you have to pay attention to everything. It's not the type of show that can be casually watched, because every little detail points to the bigger picture. But the pay-off is well worth it because you reach a point where you realize there is a LOT more going on than you thought there was.

There's one twist in particular in Westworld that shocked and disturbed me for days after I watched it, that's how good that show is.
no problem!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked The Great British Bake Off which it seems is called the Great British Baking Show in the US (what is that all about?) It's a pity Sue, Mary and the others

won't be back for another season.

I watch Project Runway  when it's on though I wish they'd spend more time with the process of making the clothes.

I'm quite enjoying The Good Place, I loved Kristen Bell in Veronica Mars so I'm really happy to see her on tv again.  

For news I tend to watch Al Jazeera and DW (Deutsche Abella?)  news in English because our newscasts are terrible. If I had cable tv I'd watch the BBC as well. 

I did watch the first season of Designated Surviver but I couldn't get over the gigantic plot hole near the end.

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I liked The Great British Bake Off which it seems is called the Great British Baking Show in the US (what is that all about?) It's a pity Sue, Mary and the others

won't be back for another season.

I watch Project Runway  when it's on though I wish they'd spend more time with the process of making the clothes.

I'm quite enjoying The Good Place, I loved Kristen Bell in Veronica Mars so I'm really happy to see her on tv again.  

For news I tend to watch Al Jazeera and DW (Deutsche Abella?)  news in English because our newscasts are terrible. If I had cable tv I'd watch the BBC as well. 

I did watch the first season of Designated Surviver but I couldn't get over the gigantic plot hole near the end.
I didn't know that the Great British Baking Show will not be coming back. I'm sure going to miss it. We have the Great American Baking Show now. It has Mary but not the others on the British show.  I hope Sue gets another show. I just love her.

Ellen

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Channel 4 is getting Paul the women refused to go. There will be something on channel 4 but it won't be the same.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny how tastes vary. Mary on the bake off show annoyed me intensely. Could not watch the show.

Homeland is great. I've been a fan since the pilot. Was sorry when Brady was gone, but it's still a good show.

I bailed out of Westworld. I enjoyed the parts with Jeffrey Wright & Evan Rachel Wood, but the "western" parts bored me. To me it is like two different shows. To compare it to the fantastic The Wire is strange, IMO.

After 16 years or so I have definitely bailed out of Project Runway. Not for any particular reason, I guess it has reached its sell by date with me. Last season was really good though, one of the very best.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny how tastes vary. Mary on the bake off show annoyed me intensely. Could not watch the show.

Homeland is great. I've been a fan since the pilot. Was sorry when Brady was gone, but it's still a good show.

I bailed out of Westworld. I enjoyed the parts with Jeffrey Wright & Evan Rachel Wood, but the "western" parts bored me. To me it is like two different shows. To compare it to the fantastic The Wire is strange, IMO.

After 16 years or so I have definitely bailed out of Project Runway. Not for any particular reason, I guess it has reached its sell by date with me. Last season was really good though, one of the very best.
How long did you stick with Westworld? Because there's a certain point where you realize that you're not watching a linear narrative, and that the various plot strands on the show are taking place over three or four different eras within the park. For example, William and Logan are visiting the park 30 years before the scenes with Bernard, Elsie, Theresa, etc., and the scenes in which Bernard is talking to Dolores occur even earlier than that, some years before the park opens.

The show is seeded with clues -- for example, the Westworld logo when William and Logan arrive at the park is much different than the Westworld logo used in the "current day scenes."