Question of the Day, Sunday, February 28, 2016

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
i was just saying (above) that i'd just finished making the 3rd and 4th of our plastic storage bin litter boxes! i ordered my 22 gallon bins from walmart, site to store. i bought a 6 count package of them, at a great price. i use inexpensive litter pans inside them, and have extra pans so i can easily switch them out when doing a complete change/wash out of the litter boxes. i'm finding that it's so easy to do the daily scooping now, and so much less litter is getting kicked out onto the floors too!  :woohoo:
My cats love the storage bin litter box as much as I do! Penelopy just loves to dig dig dig dig in there. I hear her digging all night long :lol3: Not necessarily DOING anything, just digging. And yes, MUCH less getting kicked onto the floor! Reminds me, I need to schlep the 40lb bag of litter to my bedroom and top it off tomorrow.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I had to buy a replacement dirt collector for the Roomba vacuum.  The bin would come loose and fall off of the vacuum but the vacuum would keep merrily spinning down the hall, picking up dirt and dust and spewing it out the back because there was no bin in place to collect it!  
oh my! i can't help but laugh, just picturing in my mind your Roomba vacuum doing that! 
I know.  I must confess, I didn't see it myself but hubby called me at work, laughing, to tell me about it.  We already call Roomba our 5th cat/toddler, because he's always underfoot and getting into trouble like they do.  Roomba sucks up cat toys and computer cords and gets stuck under furniture.  So when DH saw Roomba busily distributing all the dust and dirt it was picking up, he said it made him laugh out loud--typical kid antics.   

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

well worth the money, for a case to protect your cell phone! 

i think it can be quite hard, replacing larger/more expensive items -- like a truck. my two most recent big items that i replaced were my computer and my wood stove.
I should have not said anything-my vacuum power head has been broken so I use this small attachment head=that night it snapped in half. I have a larger attachment to use but now I cant fit it under/around things. The area that thedirt goes in is not as wide as the bar part-hard to explain-so now if I move it across the carpet it flicks sand elsewhere. I have super long hair-beater bars don't last in my house so I use a hoover canister type with the small attachment. Plus it sucks up cat litter. Don't understand why they have to dig to china?! Then yesterday at work my pants split. Luckily one of the guys was nice enough to point this out before I went into public. So at lunchtime zoom to Savers asap to find something..I bought 4 pairs-only 1 pair fits..so its either go back tonight and get the next size up or suck it up and exercise more..I already have WAY too many clothes-which the lovely cats LOVE to sleep on and leave a souvenir.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love the storage bin litter box as much as I do! Penelopy just loves to dig dig dig dig in there. I hear her digging all night long
Not necessarily DOING anything, just digging. And yes, MUCH less getting kicked onto the floor! Reminds me, I need to schlep the 40lb bag of litter to my bedroom and top it off tomorrow.
i'm glad your cats are loving their storage bin litter box! the girls love ours too, and i *think* i saw our jaspurr using one last night too! 

i cut a 'skylight' in the top of each bin, that serves the dual function of allowing light in (so they can see inside them at night) and also gives good ventilation.

i leave a bucket of (scoopable) cat litter upstairs, and it lasts a good couple of weeks before i need to haul a new bucket upstairs.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've still got my old phone but I can't give this back and get my money back so I must make the best of a bad job and learn how to use it properly. Next time I say I want a new phone stop me. Remind me of this.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I should have not said anything-my vacuum power head has been broken so I use this small attachment head=that night it snapped in half. I have a larger attachment to use but now I cant fit it under/around things. The area that thedirt goes in is not as wide as the bar part-hard to explain-so now if I move it across the carpet it flicks sand elsewhere. I have super long hair-beater bars don't last in my house so I use a hoover canister type with the small attachment. Plus it sucks up cat litter. Don't understand why they have to dig to china?! Then yesterday at work my pants split. Luckily one of the guys was nice enough to point this out before I went into public. So at lunchtime zoom to Savers asap to find something..I bought 4 pairs-only 1 pair fits..so its either go back tonight and get the next size up or suck it up and exercise more..I already have WAY too many clothes-which the lovely cats LOVE to sleep on and leave a souvenir.
i bought a new vacuum recently. i was going to buy another dirt devil breeze canister vacuum, but thought about it and decided to look at other vacuums. i move firewood to the log rack in my living room often (so lots of wood debris needs vacuuming up) and of course the cat litter debris too. so i was thinking maybe a shop vac. i ended up buying two vacuums -- a bissell zing, and an armorall automobile small shop-type vac. i actually use the armorall exclusively, with the 'poles' and the floor tool from the zing. that thing sucks up every bit of anything on my flooring/carpets/etc. the suction on it is very strong. i thoroughly vacuum the whole house every 4-6 days, and i was getting dirt/dust/etc up that really shouldn't have been there (using my old dirt devil vacuum)! and the armorall vac is small and very lightweight too -- cost a total of about $35.

...that was very kind of your coworker to point out the split in your pants.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've still got my old phone but I can't give this back and get my money back so I must make the best of a bad job and learn how to use it properly. Next time I say I want a new phone stop me. Remind me of this.
do you have a manual for it? if not, i bet one could be found online.

yes, i'll remind you. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I go in there's probably a few hundred pages telling me how to work it. I'm learning as I go along.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I go in there's probably a few hundred pages telling me how to work it. I'm learning as I go along.
that's pretty much how i learn things too. i find it so annoying that so many manuals aren't easy to learn from.

i personally like the 'for dummies' books. not because i'm a dummy, but because they're easy to look up stuff, explain things in simple and to the point ways (and there's pictures too), and i can look up topics via the table of contents or the index. that might be something helpful for learning all the functions of your new phone. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt that I'd find a book like that here especially in English.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i bought a new vacuum recently. i was going to buy another dirt devil breeze canister vacuum, but thought about it and decided to look at other vacuums. i move firewood to the log rack in my living room often (so lots of wood debris needs vacuuming up) and of course the cat litter debris too. so i was thinking maybe a shop vac. i ended up buying two vacuums -- a bissell zing, and an armorall automobile small shop-type vac. i actually use the armorall exclusively, with the 'poles' and the floor tool from the zing. that thing sucks up every bit of anything on my flooring/carpets/etc. the suction on it is very strong. i thoroughly vacuum the whole house every 4-6 days, and i was getting dirt/dust/etc up that really shouldn't have been there (using my old dirt devil vacuum)! and the armorall vac is small and very lightweight too -- cost a total of about $35.

...that was very kind of your coworker to point out the split in your pants.
yeah I work with 98% men...They kept asking me why i had my shirt tied around my waist..ummm none of your darn business. And everytime I saw the one who pointed it out I think my face turned ten shades of red...he says hey just go comando then you don't have to worry about underwear showing...Good grief..men! Yeah it wasnt just a tiny hole-the entire butt seam split-I think I felt somethign weird when I pulled them on but didnt pay any attention..and that day I decided to wear bright purple briefs with black slacks..opps...This is always a problem-they never make slacks with enough "butt" room if you know what I mean.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

Many years ago, one of the guys I worked with split his pants right directly in the crotch. It happened at work and he didn't know it. Well, there we were, both of us in a crouch trying to fix a piece of equipment with a pipe wrench. And suddenly, "they" fell out of his pants. Everything. He was commando. I don't know who was more embarrassed, him or me. I ran over to the storage shop to grab a white coverall and that's what he wore the rest of the night. I never said a word to anybody else at work about it.....he was dreadfully embarrassed about it and he kept apologizing to me. He knew the jeans were really old, but we always wore fairly old clothes because we were always filthy after a shift. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Many years ago, one of the guys I worked with split his pants right directly in the crotch. It happened at work and he didn't know it. Well, there we were, both of us in a crouch trying to fix a piece of equipment with a pipe wrench. And suddenly, "they" fell out of his pants. Everything. He was commando. I don't know who was more embarrassed, him or me. I ran over to the storage shop to grab a white coverall and that's what he wore the rest of the night. I never said a word to anybody else at work about it.....he was dreadfully embarrassed about it and he kept apologizing to me. He knew the jeans were really old, but we always wore fairly old clothes because we were always filthy after a shift. 
oh man-I am sure he was more embarrassed than you were-not like he did it on purpose..we have a rack of pants from the cleaners and I am sure I could have swiped someones pants for the day but frankly no one wears anything big enough to fit my rearend..What do you do for work? We work in a welding/machine shop making components for reactors. mostly stainless steel parts that are huge. some very challenging welding.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yeah I work with 98% men...They kept asking me why i had my shirt tied around my waist..ummm none of your darn business. And everytime I saw the one who pointed it out I think my face turned ten shades of red...he says hey just go comando then you don't have to worry about underwear showing...Good grief..men! Yeah it wasnt just a tiny hole-the entire butt seam split-I think I felt somethign weird when I pulled them on but didnt pay any attention..and that day I decided to wear bright purple briefs with black slacks..opps...This is always a problem-they never make slacks with enough "butt" room if you know what I mean.
i rarely find pants or shorts that fit me right. i blame that on mass production of clothing. women aren't all shaped exactly the same. for me, i have full legs -- and they're muscular because i do a lot of physical type activities/chores. well, the problem i have is that many/most pants will fit me in the waist and hips, but will be too tight in my upper legs...sometimes so tight that i simply can't get them on. so 99% of the time i wear sweatpants or thermal bottoms (at home) during the winter, and for shorts i just wear mens boxers (with regular womens underwear under them) during the summer months.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

oh man-I am sure he was more embarrassed than you were-not like he did it on purpose..we have a rack of pants from the cleaners and I am sure I could have swiped someones pants for the day but frankly no one wears anything big enough to fit my rearend..What do you do for work? We work in a welding/machine shop making components for reactors. mostly stainless steel parts that are huge. some very challenging welding.
Years ago, I used to work in a paper plant. I could count the number of female employees on two hands.....and have fingers left over; it was definitely a male-dominated environment and some of them were real Neanderthals when it came to women in general, let alone the women who had the gall to take a man's job. When I first started there, the women's restroom had to be locked when in use on third shift, for obvious reasons. When this incident happened, fortunately we were on third shift, so there weren't a lot of people around, just the crew people. He and I are still friends; he's married and the four of us will often go out for dinner and get together to play cards. I don't know if he ever told his wife about it; I never did. We wore fairly old clothes because we worked with a lot of chemicals and such and our t-shirts would get stained, our jeans would get stained. You can't get latex out of clothes properly. And oakite burns. My routine "uniform" for work was a t-shirt, jeans, and a pair of steel-toed work shoes (the guys always made fun of my shoes because they pretty much looked like high-top sneakers, but I hated the regular boots). And I always tied my hair back or put it up because it was really long at the time and I didn't want it to get caught in the moving equipment. Eventually the plant shut down.

I was there for 18 years and still worked there while I decided I was going to college. I took an early severance when they sold the plant the first time because I needed to do my internship for graduation and when it came time for me to do the internship (it was out of the area), management decided they had an "issue" with me taking a 5-month leave of absence. They were offering an "early-separation package" for their older employees and I grabbed it and got out of there. Best move I ever made.

Since I graduated from college, I'm a planner; my main responsibility is reviewing subdivisions and land development plans. But I also write/revise zoning and other ordinances, and work on documents that are done in-house. Overall, I really like my job, although it has its moments.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i rarely find pants or shorts that fit me right. i blame that on mass production of clothing. women aren't all shaped exactly the same. for me, i have full legs -- and they're muscular because i do a lot of physical type activities/chores. well, the problem i have is that many/most pants will fit me in the waist and hips, but will be too tight in my upper legs...sometimes so tight that i simply can't get them on. so 99% of the time i wear sweatpants or thermal bottoms (at home) during the winter, and for shorts i just wear mens boxers (with regular womens underwear under them) during the summer months.
For me because I too am muscular-I call it soccer legs-I have to buy a size up otherwise they won't get past my thighs. Often the leg part fits until they reach the thighs. Then because I have a big butt and huge thighs, the waist often is baggy. So I usually have to wear a belt. I used to love silvertab levis relaxed fit. Thosr were the only pants that I could wear. I don't wear jeans anymore because everything is now skinny leg foolishness.

I have found that Gloria Vanderbilt are the only pants that seem to fit well. I usually wear black khakis or cords. I don't like jeans because in the winter they make my legs more cold And in the summer they stick to my skin and feel yucky.y favorite pants are 100% linen if I can find a decent pair that fits ok.

I've been working in this job for 13 years. There was only two other women welders when I started. We didn't have a restroom on the shop floor. They made us a rinky dinky one out of a mop closet up three floors and no elevator. Took them six years of listening to my complaining about no way to safely decontaminate if I got grinding grit in my eyes. That closet barely had room to sit down never mind change clothes. So now we have one on the main floor. Which is really good because lately my bladder is the size of a pea with how often I have to go. I can't imagine climbing all those stairs and make it in time. Men! Yes some of the older men gave me a hard time.

One actually had the nerve to ask me why a girl like me is working this kind of job. I said something derogatory about men and how I could be home getting a check each month and have kids-this is not how I am but this person just happened to tick me off so they got an earful. They never questioned me again. It took awhile to earn their respect. Especially when they realize that I wasn't a wilting flower. Or at least I hid it well.