Question Of The Day, Sunday, December 24, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe I'm admitting this but I buy toilet paper in bulk, always have a steady supply of it. ;) I remember my mom keeping ahead because the winters can get rather harsh and she didn't want to run out.
you buy toilet paper in bulk!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

i always buy it in bulk too! and i'll admit that i've also looked into buying toilet paper by the case, but have never been able to find a better price for it by the case -- bearing in mind that i won't buy the tissue-paper-thin type.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: :santa: Happy Christmas Eve everyone :evergreen::deer:
I don't order much online, I keep an eye on the local sales and compare prices.:bliss:
you prefer to shop locally and compare prices!!! :clap: awesome!! :agree:

i've noticed locally here, that some items go on sale at certain times of the year. right now, i'm watching for Wegmans to put their 80/20 ground beef 6+ lb family pack on sale. it should go on sale sometime in the next two months, if they follow previous years sales schedule. when it does go on sale, i'll buy 5 or 6 packages, vacuum seal in one pound portions, then freeze.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, whenever I find sales I buy as much as I can afford to. I don't buy very much online though, except ebooks. I do all my online purchases with a debit card, and when it runs low it costs $3 to put more money on it. Which is something I really should be doing today, come to think of it.

Margret
when you find sales, you do a bit of a 'stock up'!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, yeah. So long as it will keep in the pantry, or I can freeze it, I buy bulk whenever I can. In January, I'll buy a big package of paper towels that will last me pretty much all year. Same with TP. If I had the room for it, I'd buy ALL of my dry goods in bulk.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but one year I bought an ANDREA BOCELLI Christmas CD for me and loved it so much, I Ended up buying a total of 7 of them! I do not consider myself a fan of OPERA but that music gives me REAL JOY! The folks I gave the CDs to all say the same, pure joy! I think it helps because its a change from my mom's PAT BOONE'S music ;) that she played uearly when we were kids!
you don't usually buy in larger quantities, but did buy 7 of an Andrea Bocelli Christmas CD one year!!! :thumbsup: that sounds great!!

I'm thinking that I may have heard some Andrea Bocelli before. :think: I believe I really enjoyed listening to it, but can't remember more than that. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the DC area and whenever they call for a big snow storm here we all run to the store to load up TP, bread and milk. With me I load up on cat food, TP and diet coke.

Yes, I but a lot of something that is on sale that I like. I shop at BJ Wholesale and buy a lot of stuff in bulk. Not because it is cheap but because it is convenient.I really need to start checking the prices online.
you buy in larger quantities when something is on sale, and buy a lot of things in bulk. :clap: most excellent!! :D

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Um...this isn't exactly "stocking up" or buying in bulk, but I am planning on ordering a crematory urn from Costo (yes, and they sell coffins online as well), just so the family won't have to deal with it when the time comes.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953
Have you given a thought to JUST WHERE YOU WOULD STORE A CASKET or urn, until it is needed??????? I guess you could pretend its a coffee table, especially till the item is needed, HALLOWEEN you would be the hit of the neighborhood!!!!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, the casket would be useless to me, and the urn will fit on the top shelf of the closet...I wonder if Abby (NCIS) ordered hers from there? LOL, what a world we live in!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really buy anything in much of a quantity. I am fortunate to have a market on the way home from work and buy just what I need. If anything, I will buy more than one Starbucks bagged coffee when the price is lowered. The news of a snowstorm, however, will make me nervous, so I may stock up a little. I always stay somewhat ahead on cat food for my little one.:)
you don't usually buy anything in quantity, but there are some things you'll buy more of in some circumstances!!! :thumbsup: that sounds great!!

Starbucks bagged coffee is one thing you'll buy more than one of, when on sale. that makes good sense! :D and a snowstorm on the way will cause you to stock up a little too.

you stay a bit ahead on cat food!! :clapcat: i do that too! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always buy the fattest rolls and biggest packages of toilet paper and paper towels. And I usually buy two at a time. We have perpetually runny noses, so we'll buy Puffs in big quantities, 18-24 boxes at once. We get Coke and Dr. Pepper when it's on sale for $3/12 pack. We'll buy 12-18 cartons. And in November and December, when it's on sale, I buy about 40-50 pounds of butter and freeze it for the rest of the year. It keeps very well. I only use butter, never margarine.

We buy meat in large packages at Costco. We have a FoodSaver, so we split them up into meal-size portions and freeze them. It saves a lot of money. I also stock up on chicken breasts when they're on sale; bone-in for $1/lb. and B/S for about $2.47. The FoodSaver is worth every penny and then some.
it sounds like you buy in bulk quite often!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

i buy butter in bulk too, once a year. :agree: this year, i bought 20 pounds, and still had about 6-7 pounds in the freezer from last year. that should get me through the year!

ahhh, you have a vacuum sealer! definitely worth every penny!! i have a Rival brand vacuum sealer, which i use for a variety of items, including meats. they allow us to buy meats/poultry in bulk and freeze it, saving us quite a lot of money! :banana1:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy some things in bulk. I always buy things like toilet paper and paper towels in bulk. Since I started buying food and litter from Chewy I buy in larger quantities so I can get free shipping. The only freezer I have is the one on top of the refrigerator so I can't buy much in the way of meat in bulk. When there is a good sale I do buy the family pack even though it is usually just me and divide it up into individual portions and freeze. During the winter the supermarket I go to has the buy one get one free with chuck roast often. I will usually buy either 2 or 4 and freeze. I am limited in how much I can do that though.
you buy some things in bulk, and as you're able to!!! :thumbsup: very nice!!

it sounds like you do really well working with the freezer space you have! :agree:

and Chewy!! :cloud9: you'll buy larger quantities of cat food and litter, and get the free shipping! excellent!! i've gotten into the routine of ordering from chewy once a month, everything needed for the month. that works well for us here.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We buy bulk when there's a good sale on something. With five cats (and a Beast) in the house, we go through 28 cans of cat food every week. And then there's the renal canned food for Ms. Pepe and the special dry food for The Beast and it all goes quickly.

Several months ago, our local grocery store had a sale on King Arthur flour, 5 pounds for $2. I bought 12 bags, stuck them in the really large ziploc bags and put them in the freezer; I just opened my last bag. I do that for all my baking products. Toilet paper, paper towels are all bought when they're on sale and I have good coupons for them.

We have two freezers: an upright (that belonged to my parents) and a chest freezer. When meat and poultry are on sale, we buy enough to see us through for a while. We use the food saver and then freeze the items. And then when they're starting to overflow, I start taking months where I only use what's in the freezer and buy no meat or poultry at all (unless a sale is so good that I can't afford not to).

We've been known to head down to the store when there's a sale on our favorite jeans and we'll each buy several pairs of jeans. I've bought the same sweater in different colors if it's on sale and I really like the style. We also go to shopping outlets from time to time, although most of the outlets are not really good for saving much anymore. You used to be able to really save at outlets, but not much anymore.

I am a coupon cutter. Yes, it can take some work sometimes, but it's worth it in the end.
you buy in bulk on quite a few items, buy on sale when there is one, and use coupons too!!! :clap: really great!! :D

ahhh, you have a food saver! awesome!!

i just bought most of my yearly meat/poultry supply in November. but i'll be needing to buy another 8lb boneless pork loin, as i've already used 4lbs of my stock up. i'm planning my 'putting up' of cooked portioned meals in the freezer for the hot weather months now.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom, when she was a teenager, had an incident in which she was babysitting 3 little kids while their parents went to the city to do their big shopping. They had no paper products in the house at all---no toilet paper, no paper towels, no wet wipes, no disposable diapers, nothing. That's why they were going shopping ;). And then there was a surprise blizzard and they got stuck in the city overnight, so my mom had to stay with the kids until the roads were cleared and the parents could get back. 3 toddlers, with no paper products in the house, all day and all night :shocked:. So she developed a bit of anxiety on the subject, and we never ever once ran out of toilet paper when I was a kid, lol. And I think I inherited her anxiety about it, because I also stock up on toilet paper. I think I have 6 Costco 36-packs of toilet paper in the storage area :/. I'm trying to cut back. The mice will sometimes get into the package (I don't let the cats into the storage area for safety reasons, so unfortunately the mice get too brave) so I'm trying to keep it down to 2 spare packs that I can fit in a tote to keep the mice out. But then it goes on sale again and I'm like Hmmm. . .

I do buy in bulk, probably too much. I generally buy packaged items so they don't go bad, but I still have too much! My friend says she thinks I could live for 3 years off the spare food I have all over, haha. I don't think it's that much; probably closer to 6 months. But still too much. I love Costco.

I do have a lot of cat stuff too. I currently have 22 40-pound boxes of Arm & Hammer litter, 8 bags of Purina Beyond kibble, and about 20 cases of canned Friskies in the storage area, but since I use so much of it, it doesn't sit around like the rest of the stuff I buy. I use about 1 bag of kibble, 3 boxes of litter, and 3 cases of canned food every week so that's only about 2 month's worth ;).
you stock up on quite a bit!!! :thumbsup: really very nice!! :)

it sounds like the main issue with your toilet paper stock up is storing it so any mice that come along can't get to it. because other than that, it won't 'go bad'. :think: have you considered buying some storage totes in quantities of 4 or 6? i have quite a few storage totes, good sized ones too, that i bought in 4 or 6 packs -- and got a lower price per by buying them that way (through walmart, ordered online and shipped free). and if you stored your toilet paper stock up in those, the totes could be stacked on one another, because they wouldn't be overly heavy.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah. So long as it will keep in the pantry, or I can freeze it, I buy bulk whenever I can. In January, I'll buy a big package of paper towels that will last me pretty much all year. Same with TP. If I had the room for it, I'd buy ALL of my dry goods in bulk.
you buy in bulk whenever you can, as long as you're able to store it properly!!! :clap: awesome!!

i'm with you on that! :agree: i'd prefer to buy all of my dry goods in bulk too.

Um...this isn't exactly "stocking up" or buying in bulk, but I am planning on ordering a crematory urn from Costo (yes, and they sell coffins online as well), just so the family won't have to deal with it when the time comes.
you know, i've never thought about that. :ruminating: that makes good sense too, to have things planned for when our time comes. as for myself, i think i'd like to be 'sprinkled', let go in the wind kind of thing. my thought being to...go back to where i came from -- i guess in a...more broad sense. :dunno:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am WILDLY jealous of all of you who have actual freezers! Although, having made a series of very exact measurements with a highly complex and accurate device (my eyes), I believe that, when I can save my pennies for it, a small chest freezer would fit in my tiny dining room and STILL leave room for people to sit at the table. I don't know why that matters, I eat in the living room, and rarely have guests.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am WILDLY jealous of all of you who have actual freezers! Although, having made a series of very exact measurements with a highly complex and accurate device (my eyes), I believe that, when I can save my pennies for it, a small chest freezer would fit in my tiny dining room and STILL leave room for people to sit at the table. I don't know why that matters, I eat in the living room, and rarely have guests.
that's great news! :D do you have an appliance electrical outlet in your dining room? i'm pretty sure a large appliance, like a chest freezer, needs an appliance outlet and also the fuse or circuit breaker for the outlet the freezer is plugged into should only have that one appliance using it. that's what i did, and was told to do, when i've had outlets installed for my upright freezers.

maybe...ask your apartment complex people about it...?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm pretty sure a large appliance, like a chest freezer, needs an appliance outlet and also the fuse or circuit breaker for the outlet the freezer is plugged into should only have that one appliance using it
Oops. If that's true I'm not doing it right at all :paperbag:. Except for the dryer (they have those fancy plugs so you can't use a regular outlet), everything is plugged into the same outlets as everything else, no separate circuits. Well, no problems yet. . .